Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,099,754 times

Advertisements

hi all,

hopefully ill get more replies than the first time. moving back to texas after being in LA this past year.

i was doing some apartments research and came across some in the 77082 area code that seem fairly cheap. i was just curious what your opinions and recommendations would be for that area?

some apartments were in westchase and another was right along the george bush park. i want to check out the area, but i want some opinions first. is it safe? how is the commute during rush hour around that area? im not too sure where i will work just yet (hopefully i can land a job with a sports team soon)

i'm a little familiar with houston, but still have a lot of exploring to do. i want to check out more inner houston but i know it gets pricier. my friend lives off of westheimer near the galleria and although at first it seemed like a good place, it's just too congested and seems to be going a little more downhill.

any other areas with some good parks, safe, trendy, diverse areas im also open to hear about. thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:58 AM

208 posts, read 270,048 times
Near Kirkwood will be worlds better than around the highway 6 area

Old 12-29-2011, 12:02 PM

ha, meant zip code, not area code.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:34 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,231 times
The area is nice you should be fine

Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 AM

168 posts, read 470,111 times
My wife and I own a rental property in 77082 near the corner of Synott and Richmond. I can tell you that while the area has some decent amenities it is not a "nice" area. It is definitely on the lower end of the middle class spectrum. Most all of the homes and apartments in the area are old. In fact, we are looking to sale this property soon because the area is on a downward slope.

There is one nice neighborhood nearby and that is Royal Oaks. It is a gated community with a security checkpoint so no one can enter without prior notice by a homeowner. Also, the homes in there start at $1.3 million.

May I ask what apartments you are looking at? I used to live in the Watersong Apartments on Westheimer. They are good apartments but there is another complexe behind them that is full of riff raff and crime is extremely high back there. I remember hearing gunshots come from that complexe several time a month while I was living at Watersong.

*EDIT - The homes in Royal Oaks start anywhere from $400- $500 K. I came up with the $1.3 Million figure from a billboard I saw many many years ago. Since then the cost has come down significantly.

Last edited by Hawk11ns; 12-30-2011 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: I stand corrected.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 PM

yeah the few apartments i looked at were renaissance village at shadow lake:
2920 Shadowbriar Drive Houston, TX 77082

and also the villas at west oaks
15155 Richmond Avenue Houston, TX 77082-1631

they seem nice to me, but i havent done a lot of exploring in that area. for now, i'm looking just for an apartment rather than a home. thanks a bunch for your help! since you know the area any info about these two addresses will definitely help me out.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:24 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,252 times
The area is far from "trendy" and Imo not that great. You may want to consider something closer in north of Richmond.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 PM

205 posts, read 246,915 times
You could always look at houston.everyblock.com; look up the Westchase neighborhood, or make up a precise area of your own. Then look at the crime reports, reviews, real estate listings, etc., to see if it suits your needs.
I keep an eye on the part of Westchase where my mom has stayed on her visits to Houston. (along the Sam Houston beltway, just south of Westheimer) There has been a big increase in police reports (theft/robbery/burglary) in the past year.
But other areas of Westchase might be better. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2011, 05:04 PM

10 posts, read 21,763 times
Westchase is a tricky area. I would say there are nice "pockets" of neighborhoods in the area but this area has been on the decline for a while.
I would recommend something like City Centre although the apartments probably start around 1200/month last I checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: