Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM

739 posts, read 1,191,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Why should they have held off on the east end line? The did studies and put rail where they would likely have ridership. The expansion of the Katy Freeway at one time included leaving space for a future rail line but I think that got killed.
it would seem that pouring tons of concrete for beltways and ramps versus laying down track would be more expensive.

I heard a few years ago, that people in Fulshear wanted a rail line....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 10:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,026,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post
A rail line to IAH and/or Hobby from downtown would be awesome. I've ridden the Metro bus a couple of times ($1 to $1.50 for the ride can't be beat) but found it took too long through the Greenspoint area (too many stops), didn't have anywhere to store luggage (which isn't a problem if the bus isn't crowded) and was less than convenient if flying something other than Continental.
actually the bus from the airport has under cabin storage for luggage. Kinda like greyhound. It does take too much time getting around the mall tho. From Benmar Street it should go towards the Beltway instead of looping around to the mall.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,888,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Yes I've driven down Harrisburg; many times actually. Nothing about the areas makes me thinks it would be a great spot for rail. I just think it shouldn't be top priority at the moment.
What exactly about the area made you think it would be a poor spot for rail? You haven't named anything specific so it's hard for me to understand your logic.

It's a highly concentrated area of low income people. Those are the people most likely to use public transportation on a daily basis.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 AM

168 posts, read 470,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFrodo View Post
In my ongoing search for a new home around Katy I have heard comments of a plan to build a commuter rail system in Houston within the next 10 years. Now, this is something I have not heard or read officially from anyone, sounds more like a rumour or wishful thinking...

We are not talking about the planned expansion of the downtown light rail system. This is about a real commuter transportation system like in many US cities and of course Europe.

Does anyone know, or heard of, this proposal from an official city source?

Thank you
There are no definitive answers on commuter rail plans here in Texas; however, there are plans to expand the light rail system here in Houston. Just not out to Katy.

Most people do not realize that commuter rails are a bad idea for many reasons. First, you have to deal with imminent domain which is completely Anti-American. Secondly, you have to deal with the many local politicians wanting stops in thier districts leading to much longer commute times than necessary. Finally the cost is too high for the benefit. There are estimates that the cost of a rail trip from Houston to Dallas would cost as much as a plane ticket. Where is the benefit besides not flying if you have a fear of flying?

In Europe, most no one owns a car so they have to take the rails whereas here in America most everyone owns a car so a commuter rail will mainly benefit the lower class more (such is the case with the Metro Light Rail. If you ever ride it you will notice that the majority of people riding it are lower class).

Stick with the Metro Park and Ride. Very professional and convenient. They run through the HOV lane so it's basically the same concept.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,862,624 times
There just doesn't seem to be a big push for commuter rail in Houston. Interesting that Fort Worth residents seem to be more pissed off about not having rail system than Houston residents...There where some angry Fort Worthians when the Street Car plan was shut down by the City Council...A lot of this could be due to what’s going on in Dallas with its already expansive rail line. I expect Houston will likely start laying tracks within the next 5 to 6 years or later. Lets be honest these projects don't happen over night....

Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 AM

20,529 posts, read 33,641,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk11ns View Post
There are no definitive answers on commuter rail plans here in Texas; however, there are plans to expand the light rail system here in Houston. Just not out to Katy.

Most people do not realize that commuter rails are a bad idea for many reasons. First, you have to deal with imminent domain which is completely Anti-American. Secondly, you have to deal with the many local politicians wanting stops in thier districts leading to much longer commute times than necessary. Finally the cost is too high for the benefit. There are estimates that the cost of a rail trip from Houston to Dallas would cost as much as a plane ticket. Where is the benefit besides not flying if you have a fear of flying?

In Europe, most no one owns a car so they have to take the rails whereas here in America most everyone owns a car so a commuter rail will mainly benefit the lower class more (such is the case with the Metro Light Rail. If you ever ride it you will notice that the majority of people riding it are lower class).

Stick with the Metro Park and Ride. Very professional and convenient. They run through the HOV lane so it's basically the same concept.
You're talking about high speed rail, not commuter rail. There is momentum for commuter rail in the Houston area.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,284,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
What exactly about the area made you think it would be a poor spot for rail? You haven't named anything specific so it's hard for me to understand your logic.

It's a highly concentrated area of low income people. Those are the people most likely to use public transportation on a daily basis.

It just doesn't stand out to me. Not really much I can say besides that. Take it or leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
There just doesn't seem to be a big push for commuter rail in Houston. Interesting that Fort Worth residents seem to be more pissed off about not having rail system than Houston residents...There where some angry Fort Worthians when the Street Car plan was shut down by the City Council...A lot of this could be due to what’s going on in Dallas with its already expansive rail line. I expect Houston will likely start laying tracks within the next 5 to 6 years or later. Lets be honest these projects don't happen over night....
Because Houstonians have become immune to disappointments considering it has happened so much; it don't phase them anymore. When it comes to being creative and innovative; the city can't deliver. Another issue is that the city limits are simply too big and you have that rift between the inner loopers and outsiders. People don't want to foot the bill for something that's not convenient for them.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
It just doesn't stand out to me. Not really much I can say besides that. Take it or leave it.

Because Houstonians have become immune to disappointments considering it has happened so much; it don't phase them anymore. When it comes to being creative and innovative; the city can't deliver. Another issue is that the city limits are simply too big and you have that rift between the inner loopers and outsiders. People don't want to foot the bill for something that's not convenient for them.
The private sector may fit the bill or at least give it head start. Shelia Jackson and the other congressman around Houston should be lobbying for money from congress....As quiet as it is kept Kay Grangers has allocated tons of earmarks for federal funding for the Fort Worth TRV projects.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 AM

18,154 posts, read 25,377,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk11ns View Post
Most people do not realize that commuter rails are a bad idea for many reasons. First, you have to deal with imminent domain which is completely Anti-American. Secondly, you have to deal with the many local politicians wanting stops in thier districts leading to much longer commute times than necessary. Finally the cost is too high for the benefit.
Eminent domain?
What about the 1000s of already existing raillines throughout the city?
Are you saying that building Grandparkway loop is not going to require eminent domain?

Cost too high?
Once again, there's already existing raillines that would just need to be fixed.
To build a highway, it takes a s.... lot more money, including entrance/exit ramps and bridges.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Eminent domain?
What about the 1000s of already existing raillines throughout the city?
Are you saying that building Grandparkway loop is not going to require eminent domain?

Cost too high?
Once again, there's already existing raillines that would just need to be fixed.
To build a highway, it takes a s.... lot more money, including entrance/exit ramps and bridges.
You really think its that simple? Those existing Rail lines have owners...The city of Fort Worth is begging BNSF rail to let them use one of there existing lines to run a commuter rail from Alliance to downtown...If BNSF saids no than its a "No go". Are there existing abandoned tracks in Houston area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston