Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,332,323 times

Advertisements

So, I've done my primary banking with Schwab for years and have been more than happy. Unfortunately, the same can't be said of the brick-and-mortar bank I use as my secondary account -- Chase.

I've been looking to replace my Chase account with another bank, but am less than impressed with the other options that I've seen out there. Does anyone have any experience with Capital One and would recommend them? Any 'local' banks that I should have a look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 07:43 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,961,770 times
Can you do a credit union? They are often better than banks.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:14 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,499,149 times
^^^Agree! Chase is always nickelling and diming with you, interest rates are low. Hate them. I have banked with Compassbank for about a decade, and used to love them b/c they gave 2-3x the national avg interest, free checks, no fees whatsoever during my 10yrs including ATM, cashiers cheques, etc. However, with recent take over by BBVA and with recent regulation changes, most banks, including Compass, are starting to charge fees for every little 'service'. Technically, I still get free checking because I meet the required minimum, but they have reduced alot of their perks and interest rates is low as any other banks. So now I'm looking at Capital One too. Anyone with experience with them? Their high interest account looks good even if that rate only lasts for 1yr.
Also, does closing one bank account and opening another affect your credit rating?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:55 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,332,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Can you do a credit union? They are often better than banks.
I've thought about a credit union -- guess I'm just not sure what the pros / cons are. My main criteria is that they have to have a branch close to my house (in Humble) and close to where I work.

As I mentioned, I do most of my banking through Schwab and am very happy with them. I just need a place to go when I need cashier's checks, more cash than the ATM will let me get, cash in my coins, etc. Sadly, I'm not even willing to give chase that much of my business anymore.

I guess the other item that brought this on is my credit card recently got 'acquired' by BofA (which I hate), so I cancelled it and signed up for a Capital One Ventures card. So far the customer service has been great (and American), so I was curious about their banks.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:52 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,251,305 times
I'm a big fan of Amegy. They are a Houston based, Houston founded bank, with branches all over the city. They were bought by Zion a few years ago (in UT), but kept all the local management.

They have some good, no-fee based accounts, including no-fee anywhere ATMs. And the people in the branches are always friendly.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:41 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,754,332 times
If you do not need business banking and qualify I highly recommend USAA. You can scan your checks on your computer or phone to deposit them no need for branches.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:07 AM

632 posts, read 1,181,828 times
Credit Unions are great especially if you're in the military and join a military credit union otherwise Bank of Texas is another excellent banking institution.

They were the only one's I know of that offered free checking accounts with no strings attached and no minimum balance required, plus I got free checks as well.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,087,019 times
I had wonderful experience with Frost Bank, both in San Antonio and later in Houston. It's a Texas bank, they never had to be bailed out, and their customer service was very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston