Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,236,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
we don't really, with the exception of the texans. But, none of the texans are from here i don't think.

I say, why not a randy quaid statue in bellaire? Get him in a nice pose, maybe like the one in his robe in "christmas vacation".

They could even put a sign underneath that reads, "i don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh?"

also, i think jennifer garner may have lived here until she was about 10 months old.
lol... :d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 10:20 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,377,941 times
In a metro of around six million people, how could anyone possibly know what amount of talent exists in Houston? It's out there, but it just isn't recognized.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,030,594 times
Heck Britney Spears, Justin Bieber and other teeny boppers have statues, but just like Houstonians to not have pride in their own.

Beyonce has been going strong for what 15 years now? bieber has been around for what 6 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Does Michael Jackson even have a monument anywhere?
Yeah, all around the world.

I like this one in Russia:

You'd be surprised by how many Michael Statues there are around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I agree with this. Chicago has an MJ statue and he's still living. Why not? It doesn't hurt. Being home to a superstar can't hurt Houston's national image. In fact, it might do it some good to move away from the "stereotypes" that people have about Houston.
Totally agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
We have a Shaq statute in front of LSU P. Mach Center, but Beyonce isn't Shaq...
Thank God she isn't

Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 AM

I wonder if the "Spirit of Houston" monument is still on the table. I know things fell through after the guy who was supposed to build it died, but I think it would have been a good tourist boost for the city if it was built.

This is what it would have looked like:

but Metallic in color and 555 feet tall.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,066,818 times
that would be ridiculous, just like the beyonce statue. she may have been born and raised here or visit her mums but she lives in NYC

Old 02-05-2012, 11:33 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times
Shouldn't statues be reserved for people that contriute something huge to society?

I like Beyonce - but she is an entertainer, she didn't discover the cure to cancer.

Dr. Debakey's statue is in Louisiana. I know he was born there - but he is associated closer to Houston. Does he have a statue here?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
that would be ridiculous, just like the beyonce statue. she may have been born and raised here or visit her mums but she lives in NYC
lots of celebs live in other places.
Very Few live where they are are born.

You don't see Britney Spears or Brandy Norwood repping Macomb, Mississippi

Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Shouldn't statues be reserved for people that contriute something huge to society?

I like Beyonce - but she is an entertainer, she didn't discover the cure to cancer.
Not always. Statutes serve multiple purposes. Some cities use it as tourist attractions. I remember when I was in Dublin, there were scores of people going around trying to take as many pictures of the cities multitude of statues as they can.

Downtown Houston especially is really sterile. having things to look at other than buildings is a plus in my book. And if its Beyonce people have a problem with, then fine, People like Michael Debakey or Dr Shearer are more deserving. Dunno how many people would go around taking pictures with him though.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:56 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,377,941 times
Spirit of Houston lookin' kinda thick. Too much chicken and tacos, maybe.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Spirit of Houston lookin' kinda thick. Too much chicken and tacos, maybe.
well it has to be representative It is our spirit after all. LOL.

here it is in color:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: