Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 06:07 PM

17 posts, read 46,087 times

Advertisements

Is it legal to own and carry one there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 06:42 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,289,419 times
If you have a concealed carry permit from the state of texas, yes.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
If you have a concealed carry permit from the state of texas, yes.

Where I am living now it is legal, for example, if you have a firearm on your front seat or dashboard. It is actually legal to carry concealed inside of a vehicle here, but, the local law enforcement doesn't understand that it is legal and so you can be arrested and held until it goes to court (where, of course, you'd be found not guilty).

I was hoping that it would be the same way in Houston but I sort of figured that any big city would have ordinances or some such of a thing there..

So you have to have a permit, even for open carry, in the city of Houston?

Old 09-01-2007, 11:26 PM

15,217 posts, read 30,733,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The. View Post
Is it legal to own and carry one there?
This is Texas. What do you think?

Old 09-02-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
This is Texas. What do you think?

I know that Texas is the best state in the union
I just had assumed that all larger cities these days were loaded down with ordinances If I can just carry normally in the cities themselves, heck, that is great.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:33 PM

15,217 posts, read 30,733,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The. View Post
I know that Texas is the best state in the union
I just had assumed that all larger cities these days were loaded down with ordinances If I can just carry normally in the cities themselves, heck, that is great.
Get a license.

Do a Google search for [texas "castle doctrine"] and see if you like what you see

Old 09-02-2007, 06:24 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,916,761 times
Quote:
but, the local law enforcement doesn't understand that it is legal and so you can be arrested and held until it goes to court (where, of course, you'd be found not guilty).
isn't that illegal to do? on the cop's part? Arresting someone for illegal reasons?

Personally I think one of the reasons Texas is such a great state is because you can carry a weapon (there is a reason the founding fathers made the right to bear arms the 2nd amendment instead of the 10th etc). There is surprisingly a distinct correlation between how much you pay in taxes and how strict the gun laws are. States with more restrictive gun laws pay more in taxes. Go look it up.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:43 PM

960 posts, read 2,763,516 times
Yes, but keep in mind that when a private property demonstrates that weapons on not allowed on their premises even if you have a license as a good fellow and have the rights to bear arms, commonly like the convenience stores. They can say, "You need to leave or have you arrested for traspassing with a weapon" . So, it's best to keep it a low profile instead of assuming that you can go carrying it around in the Galleria with a low cowboy-belt like Clint Eastwood.

But then, why do you need to be carrying a weapon in the first place?

Old 09-02-2007, 11:53 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,536,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Yes, but keep in mind that when a private property demonstrates that weapons on not allowed on their premises even if you have a license as a good fellow and have the rights to bear arms, commonly like the convenience stores. They can say, "You need to leave or have you arrested for traspassing with a weapon" .
Try carrying concealed in a bank or credit union. Don't be surprised when they start handcuffing you!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 AM

33 posts, read 125,986 times
poltracker is very WRONG.

You do NOT need a permit to have a gun in Texas. You can buy at gun at any store or gunshow and once you pass the background check, you are good to go. You need a CCL (conceal carry license) to carry it around.

It is legal to buy guns out of garage sales in Texas. For the best deals, hit the gun shows and find an independent guy (not a dealer) trying to offload guns, helps to get around that pesky background check. I have seen a lot of "tailgate" transactions out in the parking lot of gun shows as well.

Texas also has this law where you can use lethal force (i.e. shooting someone) on your property after dark should you be broken into or car stolen. This is why wrecker drivers do repos during the day. They know they can (and have been) shot and killed trying to repo cars in the middle of the night and they have no recourse other than civil suits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: