Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 04:44 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,834,385 times

Advertisements

Today a plane was flying over Sugar Land advertising the new Freebirds World Burrito location, which is at Southwest Freeway and Williams Trace in Sugar Land.

I haven't tried it yet but my Houston co-workers raved about the Houston location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 04:58 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,824,676 times
They are expanding way too fast and they are losing the "edge" the brand once had. It used to be special to go to Freebirds down on Shephard. Now there is one on every corner. They were once a small, niche brand with pride in the quality and portions of their product. They were bought by a big corporation a while back, and it is showing. It is so blatantly obvious they are anal about cost controls, with precisely measured spoonfulls...etc. They bought a brand and now they are ruining it. I used to swear by Freebirds, and would laugh when someone would compare them to Chipotle or Mission Burrito. Now, I could barely tell the difference.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:12 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,834,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
They are expanding way too fast and they are losing the "edge" the brand once had. It used to be special to go to Freebirds down on Shephard. Now there is one on every corner. They were once a small, niche brand with pride in the quality and portions of their product. They were bought by a big corporation a while back, and it is showing. It is so blatantly obvious they are anal about cost controls, with precisely measured spoonfulls...etc. They bought a brand and now they are ruining it. I used to swear by Freebirds, and would laugh when someone would compare them to Chipotle or Mission Burrito. Now, I could barely tell the difference.
That's too bad! I like both Chipotle and Mission Burrito but with Freebirds joining the mix, all three are now in Sugar Land.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:06 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,718,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
They are expanding way too fast and they are losing the "edge" the brand once had. It used to be special to go to Freebirds down on Shephard. Now there is one on every corner. They were once a small, niche brand with pride in the quality and portions of their product.

It was something special when they were limited to the 3 in College Station... Their demise started once they expanded to Houston, Clear Lake and Austin.

For burritos best to just head to the local taco stand or truck.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:56 AM

18,134 posts, read 25,314,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It was something special when they were limited to the 3 in College Station... Their demise started once they expanded to Houston, Clear Lake and Austin.
There's also one in NE San Antonio

Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 AM

169 posts, read 429,014 times
Quote:

For burritos best to just head to the local taco stand or truck.
i agree. that is because the Aggie founders sold it a few years back. at least the original northgate location will stay the same (hopefully)

Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,180,170 times
They put one in the Town Center Mall in Pearland. Tried it once... was like a pillow filled with gritty mud. Sad, actually.

Ronnie

Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,718,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m48xhp View Post
i agree. that is because the Aggie founders sold it a few years back. at least the original northgate location will stay the same (hopefully)
I thought the founders were from the West Coast who uprooted the entire operation to northgate in College Station. Anyway I haven't been to northgate since I lived near it (10+ yrs). I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:45 AM

169 posts, read 429,014 times
Quote:
I thought the founders were from the West Coast who uprooted the entire operation to northgate in College Station. Anyway I haven't been to northgate since I lived near it (10+ yrs). I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.
hmmm. what i heard was they were Aggies who opened the first location in California, then moved back to College Station.

after reading the story on their website, it is not made clear if they were Aggies, and actually sounds like they were not.

oh well, it is an adopted Aggie tradition up there.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,180,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m48xhp View Post
hmmm. what i heard was they were Aggies who opened the first location in California, then moved back to College Station.

after reading the story on their website, it is not made clear if they were Aggies, and actually sounds like they were not.

oh well, it is an adopted Aggie tradition up there.
Founded in 1987 in Isla Vista, California by Mark Orfalea and Pierre Dube, the restaurant chain expanded into Texas in 1990. After Dube took over the Texas location in 1994, he expanded the chain to span 19 restaurants in Texas, while Orfalea retained ownership of the original California location and a license to continue using the name. The Texas Freebirds World Burrito chain, which was headquartered in College Station, was purchased by Tavistock Group in 2007. The chain, headquartered in the Tavistock Restaurants offices in Emeryville, California, has grown to over 30 locations in Texas and a single location in Oklahoma, with some Freebirds set to open outside the state.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston