Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM

543 posts, read 1,386,614 times

Advertisements

Recently, every time I let my children out in the yard, front or back, we always got a few mosquito bites. The next day, it's swollen, real bad. It gets to the point that I don't allow my children to play in the yard any more.
FYI, we don't live in a forest or anything. Just a typical suburban subdivision with some typical landscaping bushes and few vegetable pots.

My questions to you all is: How do you deal with mosquito in Houston? The swollen bites could sometimes be the size of the coin and it's itchy. I hate to have to spray some sort of mosquito prevention on my children each time before they get out of the house. Besides, I worry about the chemicals.
If I have to put on on sort of spray or chemical, what brand should I buy? Do I have to put them in the shower immediately after being outside to wash off those chemicals?

So the house that I'm renting comes with 'Pest control'. Does mosquito considered 'pest' and can I ask the landlord to spray for mosquito?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 03:54 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
You're best bet is to spray something like Deepwoods Off on them, or something else containing Deet. You can get that at Academy and Target, and maybe grocery stores too. It's probably very smart to shower or wash off with warm soapy water afterwards, to be on the safe side.

Electric bug zappers that hang outside also help. Definitely look for any places where water collects (i.e. breeding ground for mosquitoes) and make sure water doesn't pool up. That's the best means of prevention, though it of course won't stop them. There are also mosquito dunks that can be placed in water, if there must be places where water must stay. Maybe also try citrinella candles. The experts also say to wear light clothing, or something like that. I doubt that makes much of a difference though.

I'm not sure that calling a pest control agency will help much. They'll just spray, and it might help for a day or so, but it will not last long.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-27-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 03:54 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
I haven't noticed any mosquitos yet and I'm usually out in the evening watering my plants. Do you live near a pond or something? My neighborhood has a truck that comes around every night or two and sprays, that might help some.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:59 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,385 times
I thought the electric bug zappers didn't work on mosquitos.

Insect repellant is just par for the course here.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:34 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,209,779 times
It's been very mild so far this year due to the drought (about the only thing a drought is good for). Only way is to spray and wear long, covering clothing. If you are on the east side of town near the water, those salt marsh mosquitoes can be positively vicious. Make sure you keep the grass cut, the vegetation trimmed, and empty all potential water holders. Ask your neighbors to do the same.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:42 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,832,627 times
There are mosquito repellents body spray that are all natural ingredients such as eucaplyptus oil. I make my own by mixing eucalyptus oil with water in a spray bottle. It works well but only lasts a couple of hours, enough for me to be out and water the plants.

Another thing that works quite well is mosquito repellent incense. It comes in a spiral, normally in green, and lasts for hours. Light them up and place a few in the area where you and your children will be. Do so 1 hour before going out and just leave them on until it's time to go in. I've seen these sold at Walmart (in the gardening products) but if you can't find them there, Hong Kong Food Markets do sell them. The Asian's version probably works better. I had found them on Amazon too: http://www.amazon.com/PIC-Mosquito-R...9220468&sr=8-1

As for what to put on after you've been bite, Cortezone supposed to work. However, I use Tiger Balm. It's a medicine ointment for minor pain, sort of like Vicks. It works best when applied right after being bitten. It's in a small, round, glass bottle, the size of a golf ball. You can find these in Asian stores, Walmart (by Vicks), GNC, Amazon.com, and in certain drug stores.

And these are the ways I cope with mosquitoes.

Last edited by NTT; 06-27-2011 at 06:22 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,237 times
I've not used one myself but a coworker swears by mosquito magnet. It's effectively knocked out all Mosquitos in a 2-3 house radius.

How Our Mosquito Trap Works | MosquitoMagnet.com

Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
My niece puts those dryer strips in her kids pockets after rubbing it on their exposed skin on legs and arms.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,832,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
My niece puts those dryer strips in her kids pockets after rubbing it on their exposed skin on legs and arms.
I tried this method and it didn't work for me. My blood is too irrestistable . As soon as I step outdoor, I can hear them buzzing: "buffet! buffet!" .

Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,022,504 times
Anyone use the new OFF that you just clip to your side? It's like an air fresher you plug in except it clips to your pants. It only works for 8hrs then you need to replace it.

As for keeping them off you. Good luck. I won't spray that nasty stinky stuff on me so I pretty much get eatin alive by them at work.

Where did you come from? They didn't have mosquitoes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: