Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 PM

Location: The bustling, world-renowned downtown of Pataskala, OH
188 posts, read 198,773 times

Advertisements

So I'm sitting here reading the GHP Relocation Guide and it's about as one-sided as a war propaganda poster. So just wondering, International Festival, Livestock/Rodeo Show, Juneteenth, or the numerous I undoubtedly missed, are these any good, over/underrated, why?(No need to tell me about the Int'l Quilt Festival, I already know that's awesome) Keeping in mind I'm moving from Columbus, Ohio so not to knock my beloved hometown, but the standards ain't sky high (Think San Antonio - any tourist attractions)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,082,971 times
I attended the Quilt Festival in 2010 actually. spell binding some of the designs they do. don't think your typical granny quilt but i digress

I really enjoyed the new festivals this year. The Haute Wheels Festival (food truck festival) and Bestfest (hopefully draw a few different acts next year). There are numerous beer fests which are typically well attended. Houston is a growing micro brew town with new breweries in the works.

the different culture fests (lots of various sizes) are always something to do to but some are worth more than others. the more obscure ones tend to be more interesting. Anyone else attend the Polish festival? the Japanese Taiko Festival (drums) is cool and free. We also have a few barbeque and chili fests that are within driving distance

I go to the Rodeo for the carnival and cook off but many many people attend the shows. some people I know go every year

Houston Free Press Summer Fest is the large Houston music festival which typically brings several notable acts and well attended. Art Car Festival is a Houston tradition that now places are ripping off (hello Austin).

Houston Gay Pride parade is actually always fun and pretty huge here. Not as flamboyant as some, many straights, families, and kiddos. Seems some of the families live in the area and may not read English enough to know what parade they are walking to. They seem to have fun though!

Houston also has a lot of car, gun and boat shows whatever is your flavor. Because it is a big city a lot of international/national conferences/seminars come here if that is more of your thing. Atheist Alliance of America Conference is here in Houston this year with some pretty big notable speakers

Houston Food Week is not so much a festival but a pretty big deal here. Houston is a foodie town and huge number of restaurants are at some deep discounts for a week (or more) with sizeable profits going to charity

the east side art walk was neat in ... 2009 i went? cant remember and don't know if it is still on-going. was not well attended but would be an awesome thing if its no longer around

edit: The Heights neighborhood has the Heights Lights or whatever it is called around Christmas as well as the home tours for some of the historic designations there if you like that kind of thing

Hip Hop for HIV Awareness is also fairly large hip hop/rap festival targeting the younger crowd ( sponsored by 97.9 the box)

Last edited by testmo; 10-03-2011 at 10:39 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 10:41 PM

Location: The bustling, world-renowned downtown of Pataskala, OH
188 posts, read 198,773 times
awesome info, above and beyond, thanks

Old 10-04-2011, 06:01 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,979,096 times
There's Bayou City Art Festival, which is pretty fun, the art car parade, which is getting bigger by the year. Houston also seems determined to create a New Year's Eve event downtown, which is getting better. There is also an AKC dog show in Reliant.

In Galveston (an hour south of Houston), you have Dickens on the Strand.

North of Houston near Magnolia, they have the rennasiance festival every year.

There are tons more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:17 AM

594 posts, read 1,255,917 times
Also there's that White Linen Night in The Heights. I haven't been but it's one of the annual things.

The Christmas thing is Lights in the Heights. It's pretty fun. The one year I was in town to go, I was sick but I watched it from my apartment window. I really hope to go this year.

We really like the Art Car parade and make it a point to go.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:26 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,112,726 times
Reading these posts and remembering these events has made me SO homesick...

I miss Houston. Once you've lived there, you won't forget it. It's a special kind of place.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:47 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,213,901 times
Lone Star Motorcycle Rally in Galveston - every November. Awesome!

Wings over Texas - Awesome!

Renaissance Festival - Awesome!

Art Car Show - Awesome!

Just a few...

Ronnie

Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,325,690 times
Greek Fest ,Italian Fest and Crawfish fest are fun. Im looking forward to Bayou city Arts this weekend. The International Fest has gotten overpriced imo. Rodeo of course is a must ..even if you just go to fatstock show. We also enjoy many of the Galveston fests like Dickens, MardiGras and Shrimp Fest. OH and last year we went to the night glow art car parade and even though the cars moved super slow and there were lots of long breaks between cars it was pretty cool. It was the first year and they had kincks but it was free and the kids loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston