Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 13,641 times

Advertisements

I'll be graduating from Humboldt State in 2008 and I'm looking to relocate to Texas to start my Master's in Social Work. Does anyone know anything about the quality of the program at University of Houston? I'm not interested in the social life of the school (I'm 34), just the quality of the education. I'll take suggestions for alternative schools too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 08:02 PM

168 posts, read 772,484 times
The thing I always disliked about UH was the lack of computerization. Registration, dropping classes and everything else was done in the most time consuming, paper ridden methods possible with lots of mistakes along the way. It always seemed that Houston Community College was 20 years ahead on organization and much cheaper in tuition. My mom did take CFP courses at UH and was very happy with the program. I have to say it's been almost 10 years now, I certainly hope it's improved.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:40 PM

179 posts, read 858,136 times
Default Uh

Everything is online now.

We started today.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:36 PM

67 posts, read 224,028 times
The MSW and PhD programs in social work are reputable. UH and UT have the only PhD programs in the state for social work. The department, if I recall correctly, is a top 50 program. You should have a multitude of internship and job opportunities upon your completion in the area.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 13,430 times
Hi there,
Try this website LVUTV. I've been using it to sort of virtually tour colleges that i'm interested in. There are video interviews with students that go to The University of Houston. Check it out: University of Houston : TX : Student Reviews & Ratings : Live Video U (http://www.lvutv.com/college.php/329?v=24376 - broken link) You can see what students have to say about dorms, sports, greeklife, etc. Hope it helps!

Last edited by cindyrox; 03-30-2008 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: broken link

Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
U of H Clear Lake has a great Masters Social Work program with some really good profs too. UH Clear Lake is a junior/senior/graduate campus only so the average age of students tends to be a bit older (more your age) and more focused. However, as parents begin to see the quality is good - they are opting to send their kids to community college for 2 and then to UHCL for the final 2 to save a buck or two so there are many more younger students on campus than there were at one time.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:46 PM

29 posts, read 106,808 times
I agree that both U of H main and Clear Lake are very good. Graduated 2005 from Graduate School of Social Work. Emphasis more on field practicum rather than thesis, which is good. Lots of social services available in the area to do field work. Last I heard there was lots of money available if you want to go the Gerontology route. You can also check out the CWEP program which involves a stipend by DFPS to pay for education if you contract to work for them (2 years full time or 4 years part-time). Their career development office is very good.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:30 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
Anyone hear about UH-Sugar Land? I am looking into an MBA and the sugarland branch would be close to home but I am worried that the quality is just not the same as the main campus.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:58 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,143 times
You might get away with UC-Berkley, UCLA, etc but here in Houston, UH is the MAIN campus. It's HOUSTON for christ stakes. I frown on it being in CL, SL, Katy, and even in downtown. It's time to shut 'em down and make it one fabulous UH campus. If you want to go to UH, then you make it an effort to get to the main campus and show yourself as big man on campus. Not some puny get-by coverted mini-campus like in Katy because you have a lame excuse not to go to Cullen.

It's time to make it University of Houston. Period.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 13,641 times
Thanks everyone for all the help! I got in to UH for fall 2008! I will be using these tips to get myself acclimated. Now then... does anyone know the best way to go about getting a place to live? I won't have a job until I find one down there. Should have financial aid by then + 3K in the bank. I have a cat I'm bringing along too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston