Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:16 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I think that's pushing it a bit. I know several people right here in Houston who work assistant/reception jobs, and they don't know Spanish.
Yes but do a search for current job openings in those areas. Out of say 10 about 7 will say bilingual plus or required.

People who already have them and aren't bilingual perhaps at the time of their employment it wasn't an issue.

I'm so ready for this technological age to get a move on it. It's time for everyone to have the gadget where you speak into it and it translates for you in your own voice and not the ugly robot lady voice like navigation. They probably already have something like it out by its expensive doe basic and average folks...

I'd love to be bilingual but it's so onesided.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:09 AM

385 posts, read 967,804 times
In Europe you cant even get a job at McDonalds without knowing a couple languages. Get over it. there are a lot of good courses on how to learn Spanish available. You can learn the basics in a couple of weeks. If you cant afford it then DL some pirated copies of Pimsleur and Michel Thomas like I did. There are some lessons on youtube as well.

I learned basic Spanish just so I could order tacos in the Mexican neighborhoods. true story.
My quality of life has improved 10 fold.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I'd love to be bilingual but it's so onesided.
What do you mean with "one-sided"
If "bilingual" is a skill required by that job, what do you want them to do?
To hire people that don't have the required skill?

Hiring non-qualified people is what's really hurting this country.
Just go to Wal-Mart and see how many cashiers move like a turtle.
Here's an idea = Hire people that are fast to be cashiers.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
In Europe you cant even get a job at McDonalds without knowing a couple languages. Get over it. there are a lot of good courses on how to learn Spanish available. You can learn the basics in a couple of weeks. If you cant afford it then DL some pirated copies of Pimsleur and Michel Thomas like I did. There are some lessons on youtube as well.

I learned basic Spanish just so I could order tacos in the Mexican neighborhoods. true story.
My quality of life has improved 10 fold.
This isn't Europe, but I'm sure you know that.

As of today, I have no need or desire to learn Spanish. Maybe years down the line when Hispanics have completely taken over the city, it might be necessary, but I doubt I'll be around when that happens.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:22 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
everyone does realize that the OP done flew da coop, right?

Just checkin'.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 9,820 times
Im still here just observing some of the most negative comments ever. Anyways I did find a part time job in the Bellaire area working at a restaurant. I might have to move back to NY. I had to move to get away from my boyfriend he was abusive, I was tired of verbal and physical abuse and that is why I moved back with my parents. I thought it would be easy like NY but it's not.

I just didn't want to be by myself in NY I was used to living with my boyfriend for 3 years. So I am not sure what to do. Im not use to being out of my comfort zone living by myself, I like to stick with people that work together.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
You can become functional in Spanish with just a couple hours a day of intense study over the course of a few years.
Geez - you can become functional with a few drives on our freeways and major streets speaking billboard Spanish.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
[quote=Nairobi;21494723] Latinos aren't that dominant.

uhm, where are you living - it isn't Houston? Most sandwich shops I visit - I have to point to what I want on the sandwich.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:22 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Geez - you can become functional with a few drives on our freeways and major streets speaking billboard Spanish.
Yeah, maybe when it comes to tacos, beer and Jesus.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:42 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal07281987 View Post
Im still here just observing some of the most negative comments ever. Anyways I did find a part time job in the Bellaire area working at a restaurant. I might have to move back to NY. I had to move to get away from my boyfriend he was abusive, I was tired of verbal and physical abuse and that is why I moved back with my parents. I thought it would be easy like NY but it's not.

I just didn't want to be by myself in NY I was used to living with my boyfriend for 3 years. So I am not sure what to do. Im not use to being out of my comfort zone living by myself, I like to stick with people that work together.
Glad you're making some progress in Houston. If you're set on moving back to the New York City area, have you thought of finding roommates via Craigslist? You could also check out the ethnic media, if that's your cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston