Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 10:56 AM

96 posts, read 234,376 times

Advertisements

the better question is if Houston will hate you.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 01:03 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
When I moved to Houston, I was very excited to be so close to such a wonderful body of water (the gulf). Having grown up in Michigan just a few miles from Lake Michigan, the fact that I would be near the gulf was very comforting to me. My wife, a Texas native otoh, recommended that we stay away from the gulf because she feared that I would be disappointed. Having now gone to see it, I can say positively that she was right. The Texas Gulf coast is already unattractive, and it is further marred by the presence of oil rigs in the distance offshore. Not expecting to be impressed with Lake Michigan, my wife was blown away by how beautiful it was; expecting to be blown away by the gulf, I was underwhelmed. While I admit that my wife and I are a small sample size, our own experience would suggest that the gulf won't be much comfort for a longtime lover of Lake Michigan. Otoh, I do think Houston has a lot to offer in the way of diversity city-wide. That is one thing that is good about here.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:07 PM

101 posts, read 128,019 times
Houston mayor

Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM

35 posts, read 72,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRall View Post
This happens in different cities everyday, people break in cars and steal no matter where you live. Several of my co-workers just had their homes and cars broken into and we all live in california so stop trying to make it seem like these things only happen in Houston.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msreed87 View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Houston after undergrad..I live in Chicago. I know that Houston is the 4th largest city in the US. I don't mind the humidity...I love the heat...How is the job market?? Heard it was really good...but I wouldn't move there without one. I plan on visiting soon...I heard that there isn't really a body of water nearby which somewhat bothers me but I may be able to get over that...Should I consider Houston or Dallas??
If you get a great job in Houston and move here be careful of what you expect of Houston for what you expect tends to be what you find. Asking will you hate Houston sounds like you have assume you will hate it.
Move to Houston with that assumption and it well may come true.

Texas and Houston arent for everyone. If you love the superficial such as looks, Houston and Tx may not be for you. If what matters is living around good friendly people and having a cost of living that allows you to do more things than you might afford living in many large cities... then Houston and Texas may be right for you.

You got some good advice about finding the best job to get you experience regardless of where that job is. Let the location be a variable... despite the tough economy Tx and Houston are doing pretty well. But set some career priorities and go after them by finding the first job that can lead you down to your goal.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicsboy2000 View Post
I recently visited Houston and encountered a really big body of water close by ( 50 miles away) called the Gulf of Mexico.

There's also Lake Houston (actually in the city limits to the north) and Lake Conroe. Galveston Bay at Seabrook is only about 30 miles away.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
If you get a great job in Houston and move here be careful of what you expect of Houston for what you expect tends to be what you find. Asking will you hate Houston sounds like you have assume you will hate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Move to Houston with that assumption and it well may come true.

Good point and true of anyplace.

Last edited by elnina; 02-17-2013 at 03:10 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
I would recommend going to Austin...much better!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I would recommend going to Austin...much better marketing campaign!
Fixed it for ya!

In seriousness, OP said it's between Houston and Dallas but wants a large body of water nearby. The only thing in Austin close is Lake Travis and it's dry/ low lately because of the drought. The job market in Austin is harder to break into as well, outside of some specific skill sets. Also, someone from Chicago will probably find Austin's "big city amenities" rather sad.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:02 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
Sounds almost exactly like me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian807 View Post
Came in 1997 when I was 39. Figured I'd stay for a year or two until I figured out where I wanted to go.

Still here. 7 investment properties and a great software engineer job later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston