Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 08:59 AM

10 posts, read 23,049 times

Advertisements

I am new to the Houston area and would like to buy or build a house in or near Cypress. I understand the concerns about 290 traffic; however, aside from those concerns I have many questions as to quality locations and home builders. I need to stay between $225-240,000; my budget depends highly on the property taxes of the neighborhood. I also need access to the eastbound beltway (north) for my work commute.

I have looked in Bridgeland, Towne Lakes, Fairfield, and West Canyon Lakes, and here are my concerns:

Bridgeland: Absolutely beautiful, but very expensive and high property taxes as well as at least a 20 minute drive to any major highway heading towards the eastbound beltway.

Towne Lakes: Also beautiful, expensive, high property taxes, and out of my budget.

Fairfield: Nice community but the available lots seem very small. I would like a nice-sized back yard.

West Canyon Lakes: Few amenities, all located in a separate subdivision; ugly storage facility outside of the entrance; and it seems that there are a lot of recent homebuyers already trying to sell their newly built homes and not being able to do so.

I have looked at many builders, and the floor plans that I have liked the most have been the Preston, the Albany, and the Barcelona by Westin Homes - The Albany by Westin Homes!! - YouTube. I am concerned; however, about the quality of construction and having limited my choice of neighborhoods.

Neighborhood needs:
Quality neighborhood with a strong sense of community
Amenities: Pool, Gym, Tennis Court, soccer field, walking/biking trails, lakes for fishing
Decent-sized back yard

Construction needs:
quality construction
two story plan with open entry
covered patio large enough for a grill and outside dining

If you have any advice or suggestions about neighborhoods, builders, or plans, I would love to hear it. Thank you!!!

Last edited by Prospective Home Buyer; 09-24-2011 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: title change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,914,495 times
You may consider Woodwind Lakes. Home

Not as far as Cypress though, inside the beltway north of 290. Very easy access to the eastbound north beltway. There are homes within your price range and with most of the neighborhood amenities you seek (no gym or soccer field, though there are soccer fields at nearby Rolling Fork park and at the elementary school.) The homes were built in the mid-90's by David Weekley or Trendmaker and may not be as new as you want but have usually been updated. Also, if schools are a high priority I would recommend looking in the Village section, which is also gated. We do not live in the Village but send our kids to private, and many neighborhood kids go to the nearby Harmony School of Excellence.

Anyway, just a thought.

Last edited by fnh; 09-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 09-24-2011, 11:43 AM

Thank you. That is very helpful. I will take a look at that community this weekend.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 PM

95 posts, read 322,683 times
How many beds / baths are you looking for? The $240k range can be a bit tough to stay within in a newer house.

Fairfield and Bridgeland would be your best bets in terms of the neighborhood amenities you are looking for plus a wide variety of newer homes.

Canyon Lakes West has not been selling good at all probably because of the schools. I just blogged about the months of inventory available for several Cypress area communities, and it had the most months by far at 10.69.

Cypress Months of Inventory - Lakes on Eldridge is Tops | Cypress, TX Homes and Real Estate

Have you looked in Coles Crossing or Longwood Village? The homes are a bit older, but there should be several options within your price range with the amenities you are looking for. I have lived in Coles Crossing since 1999 and really enjoy it out here.

Stone Gate is another option if you like the idea of a golf course community. The prices over there have taken a hit lately due to foreclosures, but the location and schools are very good.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:53 PM

Thank you for your reply! We're looking for two stories, three or four beds and two and a half baths. If it were a neighborhood with a lower tax rate, say under 3%, our budget could go up to around $260. We haven't looked into Coles Crossing or Longwood Village as we were hoping to get into a newer house and have only been looking at neighborhoods still under construction; however, we don't want to to miss out on anything, so should definitely give those neighborhoods a look.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:38 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,874,625 times
If you do consider closer in like Woodwind Lakes, there are also quite a few homes in my area, Willowbridge and Stonebridge Village, right off the beltway and West Rd. in 77064. They in your range if you don't mind a 10 yr+ old home, and most of them for sale have been updated. 2,200 - 4,000 sq ft, $180's to $260's. They were built by Emerald, Ryland, Pulte, Weekly and Centex. We've been here since 1998 and it is a great area. You also have Winchester Trails close by, a bit older, but very nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston