Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,970 times

Advertisements

I am a current SJS student that got accepted in grade 9 (class of 2021), and although many people would like to deny it, I know many people that got in based on their families wealth. I know that some parents would like to think that private school admission is not subjective, but admission to top private schools (where most-all people are financially stable) is not always solely based on merit. Today, students that apply to top schools bring the full package. They are academically achieving, do community service, play a sport at a high level, and participate in fine arts at a high level also. Many times, students are admitted into private school because of parents donations and funds toward the school even if the school is not a right fit for them. With this being said, as a student giving my own perspective, I would want to get into one of the top private schools in the country knowing that I did that because of my own application, time, commitment, and most importantly, not a 'bribe' to allow me to get in. If a student brings the full package and works hard to make themselves excel at what they do, you should not worry about a superficial check to bribe the school. Don't make a check to the school; make your child work for it because you cannot get everything in life from a check. Also, apply your child for every grade; sure, it's not always an entry year, but I have many friends that got into great schools at non-entry years. If you are really wondering, the entry years are pre-K, Kindergarten, 6th grade, and 9th grade, but people leave schools all the time; so, don't hesitate to apply your child even if it is a non-entry year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 08:42 PM

54 posts, read 92,880 times
Besides St. John and Kinkaid, what other schools are worth applying to yearly, Auty?

Old 10-19-2017, 07:06 AM

86 posts, read 132,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiator11 View Post
Besides St. John and Kinkaid, what other schools are worth applying to yearly, Auty?
Awty is a great school too and there are many others in Houston. All of the schools you mention are Pre-K through 12 schools so that could be a benefit or detriment.

Most of the private schools in Houston are members of the Houston Area Independent Schools organization, and their website is: https://www.houstonprivateschools.org/

I would recommend taking a look there -you can search by factors that might be important to you, and most schools are pretty good about keeping their webpage updated with important dates in the Admissions Process.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:21 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
What grade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiator11 View Post

Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
Sure, it's genuinely believable that this is a writing sample from an upperclassman at one of the most academically prestigious college prep schools in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang21 View Post
I am a current SJS student that got accepted in grade 9 (class of 2021), and although many people would like to deny it, I know many people that got in based on their families wealth. I know that some parents would like to think that private school admission is not subjective, but admission to top private schools (where most-all people are financially stable) is not always solely based on merit. Today, students that apply to top schools bring the full package. They are academically achieving, do community service, play a sport at a high level, and participate in fine arts at a high level also. Many times, students are admitted into private school because of parents donations and funds toward the school even if the school is not a right fit for them. With this being said, as a student giving my own perspective, I would want to get into one of the top private schools in the country knowing that I did that because of my own application, time, commitment, and most importantly, not a 'bribe' to allow me to get in. If a student brings the full package and works hard to make themselves excel at what they do, you should not worry about a superficial check to bribe the school. Don't make a check to the school; make your child work for it because you cannot get everything in life from a check. Also, apply your child for every grade; sure, it's not always an entry year, but I have many friends that got into great schools at non-entry years. If you are really wondering, the entry years are pre-K, Kindergarten, 6th grade, and 9th grade, but people leave schools all the time; so, don't hesitate to apply your child even if it is a non-entry year.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:49 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang21 View Post
A rising tide floats all boats...even a boat with a rich kid in it who had parents buy their way into the school. So I would recommend that you not look down upon any of the people who bought their way in....you never know - they may be your boss one day.

That said, I went to college & law school with lots of kids from private schools...I'm not saying that they were not smart because they obviously were, but they were not smarter than the smart kids who did not attend private school.

The smartest person I've ever met was a public school graduate from El Paso...He may not have played any sports, acted, or participated in any of the things that don't matter at all post high school, (because NONE of that matters AT ALL post high school) but he would make the top 1% at any private school look dumb. Valedictorian of my graduating class triple major in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Math. Went on to graduate school in Nuclear Physics at an elite ivy league school. Extremely successful, though he has devoted much of his career to philanthropy and providing medical imaging to third world countries.

I think much of the push to be in private school in high school stems from 2 things 1) Public Schools where the parents want to live are awful. 2) Perceived social status, and networking with other people.... I can see the value in the networking...often its not what you know, its who you know.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:54 PM

35 posts, read 60,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
A rising tide floats all boats...even a boat with a rich kid in it who had parents buy their way into the school. So I would recommend that you not look down upon any of the people who bought their way in....you never know - they may be your boss one day.

That said, I went to college & law school with lots of kids from private schools...I'm not saying that they were not smart because they obviously were, but they were not smarter than the smart kids who did not attend private school.

The smartest person I've ever met was a public school graduate from El Paso...He may not have played any sports, acted, or participated in any of the things that don't matter at all post high school, (because NONE of that matters AT ALL post high school) but he would make the top 1% at any private school look dumb. Valedictorian of my graduating class triple major in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Math. Went on to graduate school in Nuclear Physics at an elite ivy league school. Extremely successful, though he has devoted much of his career to philanthropy and providing medical imaging to third world countries.

I think much of the push to be in private school in high school stems from 2 things 1) Public Schools where the parents want to live are awful. 2) Perceived social status, and networking with other people.... I can see the value in the networking...often its not what you know, its who you know.
Couldnt agree with you more. I currently work with lot of SJS alumni and I concur that these private schools do not increase your IQ level or make you more intelligent. However, a very useful and long term benefit is the "networking" resource that you may gain from these elite schools. Not just the connections from fellow students but also from their parents. Reality -any job you apply, there will be 100 similar candidates with same qualifications and same resume, its who you know that will separate you from others.

Regarding the previous comment on the rich kids that get into sjs...... While the way to get in may differ from yours, money doesn't help them graduate or help them succeed in class. It just so happens that these rich kids are also quite smart. Nothing wrong with having both.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:53 PM

509 posts, read 734,707 times
There are many good private schools in the Houston area, and for the large majority of kids St. Johns and Kinkaid will not be the best fit. I strongly recommend personally visiting a variety of options and attending the annual private school review put on by HAIS. If you are dead set on secular schools, then obvious alternatives include the Cooper School in the Woodlands, and the Village School on the west side of town. If you are Catholic, then Strake is a very good option for boys, and Duchesne for girls. Providence Classical School is an excellent school in the Klein area that has a strong Christian foundation and a classical curriculum. Cypress Christian is a good school for well-rounded kids in the Cypress area that is very serious about their mission of providing a Christian education. This is just a sample of the many options available. The most important thing is to find the right fit for your kid, so they have the chance to maximize their gifts and enjoy their educational experience.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:43 PM

914 posts, read 1,831,815 times
Here is a good chart summarizing a lot of the private schools in the Houston area. Look at the SAT/ACT scores and tuition as these may be factors in making a decision where to apply/attend. The magazine also has a helpful article on why pay $$$$$ for a private school if your aim is for a state university. https://www.houstoniamag.com/article...rivate-schools.https://www.houstoniamag.com/article...ifferent-paths

Old 10-19-2017, 03:07 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
Unless you are an athlete or an actor. But I get it and agree with your post. I feel the same about the networking and who you know piece. I mentioned that once in a conversation and was blasted by people claiming that didn't matter. Glad to see others agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston