Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 01:11 PM

17 posts, read 25,776 times

Advertisements

Looking for some input regarding Fort Bend ISD I have a third grader and kindergartner we are moving to Sugar Land in August looking at First Colony -Commonwealth development. The schools would be Commonwealth, Fort Settlement and Clements. For those of you that have had experience with these schools can you let me know your satisfaction. Either on the forum or send me a private message. I was going to investigate catholic or private but the ratings for these schools are great, however, I know that there is a lot more to consider. I would prefer not to pay for private unless there were serious issues with public. I understand all schools have some issues nothing will be perfect. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 01:18 PM

171 posts, read 415,339 times
Those are each very good schools. I would just watch out for the district's finance troubles. They are pretty bad off in that department.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,810,623 times
I got my kids in Commonwealth... Great school with fantastic ratings. They will go to Clements as well.... Don't let the jealous tell you otherwise.... Research and you will see....

Old 07-03-2011, 02:38 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,607,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I got my kids in Commonwealth... Great school with fantastic ratings. They will go to Clements as well.... Don't let the jealous tell you otherwise.... Research and you will see....
The only concern I would have with Clements is if your children are "average". Non-AP kids can be left behind a bit in favor of the AP students.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:41 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,810,623 times
Agreed and that's a valid concern for all good schools. Kids should get equal attention despite their performance.. Very good point indeed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The only concern I would have with Clements is if your children are "average". Non-AP kids can be left behind a bit in favor of the AP students.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:10 PM

139 posts, read 357,020 times
Good schools.

In regards to Clements HS, if you are looking for the best public HS in the area you can't go wrong their. I beleive Clements has produced more National Merit Finalist and Semifinalist than all other non-specialized Schools in the Greater Houston Area. Mainly because the parents are very involved in their children's education. They dont except the school to "raise them" or be a "holding cell" during the day. If your kids are into baseball, I hear that they have an excellent HS baseball program. Also other excellent sports programs.

Since both of your children are in elementary, you may also consider Telfair...which today has both exemplary elementary & middle schools (Cornerstone ES, Sartartia MS) Also after FBISD bought the site to build a new HS in the future, there should be a very good HS with in the community.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:49 PM

171 posts, read 415,339 times
I agree you will probably find the best and newest house in Telfair.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:56 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,877,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin30 View Post
Looking for some input regarding Fort Bend ISD I have a third grader and kindergartner we are moving to Sugar Land in August looking at First Colony -Commonwealth development. The schools would be Commonwealth, Fort Settlement and Clements. For those of you that have had experience with these schools can you let me know your satisfaction. Either on the forum or send me a private message. I was going to investigate catholic or private but the ratings for these schools are great, however, I know that there is a lot more to consider. I would prefer not to pay for private unless there were serious issues with public. I understand all schools have some issues nothing will be perfect. Thanks all.
Almost all of the public schools in or just outside of Sugar Land are very good.

The only possible exception to the statement I know of are some of the schools for the River Park neighborhood; it's in a different district and not zoned to the greatest schools at all levels in that district.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:36 AM

17 posts, read 25,776 times
Thanks all - we did briefly look in Telfair, only in the section by the model homes. The lots seems small in that section, we had to look at other areas since we only had a day so didn't spend too much time there. The homes are beautiful there and seems like a great location.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:48 AM

34 posts, read 101,898 times
We bought our home specifically zoned to Commonwealth, Fort Settlement, and Clements. We have been pleased so far. We moved from a private school out of state and have found these schools to be challenging (in a good way). These schools attract families that are very involved in their children's education.....keeping the community and schools great. It is a pleasant neighborhood also. Yes the AP classes are a little more challenging than the other HS AP classes(even the ones within FBISD); but, don't you want them prepared for college? I always joke with friends back home that it is a little more competitive for my kids because they are competing with future Nobel Prize winners. Academically competitive.....but if your kids are going to have peer pressure wouldn't you want it to push them to be better academically? All three of my kids like their schools a lot.

Last edited by georgecogirl; 07-25-2011 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston