Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:22 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,162 times

Advertisements

Look, I understand tipping is normal here, but what constitutes "exceptional service" worthy of tipping that wouldn't otherwise be included in the price?

"Oh good, you did your job!" That, in my mind, gets them the paycheck -- not a tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 09:10 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
quote=Texascrude;20551530]Look, I understand tipping is normal here, but what constitutes "exceptional service" worthy of tipping that wouldn't otherwise be included in the price?

"Oh good, you did your job!" That, in my mind, gets them the paycheck -- not a tip.[/quote]
Yes, but understand how it really works. You contract with ABC Movers - they go down and grab guys at the Home Depot hangout. They pay them minimum - maybe $5 per hour. Those guys do the actual hot, nasty work. You make $# a week - be thoughtful on who does your dirty work. Can you afford to give these guys a $20 tip each? Probably. You don't want to tip the company rep? OK - but don't forget to be grateful that you make $# per week and tip those that sweated their brains out to move you.

Same thing goes for waitresses and waiters - yeah, they did their job - at a lower than minimum wage price. If they did their job well, tip, dammit.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:50 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
I'm guessing this is a cultural thing but the people who are coming to move my household effects on my return to Europe aren't going to be getting anything other than as much food and water as they can eat/drink while they are on the job. I'm paying in excess of $15K- I had assumed there was adequate remuneration included in that extortionate sum.
The guys who do all the work and heavy lifting for you get paid next to nothing.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:59 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
quote=Texascrude;20551530]Look, I understand tipping is normal here, but what constitutes "exceptional service" worthy of tipping that wouldn't otherwise be included in the price?

"Oh good, you did your job!" That, in my mind, gets them the paycheck -- not a tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Yes, but understand how it really works. You contract with ABC Movers - they go down and grab guys at the Home Depot hangout. They pay them minimum - maybe $5 per hour. Those guys do the actual hot, nasty work. You make $# a week - be thoughtful on who does your dirty work. Can you afford to give these guys a $20 tip each? Probably. You don't want to tip the company rep? OK - but don't forget to be grateful that you make $# per week and tip those that sweated their brains out to move you.

Same thing goes for waitresses and waiters - yeah, they did their job - at a lower than minimum wage price. If they did their job well, tip, dammit.
I used to deliver pizza. I knew I wasn't supposed to anticipate a tip, but I came all the way in this complex, with no gate code, and up to your drunken apartment party with sweat dripping down my face and soaking my shorts and you dare ask me for correct change?!
wage was a mere $5 per hour

Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I used to deliver pizza. I knew I wasn't supposed to anticipate a tip, but I came all the way in this complex, with no gate code, and up to your drunken apartment party with sweat dripping down my face and soaking my shorts and you dare ask me for correct change?!
wage was a mere $5 per hour
I did the quote thing incorrectly when I posted before. My part was this:

I do think you should tip. You have us reversed.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
I tip $50 per dude (up to three) and feed them lunch and all the sodas/water they want. I always usee the same dudes though and have NEVER been disappointed.

Ronnie

Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 AM

912 posts, read 2,557,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
The guys who do all the work and heavy lifting for you get paid next to nothing.
Then they should get another job. I'm paying enough to their slave drivers. IMO it isn't upto me to make up their wages.

This is a totally different scenario to that of a restaurant where I will happily tip 20% for good service.

Tell me do you tip the cashier at walmart/centralmarket/wholefoods etc???

I should add I don't stand around like some fat-ass local when it comes to a move- I'm out there humping the heavy crap with them. Furthermore I'll have dismantled everything, boxed everything I'm allowed to and taken note of all the serial numbers. All these guys have to do is pick the stuff up and load it in the container.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
$20 is worth it to have my goods set down gently.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
Coming from someone who worked summers during college for one of the big national moving companies, I always recommend people tipping. These guys will be handling all of your worldly possessions, and I assure you, a little bit of money will go a long way in getting them to put in a little extra effort and being a little more careful. Have a fridge full of cold drinks, take their lunch order when they get there, and let them know you'll have something for them if they do a good job. When I worked 10 years ago, a $20 tip for an all day move per person was about average. But I'd say only about half of the people tipped.

On a related note, if you are giving a tip at the end of the day, make sure to give each guy his tip individually. Don't just hand a $100 to the driver when you're signing the paperwork and ask him to split it between the guys. We had a few drivers that were notorious for conning the guys into being out on the truck when the paperwork was signed so that if there was a tip, he would pocket it all.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 AM

912 posts, read 2,557,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
$20 is worth it to have my goods set down gently.
Surely though they have no idea you aren't tipping them until the end?

My goods will be unpacked in a more civilised country where bribes aren't expected, people are paid a reasonable minimum wage and using near slave labour illegal immigrants isn't socially acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston