Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 AM

142 posts, read 399,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... the filter! Just horrible!!! So many of us AND our kids drink that stuff on a daily basis...
Well, like I said, it's normally not this bad. That filter shown in the picture is the worst I have ever seen it. It's got to have something to do with the drought causing extra amounts of sediment/sludge in the water supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,011,004 times
Houstonians and Texans have consistently shown that they don't pay enough attention to water quality and monitoring. The water companies know this, and will continue to cut corners (for their benefit, not ours). They know they can - and will - get away with things that would have us alarmed if we had more information. Who really knows what they do and what's in our water? They do, but they'll guard that at all costs. No accountability or disclosability whatsoever.

Just another case of the growing powerlessness of the public. And with the public's apparent blessing too (silent as a mouse).

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 09-01-2011 at 10:32 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 AM

24,085 posts, read 15,194,506 times
I'll second that.
Don't get me started on the air. In Dallas, every time the numbers were due to be turned in the city said oops, our machine is broken. That went on for years.
A friend and I are trying to account for the willful ignorance that lets this stuff happen.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:21 AM

567 posts, read 1,626,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgerma View Post
Does the water smell all the time? Or only when you run hot water? Might be related to hot water heater if you only smell it during a shower.
No, cold water coming out of the faucet outside the house that is right at the water line that enters the house. I have a PVC line that goes from the meter to the house.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 PM

62,058 posts, read 87,760,434 times
A division of a Houston company called PowerMax Green Technologies (which may or may not be related to this Florida company with a similar name and similar products) is hoping to set up a manufacturing plant in Hitchcock to build atmospheric water generators, or machines for extracting drinking water from humid air.
According to Galveston County Daily News the site the company is interested in as the former Blimp Base at 7526 Blimp Base Rd., just off FM 2004 — where the Navy once developed and stored blimps for spotting German submarines in WWII, and which is now an approved Foreign Trade Zone.
Officials with the Green Environmental Management have been meeting with area officials about their plans to build 2 facilities totaling 160,000 sq. ft.
Pulling water, jobs out of thin air? (http://galvestondailynews.com/blog/6590/ - broken link)

About Blimp Base: The Blimp Base - About

This 1944 photo from the online collection of the University of North Texas shows how big the hanger was, and what little remains (the four huger corner posts)…
[Four K-type airships docked in the hangar at Hitchcock Naval Air Station] : The Portal to Texas History

BTW: Rice University is going to collect A/C condensation and recycle the water.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:30 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,244,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
A division of a Houston company called PowerMax Green Technologies (which may or may not be related to this Florida company with a similar name and similar products) is hoping to set up a manufacturing plant in Hitchcock to build atmospheric water generators, or machines for extracting drinking water from humid air.
One wonders how this could be considered "green" technology and what effect it would have on local weather patterns.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:12 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,545,850 times
I can't imagine how much energy must be required to extract a sizable amount of drinking water from air. "PowerMax" is probably an appropriate name for the company.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:23 AM

644 posts, read 1,356,561 times
Does all of Houston area have trouble with their water quality? Are some places better than others? Bottled water has it's own downsides and is often just tap water anyway but is put into plastic bottles with bpa and other nasty chemicals. I have *refused* to buy bottled water or any kind of drink in those plastic bottles for quite some time now. There HAS to be a better option....

Take care,
Kris

Old 09-04-2011, 07:04 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,545,850 times
KHOU aired a special last night on radiation in the tap water that was pretty interesting. Not sure if it was new or repeated. But I noticed during the special there was a commercial for Ozarka. Great advertising for them, and it makes me wonder how biased the story was. Bottled water company sponsors report on radiation in tap water. Hmmmm

Old 09-04-2011, 07:33 AM

24,085 posts, read 15,194,506 times
My friend sells tv advertising. There is no conspiracy, here. TQEC, that's another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston