Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:49 PM

55 posts, read 109,099 times

Advertisements

Everything is over priced, the produce quality leaves a lot to be desired and quality and longevity, and the prepared foods section is awful. Central Market takes a massive dump on whole paycheck in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
You're paying for it to be chemical free, pesticide free, wax free and not be irradiated. So of course the produce will not look beautiful. But it will be healthier. But you can really trust the FDA on acceptable levels of poisons in our foods if you want.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,302 times
which whole foods did you visit? my husband works @ the Wilcrest location and their produce is ALWAYS up tp date and fresh. yes I agree the prices are high but you're getting what you paid for...healthier,chemical free,all natural food.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Can easily mock any WholeFoods or Starbucks which are by no means panaceas...and sell lots of junk amidst a few useful things

But before these mass marketers arrived, groceries and coffee in all of US (incl allegedly sophisticated Manhattan) were simply awful from any taste or health standpoint

And one's daily choice of food intake (both total cals and how chemical-free) probably explains one's risks of obesity and eventual risks of heart dz and cancer better than anything else....rather cheap preventive healthcare by spending on a healthy daily diet

Kinda like how one's choice of commuting car is critical vs one's riskiest daily activity....driving...even if a billionaire, can't ever buy back one's health post-brain/spinal/major orthopedic injuries in a car crash....thus a new Mercedes sedan (not SUV or convert) is incredibly cheap vs many allegedly "cheaper" cars or commute modalities

Old 12-11-2011, 09:23 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,794 times
^ this all makes perfect sense, but you still make me lol.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:59 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeturro View Post
Everything is over priced, the produce quality leaves a lot to be desired and quality and longevity, and the prepared foods section is awful. Central Market takes a massive dump on whole paycheck in my opinion.
Classy.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:42 AM

171 posts, read 414,295 times
The thing that errks me is that the H-E-B plus and Central Market carries a lot of the same stuff as Whole 'Paycheck' Foods and it is all about half to 2/3 the price of the same brand and everything as what you will find at WF. HEB Plus sure is chaotic though.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:47 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
I've been a loyal WFM shopper since I used to frequent the tiny original market in Austin 25 years ago. It is a very different shop than it was then and many decry it as having sold out, but WFM did bring quality food awareness and animal welfare standards to the entire industry, raising quality and standards for everyone, not just WFM shoppers. The store consistently ranks very highly for treating its employees and communities well, and frankly that costs more money. The company executives do not take home millions of dollars (the store has a policy of capped executive compensation) so most of the profits go back into product, employee benefits and community giving. I'm happy to pay a little bit extra to both improve the well-being of my family (even the store layout encourages healthier choices) as well as support an enterprise which in my view is healthier for the country and its economy as a whole.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
I also think the produce quality is the best I've seen in Houston for a store, and the prepared foods are excellent. I'm not sure what the OP is comparing it to, but I suppose if you are accustomed to the high salt/high fat/highly processed generic selections of a typical chain grocery you will find the WFM options to be less appealing and too exotic.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:04 AM

157 posts, read 578,029 times
In addition to what others mentioned, WF shoppers also paying to shop with a higher class of people, unlike the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston