Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 02:41 AM

10 posts, read 25,052 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are going to be moving from Aberdeen, Scotland to Houston April 28th.

My husband job is going to be in Humble; question is, where do we live.

We have friends in Sugarland, but need to be 15-20 minutes from Hubby's work. I was thinking inside the outer loop? Any good, safe zip codes people can recommend. I guess if we are close to Hwy 59 that is fine to jump on that to go to Sugarland, but I won't be working so I would quite like to be within 30 minutes of the Galleria/downtown area.

I have been looking on here, and also BE forum, but can't seem to find too much info on NE Houston.

Thank you

Em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:19 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
What are you looking for in a home, what's your price range, have kids?, what ages?

To be close to your husband's work, and still have great access to Beltway 8, I would suggest Fall Creek (closes to 59) or Summerwood.

I would also suggest taking a look at Eagle Springs and Lakeshore. All 4 of these are really great neighborhoods, very close nit, have a lot of community activities, etc and you can get to know the people who live in your neighborhood. I live in Eagle Springs and love it here. Lots of kids, lots of community activities throughout the year, close to shopping/restaurants, about 30-35 minutes from The Woodlands mall/shopping, about 45 minutes to the Galleria area. I prefer The Woodlands area to the Galleria - but I can see meeting your friends in the Galleria if they are coming from Sugar Land.

If you lived closer into town, your husband would be doing a reverse commute, and that wouldn't be bad. Other posters can give you a better idea of those communities. I can't think of anywhere I would want to live between Beltway 8 and the 610 loop on the NE side.

Houston is very large. Your husband works in the NE side, and your friends are in the SW side. That is easily an hour, even taking the beltway around.

To stay within the 15-20 minute commute for your husband, you need to look around the Kingwood/Atascocita/Humble area to live. You can look towards Spring as well. But you will be far from your friends either way. But no matter where you live in Houston, you are a heck of a lot closer to your friends here than in Scotland!!

We have friends who live in Friendswood and Pearland. We don't see them very often.

Check out www.har.com to look for homes in various communities. You can type in specific community names to look in. Also, there is a map feature that you can use that will help you get an idea of where the homes/communities are located.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,595,702 times
Are you looking at resale or new? Here are some options on areas to look into Kingwood, Atascosita and of course Humble some of the subdivisions are Oakhurst at Kingwood, Eagle Springs, Summerwood and Fall Creek, Lakeshore and Park Lakes.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
kingwood

Old 03-08-2012, 10:27 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Need to know your house budget and family size to make a good recommendation. Keep in mind that Humble and the Galleria area are on opposite sides of town so one of you will be in for a drive.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 13,084 times
If I were you I would suggest kingwood. It has the best schools in that area if you have kids and is generally the nicest atmosphere of the area. Otherwise, Atasocita, Summerwood, Fall Creek, Oakhurst. In that order.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,576 times
Hi! I know I'm a bit late to this party, but I came across this thread and since we too are from Scotland...Glasgow specifically, I thought I'd ask where you ended up?

We are currently in NY, but my husband is interviewing for a job in the Houston area. We have not been to Texas before and would like to know the best areas to live before we commit to anything. We have 2 young children, one in Elementary School and the other in Pre-School, so that is most important to us.

Since we won't know anyone, I'd also prefer to be in a close knit community so we can make friends easier.

Hope you settled in well!!

Melissa

Old 03-27-2014, 04:26 AM

403 posts, read 681,069 times
For more info on the Atascocita and Kingwood areas, look into the forums on Atascocita.com - Atascocita, Texas and Welcome to Kingwood Texas - www.Kingwood.com.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:43 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
Melissa, Houston is huge and there is no best place to live it just comes down to what part if town you work in and what your housing budget and requirements are. For comparison sake Glasgow is 175 sq.km in size and Houston 1,625 sq. km in size, not counting the suburbs which bring the total to 10,062 sq. km.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Kingwood or Atascocita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston