Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,496,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m48xhp View Post
Also, as a first time buying couple, PLEASE pay attention to the tax rate and HOA fees. This can be the difference between buying a 220k house in one neighborhood, or a 270k house in another neighborhood. also, there is no good reason to just look at brand new homes. So many other established neighborhoods with appreciating values that have houses only a few years old. new Territory, Canyon Gate, Greatwood, Orchard Lake, Riverpark, etc.

Yes, definitely watch out for all the HOA and MUD taxes and other fees. Taxes will also usually go up significantly the year after you buy that house so keep that in mind.
I also never understood the great appeal of brand new homes, unless you're going to do a custom built and have everything to your liking. New homes means you'll have to pay extra for window treatment, landscaping, and other little touches that really add up fast. If previous owner of used house has tcare aken of their house well, I'd rather that. Sometimes they paid for patio/pool, outdoor kitchen, storage/racks and stuff that they often won't recoup with the sale. Plus if the community has been built out, you're more likely to get appreciation. Just my 2c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:06 PM

8 posts, read 20,824 times
Thank y'all for the tips and opinions..

My wife and I took a drive up to Aliana yesterday and both of us weren't impress by it somehow. It took us about 20 mins from Hwy 59 to Aliana and there are about 6 to 7 traffic lights along the way and the surrounding area does not look pleasant to our eyes..

We may revisit Riverpark West..

Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 AM

833 posts, read 1,888,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Yes, definitely watch out for all the HOA and MUD taxes and other fees. Taxes will also usually go up significantly the year after you buy that house so keep that in mind.
I also never understood the great appeal of brand new homes, unless you're going to do a custom built and have everything to your liking. New homes means you'll have to pay extra for window treatment, landscaping, and other little touches that really add up fast. If previous owner of used house has tcare aken of their house well, I'd rather that. Sometimes they paid for patio/pool, outdoor kitchen, storage/racks and stuff that they often won't recoup with the sale. Plus if the community has been built out, you're more likely to get appreciation. Just my 2c.
But how many used homes are taken care of very well? Everyone has different tastes and you maybe gutting the place to repaint, carpet, flooring and all those extra touches that you mentioned. In todays economy why do you have to pay extra for window treatments, landscaping and other little touches on a new home? I had the builder add all that stuff in for free or I would not sign on the dotted line and just moved in and decorated a little.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:04 PM

169 posts, read 799,442 times
I'd have another look at New Territory and Greatwood. Newer subdivisions will have higher taxes and MUD/LID. I pay 3K for my property tax in New Territory, and an additional 1100 for my MUD & LID. The same valued house in RPW is closer to 6K in property tax and the MUD & LID are higher as well. It makes a difference.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:39 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,496,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
But how many used homes are taken care of very well? Everyone has different tastes and you maybe gutting the place to repaint, carpet, flooring and all those extra touches that you mentioned. In todays economy why do you have to pay extra for window treatments, landscaping and other little touches on a new home? I had the builder add all that stuff in for free or I would not sign on the dotted line and just moved in and decorated a little.
Actually, I found alot. I'm not talking about really really old houses (but I've been surprised by what's inside some of those old bungalows in WestU and Tanglewood, sometimes extremely modern with all the bells and whistles) but Im more talking about a gently used <20yo, 1-2 previous owner homes. I can remember looking at a few that were very updated with patios/outdoor kitchens, pools, 2bl paned glasses etc that were listed at about the same price as other same floorplans that didn't have those eatures. Absolutely everyone has diferent tastes and you have to view alot to find the right one, but same can be said for spec homes although you may have to go through fewer to find the one since you can decorate from a blank canvas. I too love brand new houses, but I'd only buy one if I get to choose the lot, floorplan and all the finish outs, which means I'll have to splurge a little more than a spec home. And as mentioned, a gently used home usu means less tax, MUD and more likelihood of appreciation. Plus you already know if the neighborhood is stable or not (ie, Aliana and Lakes of Bella Terra didn't develop as quickly as thought). Anyway, I'm definitely not against new homes, just pointing out to the OP that if they haven't found something brand new to their liking, that there are advantages of a gently used house.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 PM

286 posts, read 555,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asli501 View Post
Thank y'all for the tips and opinions..

My wife and I took a drive up to Aliana yesterday and both of us weren't impress by it somehow. It took us about 20 mins from Hwy 59 to Aliana and there are about 6 to 7 traffic lights along the way and the surrounding area does not look pleasant to our eyes..

We may revisit Riverpark West..
US59 to Aliana via Grand Parkway is less than 7 miles, and it's possible to avoid all the lights once the tollway is complete.

Also Riverpark West is 545 acres which isn't all that large, Riverpark is 800 acres, while Aliana is 2000 acres.

Riverpark West isn't all that comparable to Aliana since Aliana homes are more expensive. Also Aliana is zoned to FBISD and eventually will have its own elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston