Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:39 AM

561 posts, read 972,485 times

Advertisements

Such great info on this thread...

Like the OP I also want to move to Chicago and I am really enjoying the different opinions here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
14 years Chicago here, lived 10 years in Texas in the 80's and west coast another 10. My opinion.

There are a few weeks a winter I found myself saying why the hell do I put up with this. But winter fluctuates a lot up and down so for the most part it is manageable. Winter is about 1-2 months too long.

Folks are friendlier in Houston, yet less tolerant it seems. Got to love football and be part of a mega church it seems. Chicago really is about individualality. Some folks would like people being nice on the outside. Chicagoians just want no fake b.s. Houston would rather have fake manners.

Chicago is WAY more segregated. It is historical and was manipulated into being so by decades of racist policies. But then again public transportation here in Houston seems to only be for the poor minorities where as Chicago it is very mixed all classes and races as are the city events and parks/beaches.

Chicago also thrives on all its diversity.....where as Houston seems to push its wonderful diversity to the side and lets "bubba" culture control everything. We had to quit watching the local news and only watch WGN ....Houston news is too sexist, heterocentric, christiancentric emphasis.

Summers are BEAUTIFUL in Chicago as are most of its falls. Spring, doesn't really happen......seems to go straight into summer.

Chicago is beautiful and sophisticated and has TONS to do that doesn't cost and arm and leg. Everything seems to cost here in Houston.....BUT groceries and gas are cheaper her in Houston.

Both have great places to eat and great bars.

Chicago has lake Michigan right at its core.

You get LESS for your buck as far as housing goes...but you know what...an urban lifestyle is more about meeting friends at movies, restaurants, events and clubs....like in Asia where social happens outside the home more....it is a get up and join friends out and about kind of city.
I think this is a very true, honest, and unbiased post. I wish more people on here could be this honest.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
it's all the circle you run in. don't tell me there aren't religious people or some football super fans in chicago...

in nearly every city you can live in a neighborhood where that kind of stuff doesn't run rampant. including htown

Old 11-15-2011, 01:18 AM

4 posts, read 7,147 times
I moved from Chicago and really miss the city :

pros
-the great public transportation ... actually you can just read your book and go to work in 25 minutes, here it s like 40 minutes stressfull drive with crazy traffic.
-the museum and the beautiful lake ... the cultural life is really better if it matters to you.
-the people : actually I come from Europe and I loved chicago : people are very diverse and more open-minded, yet very warm ( not always the case in NY ) I m having some hard time making local friends here ( well, I m liberal, I do not go to church and I don t have a dog, maybe that s why )
-the fact you can really WALK : you have large alleys, and you can do shopping on Michigan avenue ... here it s difficult to walk outside with all the traffic and small side area for walkers.
-I found restaurant, bars, museums and condos pretty cheap compared to NY, for the same budget in NY you have only a studio in downtown whereas in Chicago you can have a 2bd/1ba in great downtown condo. Well in Houston you can have a small house with garden in Rice U for this budget but it s Houston )

The only thing is that you need to be careful about where you live, since it s pretty difficult to park in the downtown, you should live not too far from a train station, the best neighborhood are east side on downtown, golden coast or lincoln park which is much more affordable. Anyway it s always way cheaper than NY and more expensive than in Houston.

cons
-depending on you but it can be difficult for some people to take public transportation. You can still have a car in Chicago and the traffic is less dense than here, the only thing is that parking is really expensive in downtown but if you work there you can usually have free parking. The taxis are everywhere and it s pretty cheap compared to NY and Houston ( usually you spend 4-5 dollars for a 15 minutes drive )
-the winter is really hard and cold and long. I think it s really the most difficult part, you need to try it by yourself some people are ok with it some not.

Last edited by kyriette; 11-15-2011 at 01:30 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 PM

125 posts, read 198,419 times
I think the defense mechanism for some is to say that Houston has people that portray being friendlier on the outside while people from Chicago or NY are just more "real."

That may be the case in some specific situations, but for the most part, the people in Houston are just craploads more friendly than the people in Chicago for certain. I have visited Chicago, never been to NY.

It's not really a close comparison. You just have to get used to the people in Chicago not caring about you or the quality of your life and then you will be ok once you accept that.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:25 PM

9 posts, read 18,154 times
I moved from Chicago (suburb) to Houston. Then from Houston to NOVA (Washington DC) now I am back in Houston. The whole time I was here the first time I kept thinking I really wanted to go back north...Went to DC for 2 years and am thrilled to be back to Houston. I am originally from Cleveland.

As others have stated

People are friendly in Houston
the cost of living is SIGNIFICANTLY lower,
the weather is generally decent.
it does seem to be more segregrated in the big cities
it is pretty politically conservative in Texas
its really hot in the summer (I really love the change of seasons however, winters are yucky up north by mid february you just want it to be over)

I guess it all depends on where you are at in life. Right now I think its great to be in Houston..but ask me in a few years who knows.

If you have a job in line, I say make the move. You can always come back.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 PM

682 posts, read 834,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
I think the defense mechanism for some is to say that Houston has people that portray being friendlier on the outside while people from Chicago or NY are just more "real."

That may be the case in some specific situations, but for the most part, the people in Houston are just craploads more friendly than the people in Chicago for certain. I have visited Chicago, never been to NY.

It's not really a close comparison. You just have to get used to the people in Chicago not caring about you or the quality of your life and then you will be ok once you accept that.
Talk about being defensive. Your quality of life is what you like. And Chicago or dense city living, like Chicago, may not be what you need to have a good quality of life. THAT DOES NOT MEAN Chicago's quality of life is any less or any better. It is a different type of lifestyle that many millions of people thrive on just as Houston is a life style that millions thrive on. Just different. Coming from Houston and all its diversity one would expect such thinking and the love of differences to be part of your lifestyle.....perhaps your are missing a lot of what makes Houston a great place to live?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 AM

116 posts, read 232,766 times
Great info! thanks for all the helpful insights. = D

Old 12-15-2011, 07:39 AM

143 posts, read 208,476 times
I am from NYC and considering moving to texas. Have a few thoughts

NYC is a great city in terms of abundance of places to go and things to do. Sports, night cvlubs, restaurants, bars, you name it? I would say that you can get pretty much from any part of the world in NYC.

Manhattan living is expensive, higher rents(about $1800-2000 for a studio), pay $200-300 a month for parking.

As far as suburbs, the nicer suburbs with low crime and good schools are far away. the areas right around the city(manhattan) are dumps. So you shd have atleast an hour to 2 hrs commute if you want to live in a good suburb by train.

NYC work culture in general is demanding. Most people have work more than 8 hours, add in the commute and you are looking and long days and less time towards family

I would say if your income is significantly increased and you dont mind the commute and winter weather, its a good choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston