Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:26 PM

164 posts, read 366,360 times

Advertisements

Four months ago I was offered a job by an oil drilling company. I passed the drug test and started working. Now I am picked again for the drug test. This company randomly pick workers to have drug test. I am just wondereing if this is common practice in Houston area. Do you think this could be some discrimination since my last name is not White?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 06:30 PM

393 posts, read 656,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_residents View Post
Four months ago I was offered a job by an oil drilling company. I passed the drug test and started working. Now I am picked again for the drug test. This company randomly pick workers to have drug test. I am just wondereing if this is common practice in Houston area. Do you think this could be some discrimination since my last name is not White?
Your quote " This company randomly pick workers to have drug test." Yet you now question the companies policies? Why do you have a problem with following the rules. I was in law enforcement and we were randomly tested all the time and my last name was not Black! Go figure!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM

164 posts, read 366,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes59 View Post
Your quote " This company randomly pick workers to have drug test." Yet you now question the companies policies? Why do you have a problem with following the rules. I was in law enforcement and we were randomly tested all the time and my last name was not Black! Go figure!
You are in law enforcement, I can understand why you are randomly tested. But I just do a regular job which is corporate IT in a drilling company. Why do I need drug test every four months?

P.S. In my previous ten IT jobs I never had a drug test. I had security clearance, but not a single drug test. Employers just wanted me to submit W2 to prove the past working history and pay rate.

Last edited by va_residents; 12-07-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 PM

73 posts, read 272,920 times
As my husband, the safety man for a drilling concern in Houston, says, "If you catch the random, you catch the random." It can be random based on both the company you work for, as well as the operator. Every company has a drug policy. He suggests you review it and it'll clearly state that you can be subject to random screens by your employer as well as the company your company is drilling for. FWIW, my husband has been popped several times when he's made offshore investigations. He says it just goes with the territory when you work for drilling contractor.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 PM

594 posts, read 1,257,207 times
My husband doesn't work for drilling and this is always a possibility. The same starting and few months later happened to him and it had nothing to do with his "last name".

He's been tested at least once a calendar year, sometimes less than 2 months apart but in separate years.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,183,025 times
Quote:
Yes it's common practice. It's random. You got it after 4 months. It might be a year before the next one.

My DH works in an oil refinery. They have caught a lot of people by random drug tests. It's scary really - these people who are high on the job, yet are expected to be following upmost safety protocols for everyone's safety. So yeah, they are common and required. Get used to it.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,983,167 times
Discrimination? In Houston?????? Maybe against my people!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,323,201 times
Yes it is standard in the oil and gas industry. I work at an engineering consulting firm, and our clients require randoms at least 4 times a year. No on is excluded. Sometimes we will have randoms within a month of each other.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,518,296 times
Default That's not how you spell wondering...

Quote:
Well, it could be worse. Your last name could be Cummings or Cox.

Last edited by Glucorious; 12-07-2011 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: tweak

Old 12-07-2011, 08:53 PM

682 posts, read 1,955,289 times
I work for a company that provides various services to other companies and some of our customers include chemical, oil and gas companies and every one of them requires us to be part of a program that includes an annual drug test as well and random testing to even get in their facility. I went through an entire year without getting selected for random, while one of my coworkers got selected 3 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: