Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 03:09 PM

134 posts, read 298,913 times

Advertisements

Hello, folks,
My wife has situated in Houston, and I am still working in SoCa. We have little kids, and it seems like I have to quit my job and join my family pretty soon. My question is if I quit a job out of state for family difficulities, can I claim Texas unemployment before I can nail a job?
Any info is deeply appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 03:19 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,224,489 times
2. Your separation from your last work
You must be unemployed or partially unemployed (reduced hours) through no fault of your own to receive benefits.
Examples of qualifying reasons are:
  • You were laid off due to lack of work.
  • You are still working but the employer reduced your hours. (Your reduction in hours must not be because of a disciplinary action.)
  • You were fired without work-related misconduct. Examples of misconduct are a violation of company policy; violation of law; neglect or mismanagement of your position; or failure to perform your work acceptably if you are capable of doing so.
  • You quit your job for a good well-documented work-related or medical reason. You should be prepared to present evidence that you tried to correct the problem before you quit.
    TWC may rule good cause if the work situation would cause a person who truly wants to keep the job to leave it.
    • Examples of possible good cause are unsafe working conditions or a significant change in hiring agreement, or not receiving payment for your work.
    • Examples of medical reasons are quitting on your doctor's advice, or quitting to care for a minor child, or quitting to care for a terminally ill spouse if there is no alternative care provider.
  • You quit to protect yourself from family violence or stalking, evidenced by an active or recently issued protective order, a police record documenting family violence or stalking directed against you, or medical documentation of family violence against you.
In addition:
  • If you quit to move with your husband or wife, you may be able to receive benefits after a disqualification of 6 to 25 weeks. This is a disqualification of both time and money, because we must subtract the number of weeks from your total benefits.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:32 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,578,788 times
I doubt you can quit an out of state job, and expect the Texas Unemployment Commission to support you. If that were the case, the line would stretch from downtown Houston to southern california anyway, so you wouldn't make much headway.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:40 PM

847 posts, read 1,762,441 times
i agree with rch, i would think it would be better if you tried to collect California unemployment, then just update your address with your new texas address....and continue to look for employement here.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 PM

Thanks for both HoustonRonnie and RCH99.
By the way, Mr./Mrs. RCH99, I think me and my wife paid taxes for years as we worked in Ca, and some of them went to the Union called federal taxation, don't you agree?

Old 02-10-2012, 03:54 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,578,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiminpenumbra View Post
Thanks for both HoustonRonnie and RCH99.
By the way, Mr./Mrs. RCH99, I think me and my wife paid taxes for years as we worked in Ca, and some of them went to the Union called federal taxation, don't you agree?
I would hope that you paid your taxes to the Union called federal taxation, however, that doesn't have much to to do with what you are asking here. I was just trying to answer your question. If you want to know if the TEC will cut you a weekly check due to your situation, why don't you call them and find out if they will?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:21 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,248,437 times
You can't collect unemployment in Texas. Your company doesn't pay Unemployment insurance in TX, they do so in CA.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 PM

Dear RCH99
This is just a forum to get some general info, nothing else indeed. Also, I am not asking anyone to "support" me, the idea is just to get through a cross-state move, and get situated. We started paying our rent, groceries, day-care, and everything else from our savings (made in California, opps...) in Houston after federal taxation, so that your hope can be rested.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,521,494 times
Unemployment Insurance Benefits Information

I am not sure but I think since your last employment was in CA you would be eligible to collect CA UE benefits. I would call your CA office and find out for sure. As well as to make sure you are eligible to receive payments.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/

Last edited by TVC15; 02-10-2012 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: