Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:05 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronpaul View Post
I am also a young (20 y/o) Chicagoan intrigued by Houston.

Main reasons being:

Racial diversity and neighborhood integration (coming from the most segregated city in America)
Affordable housing
No state income tax
Job availability

I feel as if though Houston would give me the best opportunity to save up money while still being able to live in a major city.

Why do some of you feel Houston is boring for young folks? What makes Houston different from Chicago in that regard? Also, is Houston as racially integrated as I'm led to believe or is that a misconception about the city?
Houston is not racially integrated at all. There are white parts (suburbs) and then black/Mexican parts. There are a few places yopu may see some integration. This is a pretty racist city. Sorry, but it just is. I I don't mean only white against minorities as minorities make up aroune 75% of the population. it is going to take a few months to get a job too. And as far as housing goes, it is proportionate. Houston is a blue collar city. Are you willing to live in a blue collar (high crime) area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 02:22 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,158 times
Major sports teams, a bunch of colleges, parks all over, Churches to your religious needs, easy access to places, shopping for days, beautiful women ( im a man ). You can move here and start a family honestly. Good weather especially now, probably the best medical center in world.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Houston is not racially integrated at all. There are white parts (suburbs) and then black/Mexican parts. There are a few places yopu may see some integration. This is a pretty racist city. Sorry, but it just is. I I don't mean only white against minorities as minorities make up aroune 75% of the population. it is going to take a few months to get a job too. And as far as housing goes, it is proportionate. Houston is a blue collar city. Are you willing to live in a blue collar (high crime) area?
Where I live in Pearland, housing is more integrated than it was in Chicago. I don't find people to be racist here. We had more trouble with racism in the New Orleans area than we do here in Houston.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:49 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
Quote:

Not entirely true. Top row, 5th picture.

Race and ethnicity 2010 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/sets/72157626354149574/ - broken link)

Old 10-10-2011, 04:30 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times
Quote:
What suburb are you talking about? The Woodlands maybe but other than that the burbs are pretty darn racially integrated.

Sure there are areas where like races tend to stick to their own but this is Houston. There's really only a free grouped together racial parts. After those few there's a mix of a little bit of everyone. It may not be even though (cause I consider a fully diverse areas as 20/20/20/20/20 not 50/30/15/5). But Houston is such a huge commute city to where if your neighborhood is having your race being the 5% that's no worry because once you head to the nearest restaurant or shopping area there's tons of whatever/whoever you are because everyone goes everywhere so on a daily basis you see a good chunk of everything.

Go anywhere in any direction. Maybe at a very far distance everyone might catch your eyes as the same but drive on in and you'll see those people are Asian and Hispanic because well...this is Houston and that Hispanic people are kinda all over.

The same with everyone else. Houston is really a huge mix and for the most part really not racist. Though this is the south and it's always going to be there nothing is blatant.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:13 PM

If you don't think Houston is racist, try being white in Greenspoint......... My girlfriend is a black hispanic so she gets it from whites, blacks, and hispanics. Maybe you guys aren't in a position to see it.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:49 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The Gulf doesn't compare at all to Lake Michigan, especially if the OP is coming from the heart of the city. Chicago + Lake Michigan together is picturesque. While the Gulf has some good days, it is mostly murky muddy and again, it's 50 miles away. Galveston Bay is actually closer at about 30 miles with a few small beaches that can actually be less murky than the Gulf... but oil industry is in the backdrop (and in the air).
You'll be loving those 50 miles between us and the coast when a hurricane is rolling through...LOL!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:01 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,452 times
Quote:
If you don't think Houston is racist, try being white in Greenspoint......... My girlfriend is a black hispanic so she gets it from whites, blacks, and hispanics. Maybe you guys aren't in a position to see it.
I get around Houston often. I don't see the racism you are talking about, and I grew up here. It would be nice if you gave examples of what happened to your half black/half hispanic girlfriend. I see white people near greenspoint (or surrounding areas), and they don't seem to be getting it from black people, mexicans, asians, or whoever you can think of. Maybe I hang around the wrong people.

P.S. Even if someone is racist (which I have experienced very, very little of), it doesn't ruin my day. I laugh at them actually. Maybe I don't experience it, because I'm a big guy?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:19 PM

Don't get me wrong, Houston is not extremly racist, and I don't have any problems. Most people think I hispanic because I am fluent in Spanish (and kind of look like a cholo). Then they always tell me what a relief because they thought I was a f'ing white person. Then I tell them I am white. Hispanic isn't a race; it's an ethnicity. My girlfirend is a black hispanic.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:12 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,452 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, Houston is not extremly racist, and I don't have any problems. Most people think I hispanic because I am fluent in Spanish (and kind of look like a cholo). Then they always tell me what a relief because they thought I was a f'ing white person. Then I tell them I am white. Hispanic isn't a race; it's an ethnicity. My girlfirend is a black hispanic.
Right, I always have my momentary lapse in thinking. I even forget Mexican isn't a race sometimes, haha. The whole Latin, Hispanic thing confuses me anyway. I guess I should do more research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston