Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 PM

483 posts, read 655,022 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for advice for safe and cheap apartments for a newly graduated 22 year old female.

I just graduated from SFA with my degree in art (aka I won't be making much) I plan on working in the education field, so once again, not much money.
I want to move to Houston for the job opportunities I will have and having loads of college friends that ended up there.

I don't have a need to be in a specific area, I don't mind the traffic or the driving.

I'm looking for a 1 bedroom, preferably a full apartment not just a studio. I would like the room to spread out and do art.
I don't need anything fancy, I just want it to be CLEAN and SAFE.
I'm hoping to spend less then 550$ month, less then 500$ would be fantastic.
I would also like it to be pet friendly.

I am interested in the Sun Blossom Garden Apartments, but have never been to that part of town so I know nothing about it. I've only been from Kirby to Gessner and down Shepard and Main.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. There is also a small chance I will live with my best friend and one of his friends. So affordable 3 bedrooms would be helpful as well. Still in a nice part of town, but I would be with 3 guys so safety wouldn't be *as* much of an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:09 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,259 times
Axe em Jacks!

Hey, I graduated there about ten years ago with a worthless business degree, so I sympathize. Im sure you'll want to live close into town being your age, and at that price point, to stay safe, you need roomies. Yeah, theyw ill suck sometimes when they are partying during the week, but you'll be so much better off in a $1100 three bedroom than a $500 one bedroom.

I lived in a quad plex in Afton Oaks right after graduating. Just inside 610, between Westheimer and Richmond. Paid <600 for a 1200 sq ft two bedroom. Wonder what it rents for now...

Personally, Id be back in Nac starting a masters right now.

***If you are going to teach, you will have to sub while you work on your alt cert. Thats how you network. The front office and principals will get to know you and thats how you stand out. Otherwise, you are just another piece of paper. pay stinks while you sub, but thats the price you pay. HISD is...HISD. Aldine has some rougher schools, but nothing to be afraid of. CyFair and Tomball are great, but good luck getting a job anytime soon.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:10 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
I know you said you didn't mind commuting - but sitting in rush hour traffic 4 hours a day isn't something you want to do. Here, the job location is always a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston