Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:38 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,747,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Sure, just as soon as I get over the 4% property tax, 130 degree summer and mosquitoes.
4%? I didn't think it exceeded 3.4 around here but I could be wrong. CA state income tax = up to 9%. TX state income tax = up to 0%. We're even.

130 degree summer? Try Death Valley. You can be inland in SoCal and be hotter than here easily. If it's the humidity that bothers you, take off your shirt, and have some cold water closeby. Problem solved.

I'll give you the mosquitos, though. However as long as the dragonflies are out, which they were this summer in Clear Lake, mosquitos aren't much trouble. If that doesn't work then a little bit of manly arm and leg hair comes in handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 AM

8,954 posts, read 11,825,054 times
Quote:
4%? I didn't think it exceeded 3.4 around here but I could be wrong. CA state income tax = up to 9%. TX state income tax = up to 0%. We're even.
No, we are not even. Not even close. Income tax varies -- the more you make the more you pay; the less you make the less you pay; if you don't work, you don't pay. High property taxes stay the same whether you make 200K, 20K, or 0K.

Quote:
130 degree summer? Try Death Valley. You can be inland in SoCal and be hotter than here easily. If it's the humidity that bothers you, take off your shirt, and have some cold water closeby. Problem solved.
Can I take my shirt off at work or in other public places like church, school, restaurant, etc.?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:37 AM

499 posts, read 2,160,421 times
House prices, Property tax, State income tax:
All the houses I am looking at in Kingwood are around 2.7 to 3.2 % I haven't seen 4%.
Even if it were just a matter of 3% on a 250k house in TX vs. 1% on a 750k house in CA, what difference is it? In Texas, the money remains local, and is used for local infrastructure. It's used for schools, and *stays* in the area where you live, helping the schools where your children attend.
In CA, the money all goes to Sacramento, and is redistributed to other parts. Call me selfish, but I like my taxes to stay where I live and benefit my community.

The fact that Texas gets by just fine without sticking its hand in my pockets for another round of taxes is proof that California government is mismanaged.

Insects:
I lived in Costa Rica for 3 years, and mosquitoes are always there, as well as annoying little flies that never bite you any higher than your knee (I think people call them no seeums)

I found that after about a month or so of living in Costa Rica, my body was used to the mosquito's "saliva" or whatever it is that causes the irritation on the skin. I never used any kind of spray to ward them off, or light to zap them . They just didn't bother me that much. While they still bit me, it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Do Houston locals who are bit frequently develop this sort of "immunity"?
Is it just mental. If you *want* the bugs to bother you, they will. If you just ignore it and move on, they don't bother you.
I hear joking about how Texas state bird is the mosquito, so maybe the bugs are bigger, more annoying, I don't know
I guess come October 1st, I'll find out for myself, but I'm excited about the move and so I'll ask my 1,001 stupid questions!

Heat:
I don't care about it. Humidity, heat, sweat; who cares. Trying to stay cool is fun; swimming pool, sit in the shade, having a cold one. Trying to stay warm, on the other hand, is no fun.

What is better in California?
Well, I'll definitely miss the ocean.
I'll miss my hometown, just being surrounded by buildings, streets and landmarks that I've known my whole life.
I'll miss my family, but they can visit whenever they want.
Plus, I will still be working for my same employer and I have to fly to California once a month or so, so I'll get to see all that I miss on a frequent enough level.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Can I take my shirt off at work or in other public places like church, school, restaurant, etc.?
Possibly in some parts of TX! But aren''t work, school, restaurants, etc, mainly indoors? They definitely were when I visited CA this year... (which btw was an awesome vacation, even though the locals tend to 'believe' a lot of things.)

Property tax rates stay the same with income, yes... But out here you don't usually buy a $700k house (implants, twin Mercedes and tanning memberships) with a $50k household income.

Your real gripe is my real gripe. You don't build equity for sh*t here, and pay out the nose relative to your principal and interest in HOA fees, insurance and taxes.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 PM

24 posts, read 119,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubl5005 View Post
i moved from so cal last month. i don't go outside because of the heat/humidity. i was getting paid a lot more there than here and the property taxes are higher in houston. i live in the pearland area and i hope you like religion...lots of churchy people like i've never seen. which is fine...some public schools have very strict dress codes...and if you are in a planned community they too have very strict codes...lots of paper work and hoops to jump through if you want a pool. i didn't move to sugarland because i was worried about the home invasions.pearland has a nice town center being built...should be finished next year. people are very nice though compared to orange county. not so many bmw's and designer bags here.and i have not found a great mexican place to eat either. it's all tex mex.
Read the post " All I need is advice on great fish, veggies and Mexican food"
Historian traveler gave me some names of places to find good Mexican food

Old 09-05-2007, 09:36 PM

24 posts, read 119,552 times
Quote:
My guess is people don't move back because they can't afford to. Isn't that the reason they left in the first place? It seems owning a big house is a high priority for many folks. So much so that they have to live their CA dream in Taxes, sorry I meant Texas.
We moved here due to a job transfer. If we decide to move back, we still own our home there.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:57 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,300,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
Could you please ennumerate the reasons you`re so hooked on So Cal?
I`m serious!
Well ... I'll jump in here. I used to live in Texas ... although it was Austin, not Houston ... although I have spent a fair amount of time in Houston and have family there. Now I live in SoCal.

The main reason to move to Texas, IMO, is to do what was previously stated ... cash out your California equity so you don't have a mortgage at all. Of course, now that would be more difficult with falling prices but, during the boom it made a lot of sense. Especially if you're already retired or near retirement and have pension income or whatever in addition to your cash equity.

But, not having a mortgage at all was, more than likely possible because you lived in California in the first place. Afterall ... where else would you have that much home equity to cash out and pay for a house in full?

On the other hand, if you actually have to make a living in Texas then, that's a completely different situation because wages are stagnant there. You're lucky if wages keep up with inflation which is why housing prices are still so cheap there.

Even with the cheaper COL, if you don't have much wage growth then, how far ahead will you get? You can get far if you don't have a mortgage payment to begin with ... but, if you do have a mortgage then you can still lose in the long run with minimal wage growth.

What we decided to do instead was buy a cheaper house out in the California desert for only $150K. But, we still make a lot more than what we ever would in Texas with a combined income of $160K a year.

So ... that's why we're still hooked on SoCal.

Last edited by sheri257; 09-06-2007 at 08:45 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 08:49 AM

458 posts, read 778,698 times
Quote:
How can you even ask me that? Isn't everybody? It's SoCal. It's one of few places that have been explored and immortalized in books, movies and songs. I read somewhere that LA is what most tourists think of when they think of America. Imagine sandy beaches, mountains, lakes and deserts all within driving distance from you. Imagine near perfect weather and beautiful people. Names like Beverly Hills, Malibu and Bell Air mesmerize people from around the world. It's hard to disagree with those tourists.
This post is way too funny!

There is a huge difference from what tourists perceive L.A. to be and what is reality. Sure, if you are a celebrity living on the beach in Malibu and shopping on Rodeo Drive life is pretty good. Shows like Baywatch and all the countless shows and movies that have come and gone depict a certain lifestyle that 99% of the people in L.A. do not live. So comparing this lifestyle to Houston is ridiculous.

I live in Houston and I grew up in the Valley, it gets pretty darn hot there in the summer and can get frosty in the winter. The smog is horrible most of the time, sure the sun is usually out but you can't see the mountains just a few miles away. "Near perfect weather", it's not bad but not that much better than Houston. Most folks live inland and have to brave long hot summers in the L.A. area.

As far as cost of living, the 1% property taxes in L.A. even out with the 3-4% in Houston given the disparity in the cost of purchasing a home. Add in paying 3 times for the mortgage payment and high income tax rates in CA and the cost of living is way lower in Houston.

You have to stop reading those 1960's Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce Brochures, a little dated to say the least.

Last edited by Winkelman; 09-06-2007 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-06-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelman View Post
There is a huge difference from what tourists perceive L.A. to be and what is reality.
In March my wife and I did a road trip from SD to LA to SF to Sequoia, Death Valley and finally Vegas. As far as cities go, I had the most interest in LA before the trip. After the trip, I wish we had spent less time there and more in SD and SF. I can easily say that LA is the nastiest city we have ever been to. (Central Valley cities are pretty bad too.) I thought Houston's ghettos, pollution, traffic, graffiti, etc were bad. WRONG! Add that to the pretentiousness, artificial looks/personalities, and the epidemic of uptight individuals who **** & moan about everything... Let me say if I didn't have a good friend out there I would have no interest in going back!!!

(I will say the beachside is nice, if untouchable.)

Old 09-07-2007, 12:47 AM

619 posts, read 2,171,693 times
Weather is really the main argument for some to justify paying 6-7 times more on average for a home here in So Cal.
Oh another one...you can see the mountains in the horizon....
Lately i started to see more illegals in the horizon...here in beautiful So Cal
I think there are more illegals here than in any other state of the union...
Illegals, traffic, lots of work to pay for the junky cookie cutter $650 home made in 1956...the whole ideea gets old after a while...and them more traffic and more sweat in the daily grind...California Dreamin`....just a dream...nothing real...not a good life!

VENI, VEDI, VICI!...now off to Houston!

Last edited by flo2900; 09-07-2007 at 01:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston