Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:01 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,970,400 times

Advertisements

Good story, then I hope he put the night stick to some thugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 04:06 PM

840 posts, read 778,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBoyd91 View Post
Last week I saw 3 cars stopped on the emergency shoulder of I-10 in East Houston. I was driving behind a Harris County Sheriff Tahoe and he almost ran into 2 of them. Didn't slow down or pause a second. Needless to say this was right after he passed me like I was standing still and we were going nearly 75 mph.

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything. Maybe one day it will be as rare to see complaints as it is currently to see positive stories.

It sounds like he may have been responding to a serious call & didn't have his siren on yet (?)

Old 12-06-2014, 10:48 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,801,548 times
Police officers are normal people. Normal people will stop and help and it don't have to be a police officer. So I don't think this police officer did something extraordinary, sorry. I stop once and help and old lady. Just no big deal.

I would rather focus on tempering our police which is getting out of control, committing murder and being held by other standards. Watch the news. Plenty of cases in Houston where our police literally gets away with abuse and murder.

Of course there are good cops as well, just like people, bad and then good people

Old 12-07-2014, 08:26 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,035,245 times
I'll always support our police. I believe they have q difficult job to do - some days worse and some easier than others. To any offices on cd forums - thanks for what you do. I appreciate you, even on the rare occasion I'm grousing about receiving a ticket. Luckily it's been about 8 years since I've had one. :-)

Old 12-07-2014, 10:17 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,968,046 times
Not in Houston, but here is a lovely positive police officer story.

Cop Buys Struggling Mom Car Seat Instead of Giving Her a Ticket (VIDEO) | The Stir

Old 12-07-2014, 06:02 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,835,822 times
In my lifetime of driving, I haven't met any police officer that wasn't willing to help out when I needed. I hope it will continue that way for the rest of my driving years.

Once, my car broke down on the way home. It had special disabled driving equipment, one of the connector got disconnected. The car itself was okay for a normal driver to drive but not for me to use the special equipment to drive. Fortunately, I was able to pull over the side of the highway. I pulled out a white cleenex and hung it on the window (help sign). Moments later, a police officer came by, I explained my troubled car. During the same time, the officer was helping another driver with a broken vehicle not too far from where I was. They came up with a plan to help me out. The other driver drove my car to a safe parking lot while the police officer followed to make sure all is safe for me. Once I was in a safe area, I called family to get me.

Another time, not in Houston, I was stopped from speeding. The officer was driving in the opposite direction when he flashed the lights. I looked down at my speedometer and right away knew it was me. I looked around and there was no one else closed by on the freeway. I pulled over before the officer even had a chance to turn around. When he came up, I rolled down my window and took off my sunglasses. He checked me out and saw 3 of us ladies in the car. He told me I was speeding. I politely apologized to him and explained (truly): I just exited from I-10 (70mph speed limit) to this freeway that was only 55mph speed limit. The other ladies in my car was relatives visited from another country. We were so happy chatting away that I didn't realize I was still driving at 70mph. He took my driver's license and went back to his car. When he came back, he complimented me for having a clean driving record. So, he gave me a warning only.

The officer went back to the car and waited until I drove away. But, my car couldn't start. It was heated up from the long drive and needed to cool down before I could start again (it had to do with the modified handicapped equipment). The officer came up again and asked if he could be of help. I explained that I needed to wait for 15-30 mins before I could start the car again. Since there was no one around, he decided to stay with us for security reason. I was surprised of course. From a speeding violation, it ended up to be a security protection stop. I thanked him again as I was able to drive off safely later.

I do believe that when we're honest and polite to officers, or just anyone for that matter, we would be treated according to how we proceed. Well, most of the time that is.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:18 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,783,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Had a blowout on a busy bypass road down here in the Clear Lake area. I was not in a great spot... fast/heavy traffic just around a bend. Unfortunately, I had misplaced my tire iron, so I had to call roadside assistance. I settled in to wait for an hour+.. after 10-15 mins a Webster Police Officer pulled up behind me and proceeded to pull out a jack and tire wrench. Helped me out and got me back on the road safely in 5 minutes. With all the negative stories on here about Houston area officers, I just thought I'd let you all know about one who went out of his way to protect and serve.
Did you happen to catch his name? If so, did you call the PD to pass on a message to his supervisor about what he did? Maybe even write a letter?

It takes time to do but it is worth it. Cops get a bad wrap in general.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:29 AM

804 posts, read 1,078,749 times
As much as the Webster pd gets a bad rap for being overly harsh. I had a lady pull out infront of me on my motorcycle. Their was a Webster cop that was right beside me who saw it and pulled her over. I accually went back and thanked him after he finished. He accually said he never cited someone with so many violations in one stop before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston