Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 14,353 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm from Houston and wanting to throw a party in Galveston, I'm interested in getting some input from any knowledgable people on here.

I have a generator and speakers, I'm planning on bringing some DJs out to the beach after dark and having a little party on a Saturday night. It would be fairly small, maybe 25-30 people.

Do you guys know the rules regarding being on the beaches after dark, and stuff like that? Are there areas that would be better for doing this sort of thing? I'm renting a spot right near Stewart Beach, would this be an alright place to set up something like this after dark?

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice you can offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,012,409 times
Why the generator? Are you talking about pumping out mucho decibels of sound? If so, you'll probably run into noise violations and a large police presence (especially if it's the annoying booming type music that get under many peoples' skin).

On the other hand, why not stick a portable boombox on top of the vehicle, and just keep it at a reasonable volume? Much better for a smaller gathering, and less hassle (i.e. = a better time for all).

Music's a great thing - just make sure it doesn't spill into other people's areas and enjoyment. A lot of people go to the beach for peace and quiet, and to hear the gulf and waves, etc. You can get music anywhere, but you can't get the sounds of the beach everywhere. Please remember that...

Old 12-12-2011, 03:48 PM

Well it won't be mucho decibels, but since DJs will be involved I know they'll want a bit more sound than a boombox. I don't want to set it up right close to anyone's house or anything like that.

Ideally I'd look for a spot on the beach that wasn't anywhere near a residence or anyone who would even remotely be bothered. But you never know, in some places the cops are just itching to mess with people over technical violations that aren't really bothering anyone, so I just wanted to feel out what it's like on the beaches after dark. Do you know if it's cool to do that sort of thing on Stewart Beach?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,309,049 times
I suggest far west end near the bridge. No one out there to complain about noise.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,765,710 times
East Beach used to be the party spot for that kind of stuff, not sure if it's like that anymore after Ike.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM

7,550 posts, read 11,614,539 times
Try Crystal Beach I hear people having parties there from time to time

Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 AM

385 posts, read 970,287 times
I second crystal beach.
There is always big parties on all the summer holidays.

there even used to be some free raves near crystal beach back around 2000/2001 with big sound systems and lasers shooting into the sky.

so you could probably throw a party over there.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:23 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,012,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
I suggest far west end near the bridge. No one out there to complain about noise.
Probably not a good idea. There are many homes down there (relatively new, expensive ones). They'll call the police with no hesitation.

Yeah, Crystal Beach might be an option. Since Ike devated much of that area, there aren't near the amount of homes there used to be. You could probably find a good vacant area to set up.

Crystal Beach seems to be a bit like East Beach years ago. As Galveston "grew up" - so to speak - the parties seemed to move over there.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Thanks for all the replies, they will help a TON. The place I'm getting is pretty close to East Beach, it would be cool if I could set up the party on that side so everyone won't have to cross the ferry. Do you know if that area's cool for parties?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,765,710 times
I went many times this summer and Stewart Beach was a family beach. The sign said you could get thrown out for cussing. Not sure how it is after hours. East Beach used to have a big sign that advertised "drinking is legal" but I haven't seen it since Ike blew it down. The beach was clean but you had to watch for a stray piece of broken glass.

GALVESTON.COM: Stewart Beach

GALVESTON.COM: East Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston