Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 19,413 times

Advertisements

i want to major in computer science, i hear that utd is better, but others say houston would be better to get a job/internship. which one should i go to and why? and which school is better overall? thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
UT-D is smaller, and I believe more focused on engineering. It has a stellar academic reputation. UH is very large, has lots of on campus activities, and it has a growing academic reputation. That being said, both schools offer up to a PhD in CS, so I don't think you would go wrong with either one. Both schools are pursuing a Tier 1 ranking (A&M and UT are Tier 1), and some articles point to the fact that UH is closer to that designation than UT-D. My gut feeling is that UT-D students will be more academically oriented, and UH will be much more well rounded with a much larger scope of programs to choose from. I suspect UT-D has smaller classes while in many classes at UH you will be another number. There are pros and cons to both, so it may come down to what your personal preferences are. By the way I went to UH (not for CS), and got a CS degree from another state college.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 AM

115 posts, read 396,543 times
Side note...UT Dallas has the most expensive tuition for a public university in TX...don't know why. Found that out when I was researching the TX Tuition Promise Fund.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:56 AM

632 posts, read 1,179,875 times
I would recommend UT Dallas over UH (and don't let the Tier One fool you). UTD has a stronger academic program than UH IMO and several of my friends that have attended and graduated from UTD and also attended UH tell me that UTD has a better overall classroom experience than UH.

UTD also gives out more financial aid than UH does so even if the tuition is high, the costs can be offset by grants, scholarships, etc.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:23 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,487 times
Why are you limited to those two? There are better choices out there.

Ronnie

Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 PM

175 posts, read 369,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesouthwest4life View Post
The academics are good at uh but the problen with the school definitely lied with the administration and their competency..
Work at UH and totally agree with you. I would not suggest UH to any of my friends, just because the administration is horrible. I feel so bad for our students.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:51 AM

86 posts, read 249,890 times
Default uh is a great place !!

I recently had an opportunity to learn more about UH CS personally. There are some top faculty. They also have a high performance computation center. Class sizes in UG level can be big. But if you want to succeed, I think there are way too many opportunities there. I agree that at least some administrators don't seem to be the best (Probably that won't effect the students). There is lot of encouragement for UG research on campus now. CS and chemical engineering are two of the best Engineering schools at UH. They also have a new BME program me that I hear has good potential.

Definitely think UH is a great place. Seems like it is much better than what it is reputation is. But again, I don't know how it was few year ago. And again I think Houston is a much better place to be than Dallas... for anything.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 AM

42 posts, read 148,507 times
Currently doing research for my daughter's college. The hubby wants UH because it's so close to home. Just learned that UH has a 15% graduation rate! NO! The school campus itself is nice but in a bad area. Any UT school will be more expensive than the rest of schools. They love price gouging because of the "name brand". Looking at UTSA and just appalled at their dorm prices compared to Texas State and TAMU. UH rates are not much better. I would look at a lot of other options besides just those two before you make a decision.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:42 AM

258 posts, read 954,344 times
Go to A&M, the Computer science chairman invented c++ !

Old 10-15-2011, 03:20 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatles View Post
i want to major in computer science, i hear that utd is better, but others say houston would be better to get a job/internship. which one should i go to and why? and which school is better overall? thx
Try to find out what languages they teach at UTD. UH only teaches C++ ( look at the curriculum of some of the classes. That will give you an idea ). Now someone will say you can teach Java yourself, that might be true, but I do pay 1000's of Dollars in tuition, so I expect a little more than that. Other than that, I'd say there's not really a difference. Never seen the UTD campus. Maybe it's nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaze View Post
Go to A&M, the Computer science chairman invented c++ !
That doesn't really contribute anything to the quality, imo. Just means they pay more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: