Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:22 PM

168 posts, read 470,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Eminent domain?
What about the 1000s of already existing raillines throughout the city?
Are you saying that building Grandparkway loop is not going to require eminent domain?

Cost too high?
Once again, there's already existing raillines that would just need to be fixed.
To build a highway, it takes a s.... lot more money, including entrance/exit ramps and bridges.

I don't believe the Corporate media lies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 03:49 PM

7 posts, read 58,284 times
Sounds like I opened up something everyone is thinking about, more or less.

To add to my original Houston-Fulshear commuter rail query: there are abandoned rail tracks and bridges south of FM1093 all the way to Fulshear, then they north of 1093 west of Fulshear. I wonder of this is where this idea came from. Check with Google Earth.

I am not holding my breath or planning on this, but it would be nice..

Cheers

Old 01-02-2012, 04:38 PM

9,543 posts, read 16,564,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk11ns View Post
There are no definitive answers on commuter rail plans here in Texas; however, there are plans to expand the light rail system here in Houston. Just not out to Katy.

Most people do not realize that commuter rails are a bad idea for many reasons. First, you have to deal with imminent domain which is completely Anti-American. Secondly, you have to deal with the many local politicians wanting stops in thier districts leading to much longer commute times than necessary. Finally the cost is too high for the benefit. There are estimates that the cost of a rail trip from Houston to Dallas would cost as much as a plane ticket. Where is the benefit besides not flying if you have a fear of flying?

In Europe, most no one owns a car so they have to take the rails whereas here in America most everyone owns a car so a commuter rail will mainly benefit the lower class more (such is the case with the Metro Light Rail. If you ever ride it you will notice that the majority of people riding it are lower class).

Stick with the Metro Park and Ride. Very professional and convenient. They run through the HOV lane so it's basically the same concept.

I'm sorry to have to disagree with you on Europe. Although at some point in time it did seem few owned vehicles. I have lived in Ireland and Germany. In this day and age many Europeans own vehicles. Unless they live in the heart of Paris or London or other big cities. Still many own cars now all over Europe. The transit options are numerous to say the least, and many people use it even though they own a car. Its just a part of life in Europe to alternate. Gas is very expensive in Europe as is car insurance. So people alternate the costs

I think its what your use to and what your reference point is. I live in Portland and lived much of my life in Massachusetts. I'm originally from Ireland. I grew up with transit and its been available to me much of my life. As far as the lower class comment I don't know how Houston is. I don't know what the transit is like there. Most of the people in Europe, Boston, NYC are from every walk of life. It is far from just what one would call lower class on the transit. I understand though what you mean about a lower class on some transit systems. I see it also in Portland. In fact I see it frequently. I can only imagine why ridership types change from region to region, but evidently that does happen.

Commuter Rail basically connects downtowns to outer suburbs, and that means surbanites headed to work in Downtowns. They genrally own cars and are using the trains as alternates to driving downtown. They connect to buses or other rail options in the inner city or just walk to their destination. I did that in Boston and Germany. I don't know how that would work in Houston. From reading this forum. Commuter Rail may not be in operation in Houston for quite some time.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:07 PM

169 posts, read 451,020 times
The only expansions in Rail that are official are inner loop expansions of the Metro Rail

Old 01-03-2012, 08:14 AM

875 posts, read 1,664,223 times
I think a successful rail would be on I45 from Conroe to Galveston. Most the major business centers, airports and attractions are all along this freeway. They can connect the rail to the metro rail in DT so people can go into the city (once the metro rail completes all of its projects).

If they want more people to ride the rail, provide convince for people flying into the city and boost the tourism, I45 would be good place to have one.

BTW from Conroe to Galveston its approx. 90 miles. I pretty sure there is quite of few people who live on this stretch.

Last edited by llmrkc07; 01-03-2012 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 10:59 AM

18,145 posts, read 25,349,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You really think its that simple? Those existing Rail lines have owners...The city of Fort Worth is begging BNSF rail to let them use one of there existing lines to run a commuter rail from Alliance to downtown...If BNSF saids no than its a "No go". Are there existing abandoned tracks in Houston area?
Just do what the people in San Antonio-Austin are going to do.

Build a new railline somewhere else and trade with them.
It's better for them to have a railline that doesn't go through God knows how many streets.

And I'd love to know who was the genious that gave away our railroad infrastructure to private businesses.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:41 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,266,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I think a successful rail would be on I45 from Conroe to Galveston. Most the major business centers, airports and attractions are all along this freeway. They can connect the rail to the metro rail in DT so people can go into the city (once the metro rail completes all of its projects).

If they want more people to ride the rail, provide convince for people flying into the city and boost the tourism, I45 would be good place to have one.

BTW from Conroe to Galveston its approx. 90 miles. I pretty sure there is quite of few people who live on this stretch.
Why stop at Conroe? Take it to Huntsville.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:15 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
What makes you think this? Have you driven down Harrisburg and noticed a lack of people in the area? I drive down Harrisburg at least once a week and the bus rider ship looks pretty heavy. It will be nice not getting stuck behind all those buses once the line opens. The people that live along Harrisburg are less likely to have cars of their own compared to those along the other proposed lines. I think the impact will be pretty big for those living in proximity to Harrisburg.
How does it make economic sense to build an expensive rail line to serve a population that is already content to take an existing bus line? How is moving 50,000/day from bus to rail a big impact on ridership? As noted, car ownership is lower in that area and replacing bus with rail isn't likely to generate significant *new* ridership.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:58 PM

875 posts, read 1,664,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Why stop at Conroe? Take it to Huntsville.
O yea i forgot about Huntsville. SHSU has about 20000 students most of them living in Houston area. It would also benefit because the prison system is there as well.

I know that is will cost a ton..but i think it will work.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,266,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62;22378874[B
]How does it make economic sense to build an expensive rail line to serve a population that is already content to take an existing bus line?[/b] How is moving 50,000/day from bus to rail a big impact on ridership? As noted, car ownership is lower in that area and replacing bus with rail isn't likely to generate significant *new* ridership.
Than explain why the city voted for rail??? The bus line could work, but when you're dealing with lazy bus drivers; it screws up the system. People don't have time to be depending on buses when they're not reliable nor flexible. A city with great mass transportation has a good highway system along with rail and BRT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston