Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:00 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,057,643 times

Advertisements

Houston has better museums and art collections than in Dallas. we also have cluster of regions in the city that are mini china towns, india town, pakistan town, viet town. i have not found that in Dallas. Memorial park or Discovery green I'd recommend. Discovery green is a small urban park so you can cover it all easily. bayou bend gardens i like but its too hot out really. check the cool restaurants/bars in Montrose/Museum District. or you can do some of the more funky museums/collections. end it by strolling w. 19th or try to catch the markets in the morning.

the way people post on this forum you'd think they've never been to the city. i think most people find NASA boring. Kemah would be nice if you have little kids to entertain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 11:10 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,834,707 times
I agree with d2mini. If you only have 2 days to visit, skip Houston and save it for another weekend. Spend a day in San Antonio and a day in Austin. Any one thing you chose to do in Houston would take a good part of the day. You will enjoy the visit more if you take time visiting each city instead of rushing through them all in 1 weekend.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 AM

659 posts, read 1,377,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
If you are into Art, we have some nice museums. Museum of Fine Art, Contemporary Art Museum, The Menil, Museum of Natural Science, Children's Museum, etc. We also have some of the best restaurants in the country. Houstonians like to eat! A lot of out-of-towner's also like to shop at The Galleria in midtown. But other than that, not much else to see in Houston proper. As mentioned before, NASA, Galveston, Kehma, Moody Gardens are all interesting but outside of Houston.

Personally, I'd head straight to Austin.
There's certainly more to do and see in Houston than in Austin...come on now. I was just in Austin and it's fine but not what I would call a real urban city. But, Barton Springs is nice this time of year!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,807,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
There's certainly more to do and see in Houston than in Austin...come on now. I was just in Austin and it's fine but not what I would call a real urban city. But, Barton Springs is nice this time of year!
Depends what you are in to which is why i listed the museums. Can't really think of anything else I'd really do in Houston. I don't even know what to do with family/friends when they come to town besides go out to eat.
Kemah and stuff is fun, but it's not in Houston.
Given our personal lifestyle, we find Austin to be a much more fun city than Houston.
We make weekend trips there a few times a year just for a quick getaway. If we lived in Austin we wouldn't bother visiting Houston.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,295,425 times
I would go to an event at Discovery Green have lunch at the Grove take the train to the Museum District and visit the Butterfly center or Fine Arts Museum then stroll around Rice Village stopping for a Beer at the Gingerman. Antique on Westheimer near Montrose or the Heights. See a live band at one of the many venues. End with a nostalgic drink at the Anvil. Oh and have a nice dinner at any of our wonderful non chain establishments like Marks, Daily Review or Reef

Old 08-31-2011, 12:04 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,826,766 times
What happened to Earthquest?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:33 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,232,633 times
Museum district. Hermann Park. Space Center. Galleria Mall/Uptown. Niko Niko's in Montrose for great Greek food.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:19 PM

741 posts, read 1,754,086 times
I did not had chance to visit Houston so far and planning to visit Houston during a weekend this Winter

I believe that Houston is warmer in Winter compared to Dallas. Is it the case?

Can one walk freely without a pull over/jacket and enjoy during the Winter?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston