Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 11,668 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I just needed a specific info about Schlumberger Corporation. I am really interested in working for them, but think there might be a roadblock. I heard that they are strict even about nicotine usage (as part of their pre-employment drug test) and I am a frequent smoker. I have never taken any illegal drugs though. So someone in the area now about these specific details about Schlumberger - and can I go ahead and apply ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
First of all, it's a French company. Secondly, it's an oilfield services company. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Chairman and CEO smoke Gauloises.

Ronnie

Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
I work for Schlumberger. There its no such thing, nicotine being a roadblock. Of course you're not going to smoke in middle of a plant. Never heard of nicotine pre-employment drug test and I am not even sure if that would be legal.

Schlumberger is a SOLID and great company to work for by the way so go for it. See you in the other side :-)

Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,550 times
SLB benefits are excellent. They are MASSIVE, and have multiple offices in the Houston area. I worked for them from 2001-2005.

Never heard of the nicotine thing...

Old 12-14-2011, 01:56 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
The only time you'd be screened for nicotine would be if you're applying for a large life insurance policy. Need to make sure you're not a smoker.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:11 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I work for Schlumberger. There its no such thing, nicotine being a roadblock. Of course you're not going to smoke in middle of a plant. Never heard of nicotine pre-employment drug test and I am not even sure if that would be legal.

Schlumberger is a SOLID and great company to work for by the way so go for it. See you in the other side :-)
Strangely enough, since nicotine is not a protected discrimination*, it is legal to test for it. And legal to not hire someone who smokes.

* Protected is things like age, race, religion, etc. Weight and smoking (just to name two) are not protected categories.

PS: Make sure you know how to pronounce Schlumberger!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:44 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
I am not even gonna answer that. Got nothing to do with SLB and the OP question

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Strangely enough, since nicotine is not a protected discrimination*, it is legal to test for it. And legal to not hire someone who smokes.

* Protected is things like age, race, religion, etc. Weight and smoking (just to name two) are not protected categories.

PS: Make sure you know how to pronounce Schlumberger!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:24 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Well I work for a different service company. We have to be a non-smoker or join a quitting plan (and visit health provider) if we want the best insurance rates. Its almost double if you dont join. Not a condition of employment though (officially).

Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I am not even gonna answer that. Got nothing to do with SLB and the OP question

The OP asked if they nicotine test. You said you were not even sure it was legal. I replied it IS legal.

How does my reply not have anything to do with the OP question?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 11,668 times
Thanks for all your replies guys. I just want to make sure that smoking is something that does not affect employment here. This is because - even if I get it, I am not sure I want to quit. I don't really mind the higher insurance fees (I do feel that is kinda warranted). But all that I want to confirm from some current or past SLB employees or their friends is that - nicotine test or quitting smoking is NOT an employment pre-condition.

Also, if I do get selected (I have a strong specific profile and am confident I have a really good shot) - I plan to frankly tell them about my smoking habits in any drug test. Hopefully that will not be a roadblock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: