Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times

Advertisements

My sister is looking in Pearland and came across this home - its simply stunning, great price for the size and area but has been on the market for almost a year now -- anyone know of anything with the West Oaks area of Pearland that would be a reason not to buy there? She has a couple of others she is looking at as well but this one has a curious about the area because house is so nice and such a great price.

3206 Autumn Ct, Pearland, TX 77584 - HAR.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 07:51 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
I don't think there is anything bad about the area. Does she have children? I would check which of the schools they would be zoned for. They are in Pearland ISD, but I am not sure how Carleston is if that is the elementary school for their zone (probably fine, but I haven't checked into that one).

I suspect it is a nice quiet neighborhood. The reasons for the house being on the market could be varied though. Is it in foreclosure? A short sale? That might make things difficult.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 AM

No, it isn't a foreclosure but it is vacant as the owners have moved to another home already.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:37 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,873 times
The only thing I can think of is the distance to the highways. People in Pearland like to be close to either 288 or Beltway 8. The traffic gets so bad, that every extra quarter-mile adds a lot of traffic. I believe they were working on some roads in the area though.

But the pricing doesn't seem bad or too low. Seems on par with the area. That same home in Silverlake or Shadow Creek would probably be close to $250k. The home seems pretty standard in terms of upgrades. I do like the rear patio though.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
It's close to Southfork. Easily one could take Southfork to 288. I used to live over there. If the specs are correct, it's $62.50/sq ft which is below the market. Homes in SCR are going for $73 - $85 sq/ft. in my neck of the hood.

Ronnie

Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
My sister is looking in Pearland and came across this home - its simply stunning, great price for the size and area but has been on the market for almost a year now -- anyone know of anything with the West Oaks area of Pearland that would be a reason not to buy there? She has a couple of others she is looking at as well but this one has a curious about the area because house is so nice and such a great price.

Has your agent pulled any comps for you regarding the price per sq ft?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM

I'll have to ask my sister what her realtor has given her. I know she said the realtor said the owner has a lot of money in it in upgrades. That's why she was asking me about the area because the price seems really good for a house in such good shape and that kind of sq. footage. Apparently it has been on the market awhile.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:58 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,258 times
Is the seller's agent representing your sister in the transactions?

Old 10-24-2011, 01:04 PM

150 posts, read 306,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post

As a recent home buyer in the Pearland area, it is always good to get a look at the neighborhood and the house first. I usually put the address in google then click on maps to take a virtual tour of the neighborhood first, so I won't waste my time going to see a beautiful house then find out it is on a street with dumpy looking houses. Yes, this has happened. The outside of the home looks bigger in the realtor's ad then it is in reality. It may have been sitting on the market due to the price. There are many beautiful houses similar to this one with the same floorplan (I discovered that many of the homes in Pearland tend to look alike on the inside) where the owner is asking for well below $200,000 and you may possibly get a bigger front and back yard. I saw so many beautiful homes when I first shopped for a home. These homes were below the asking price of the house I purchased, but what sold me on it was the lot size, distant between the houses, the little upgrades the original owner made to the house that the second owner claimed he did. The seller tried to recup I believe his money paid for new carpeting on the second floor, granite countertops, and new tile in the bathrooms, but I wasn't paying for that because the house was 20 years old. Afterall, there were some repairs that needed to be made and I didn't care a thing about new paint and some upgrades that were made. The house I purchased had been sitting on the market for a year too and no offers were ever made on it to my knowledge. Most people I have heard don't want to buy houses this old, so the owner wanted me to buy this house. I lived in new construction and I wanted a home that didn't look like an apartment with no interesting features inside. Alot of new homes lack interesting features inside, are on a street with barely any trees, offer little yard space, and the neighbors are so close you can reach out your hand to touch each other.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
Its competing with new construction making it sit...common in burbs. Check disclosures to make sure it hasnt flooded otherwise I would say it is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: