Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:08 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,155,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric99gt View Post
According to our local contacts it was Arson and the suspect is in custody. Currently 100% contained. Some areas still burning but all controlled.
Both were arson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:44 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,270,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric99gt View Post
According to our local contacts it was Arson and the suspect is in custody. Currently 100% contained. Some areas still burning but all controlled.
Off topic but what does gt stand for eric99gt? Georgia Tech by chance?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:44 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,848,990 times
Haze weather.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 PM

92 posts, read 109,428 times
I hadn't heard about this. That's really getting close. I was sitting in morning traffic on Will Clayton yesterday and the guy in front of me flicked a smoldering cigarette butt out his window. It didn't go all the way into the grass but it was close. People need to think about what they're doing and the people/property they could adversely impact.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:26 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,270,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomojo View Post
I hadn't heard about this. That's really getting close. I was sitting in morning traffic on Will Clayton yesterday and the guy in front of me flicked a smoldering cigarette butt out his window. It didn't go all the way into the grass but it was close. People need to think about what they're doing and the people/property they could adversely impact.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,155,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
This sounds like arson foreal. It's kind of funny how Texas is getting all of these wildfires and other nearby states aren't having them.
Texas is the DRIEST state in the NATION right now. Meaning the other 49 states have gotten more rain than us at some point in time. I honestly cannot remember the last time we had a good rain. I mean a rain that would do some good. 15-30 minutes of a light sprinkle ain't cutting it.

Texas had the highest average temps this past summer in the NATION...even surpassing Arizona (they get cooler at night).

Not sure about the rest of the state, but our trees are dying due to drought. Dead trees, dead grass, dead brush = very ignitable kindling.

There is nothing funny about the fires we are having now, or the homes/buildings destroyed by these fires (Bastrop fire has consumed 1,300+ so far alone). The Bastrop fire is only 30% contained and has already burned 34,000+ acres.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,064,062 times
there are quite a few wildfires in the US right now. they are in nearby states too. New Mexico and Oklahoma are having a heck of a time with drought and fresh water shortages as well

Texas and Oklahoma seem to be the hardest hit

Old 09-09-2011, 12:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,136,803 times
Quote:
This sounds like arson foreal. It's kind of funny how Texas is getting all of these wildfires and other nearby states aren't having them.
Quote:
fun·ny (fn)
adj. fun·ni·er, fun·ni·est
a. Causing laughter or amusement.
b. Intended or designed to amuse.
2. Strangely or suspiciously odd; curious.
3. Tricky or deceitful.
From reading sooooo many of his posts , I get the sense that SB205 was using the 1b definition of funny. I tend to use funny that way so I didn't take it to mean that he found these fires amusing.

Just wanted to say something since I *think* his post is coming across negatively to some people (although I know the premise - that the states around us aren't burning - is inaccurate).

Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM

135 posts, read 567,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txgal33 View Post
Off topic but what does gt stand for eric99gt? Georgia Tech by chance?

Actually it referred to a car I once owned. Member of a car forum. No idea on how they actually found the folks who started it. I'm guessing someone must have either seen them or one of the kids (heard it was teens) got nervous and confessed.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,136,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
From reading sooooo many of his posts , I get the sense that SB205 was using the 1b definition of funny. I tend to use funny that way so I didn't take it to mean that he found these fires amusing.

Just wanted to say something since I *think* his post is coming across negatively to some people (although I know the premise - that the states around us aren't burning - is inaccurate).
Quote:
Oops - my bad. I meant he was using definition #2.

Quote:
fun·ny (fn)
adj. fun·ni·er, fun·ni·est
a. Causing laughter or amusement.
b. Intended or designed to amuse.
2. Strangely or suspiciously odd; curious.
3. Tricky or deceitful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: