Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,035,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
My 74 year old father and my 46 year old husband enjoyed it when we visited last Christmas. (I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't raining all day - it made the tour a little soggy!) We took a 2 day trip from Fort Worth, and went to Houston, San Antonio and Austin. While in Houston, we went to the Space Center, and then to Galveston for dinner, before getting in the car and heading to San Antonio.

It was a very quick visit to Houston, but the whole family (ranging in age from 10 to 74) enjoyed it.

Have fun!
I guess I have seen it too often
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 PM

425 posts, read 998,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I guess I have seen it too often
Might be that. I'm from Chicago, and would never take out of town visitors to Navy Pier, for example, but it's a hugely popular tourist attraction.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:57 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,999,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
Is NASA tour (or whatever it is called) open on saturdays ?
Space Center Houston

10am - 5pm weekdays. 10am - 6pm weekends

It's even open on Sundays.
Tickets here: Space Center Houston - NASA Tour

Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,872,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
The Houston Museum of Natural Science and the zoo are great and not avail in Dallas. I wouldn't go to art museums if you're not an avid fan because Dallas already has it's fair share of those. But seriously, try to go on a long weekend b/c going to Nasa is going to take up a whole day and many places aren't open Sunday.
Good suggestions. Also the Health Museum. And there's nothing like the Kemah Boardwalk in DFW, so there's another good suggestion.

Galveston historic tours and Moody Gardens are good suggestions too, but only if there's time (about an hour drive from Houston.)

Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 AM

970 posts, read 1,878,676 times
Oh.....someone beat me to it, but yes, Space Center Houston is open on Saturdays at 10 am. If you are coming in directly from Dallas, give yourself an extra 30 mins. as SCH is located on the southernmost part of town.

Make sure you take the tram over to the real NASA, and stop off at Rocket Park.

A little history........my grandparents lived in Seabrook, so we went up and down NASA Rd. 1 all the time, and would look over and say, "Oh, there's NASA." Never went to it........didn't know you could.

Then, a friend from college visited and wanted to go see it. At that time, you could drive right up to it..........like you "belonged" there. It was kind of embarrassing because it was a very rinky-dink museum. HOWEVER, they took you on this tour....fantastic!

Go to Kemah afterwards, skip Galveston for another time (when you have more time,) try to do the San Jacinto Monument / Battleship Texas if you're interested, and try to squeeze in a museum or two.

Have a great trip!

Old 10-15-2011, 04:17 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,061,083 times
Just FYI - Space Center Houston is a family activity - mainly for kids. You have to take the NASA tour if you want to see the space center. There are two venues there, so just be aware so that you get the one you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston