Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:46 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,547,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

However, there is a totally remodeled one on Queensbury that's within your price range. To give you an idea of what you can do with another house.That one is rather nice. Is it too small or do you need a 5th bedroom? Future garage additions are always an option.
oops. Just went sale pending...Maybe our OP got it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 PM

35 posts, read 61,459 times
Haha..no we didn't get it. That was the one I mentioned "bidding wars" about :-)

We are trying to be in Wilchester/Rummel Creek Elem. and Memorial Middle neighborhoods, which cuts down the available house list even further. On top of that we do not want to get 2100 SF house.

We will just have to hang in there and wait for the our hosue to pop up :-)

Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,061,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meers View Post
Haha..no we didn't get it. That was the one I mentioned "bidding wars" about :-)

We are trying to be in Wilchester/Rummel Creek Elem. and Memorial Middle neighborhoods, which cuts down the available house list even further. On top of that we do not want to get 2100 SF house.

We will just have to hang in there and wait for the our hosue to pop up :-)
Just be sure to be proactive about the search!

Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 PM

I am trying real hard to be proactive! The houses just don't stick around more than a day or two--the good ones. At this point I just need to know who all are planning to sell and start knocking on their door ;-)

ANother question I had is -- Is this area worth all this? I love the area for how it looks and ofcourse the schools are great. My husband and I keep going back and forth whether we should keep pursuing Memorial West or just forget about the area and move west. Its an emotional roller coaster..who would have thought!

Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,969,954 times
Quote:
I am trying real hard to be proactive! The houses just don't stick around more than a day or two--the good ones. At this point I just need to know who all are planning to sell and start knocking on their door ;-)

ANother question I had is -- Is this area worth all this? I love the area for how it looks and ofcourse the schools are great. My husband and I keep going back and forth whether we should keep pursuing Memorial West or just forget about the area and move west. Its an emotional roller coaster..who would have thought!

Given your very specific school search maybe so. Meadowood and Nottingham are very good schools also and spring forest is a fine middle school but with your aim you might have better luck in cinco ranch finding a house quickly with schools you'll find acceptable for your budget. Otherwise patience is a virtue and make sure your agent is in a group that knows where the pocket sales are happening else you'll probably keep being frustrated.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,061,265 times
Quote:

It is! I've had a client look for over 1 year trying to find the right home in the area. First they thought about remodeling, then they decided to purchase a remodeled home. They finally fell in love with a $520k 1 story, 4 bed ranch home in 77024. Which did receive several offers.

Just keep at it and make your best reasonable offer on the home(s) that you really love. It's a seller's market in the area.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:40 PM

^^^

Pocket Sales and Listings are probably the majority of your problem. People don't have to go through the hassle of putting the house on the market, they just tell their agent friend they want to sell, and to only bring a serious buyers to view the house. The minute a contract comes in they hit the MLS...sold in a day.

Hopefully your agent gets those pocket listings.

Anyway, it's up to you if you think it's worth the hassle. But guaranteed, if you don't someone else will. Hang in there, most listings come on the market in March and April. But unlike farther out, you still won't have 100's to chose from.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:51 PM

Thank you all!
EA - you mentioend remdoeling..in general, how much does it cost to remodel a kitchen and bathroom? Just a ball park, I realize there are different components to each remodel.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Thank you all!
EA - you mentioend remdoeling..in general, how much does it cost to remodel a kitchen and bathroom? Just a ball park, I realize there are different components to each remodel.

Depends on the grade of material. But you can create a nice master bath, gutted to the studs, with new lights and plumbing, granite and high end flooring. Tub and separate shower with glass surround for about 10-15k. Nice secondary baths with same scenario, just with basic tile floors, and it will just have a tub/shower combo.. from 8-10k. Most of the master bathrooms in the area are not huge caverns of wasted space, which allows you to put in some good product.

Kitchen. That's a tough one. It could range 8-35k+ depending what you do to it and the condition the old kitchen is in. But the best thing about the area is that you would feel comfortable remodeling a very nice kitchen with Viking/Wolf/Subzero without worrying that you've over spent. Most people I know do put about 20-35k in the kitchen/mudroom areas. Most likely you will have to upgrade the electrical panel for the house, so that will also be about 5k.

Working with a cost plus contractor helps keep the budget more reasonable as well.

Main thing about remodels is that you have to budget for surprises. You could find anything when you open up the walls. If the house needs a new hot water heater, AC unit or roof, bid accordingly.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-31-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 09:34 PM

166 posts, read 900,946 times
I grew up in 77079 (hence my screen name) and have fond memories... I now live in Katy in a house built in late 2000s. I don't think I could move into an older house or pay $200+ per sq ft for a newer remodel. The school's in katy are just as good if not better than Spring Branch. I heard my alma mater (Stratford) has somewhat gone downhill since my days. If you work in the energy corridor, I would suggest taking another look at Katy area (south of I-10, east of Grand Parkway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston