Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 AM

171 posts, read 414,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I've never seen a City of Houston police all my time in Katy. Plenty of Harris County Sheriffs and Constables though. Though, the COH city limits do run along most area freeways.
That's exactly what I was talking about. Mostly HPD Commercial Vehicle Enforcement but still I always see HPD especially around Fry since a sliver of it is in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 AM

24,010 posts, read 15,106,139 times
Even the school district cops can write tickets or arrest people out of their district. Happens in Klein. Klein ISD cops giving tickets

Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM

99 posts, read 367,819 times
As already mentioned, technically they can write you a ticket anywhere in the state, but most law enforcement agencies respect each others' "turf" and don't do so except in emergencies.

That said, unless you are specifically within another incorporated city in Harris County (Katy, Spring, Baytown, etc), most of unincorporated Harris County is considered to be within Houston's ETJ and therefore is HPD's turf so they're happy to write tickets in those areas.

The city had a budget deficit after all and you were obviously lucky enough to get a reverse lottery ticket to help fill the gap. They can't tax all of Kingwood to pay for Sunnyside - they've got get money from other places, too.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,964,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Even the school district cops can write tickets or arrest people out of their district. Happens in Klein. Klein ISD cops giving tickets
Damn. I guess cops really are cops, no matter if they work for the school district, transit agencies, city, county, state, etc. Had no idea school district cops could give out speeding tickets on the freeways. Be kinda sad getting pulled over by a Katy ISD cop.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 PM

848 posts, read 2,128,664 times
I once saw a "City" of Meadows Place sitting on W. Bellfort near Dairy Ashford, facing that way, setting an apparent trap.

That portion appears to be out of the Meadows city limit; the sign says on their part of Dairy Ashford, "Leaving Meadows Place", northbound, as you're about to re-enter Houston, just before you get to W. Bellfort.

I'm guessing W. Bellfort is a productive revenue thoroughfare for Meadows. Get more revenue than W. Airport or Kirkwood or their part of Dairy Ashford...

Old 06-20-2011, 07:56 PM

848 posts, read 2,128,664 times
Quote:
Damn. I guess cops really are cops, no matter if they work for the school district, transit agencies, city, county, state, etc. Had no idea school district cops could give out speeding tickets on the freeways. Be kinda sad getting pulled over by a Katy ISD cop.
I'd seen Rice University cops having cars pulled over along University Dr. and Main St., just above Holcombe near the transit center.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 PM

867 posts, read 2,978,733 times
In regards to the jurisdiction of special-purpose district (universities, school, transit districts) police:

Texas law...

For school district/transit/university cops, technically their jurisdiction is the entire county where the agency owns, rents or leases property in. Examples:

-SHSU has property in Montgomery County so their agency has jurisdiction in both Montgomery and Walker Counties. As most of us know it's common for universities to own property for research and investment purposes.

-METRO police has jurisdiction in all of Harris County. (Missouri City is a member city, but I'm not sure if there is METRO property in Ft. Bend Co. The MC Park and Ride is in Harris Co.) I once heard of a METRO LEO who gave a ticket in Humble just "for the hell of it" and to simply say he gave a ticket in Humble.

-Fort Bend ISD police technically has jurisdiction in all of Fort Bend County, but they are primarily tasked with dealing with the FBISD schools (while the actual FBISD takes up a fraction of Fort Bend Co).

-Rice University police has jurisdiction all throughout Harris County and quite possibly surrounding counties if they own/control property in other counties.

etc., etc.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 06-20-2011 at 09:50 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 02:36 PM

270 posts, read 478,639 times
I remember HPD would sit under the Beltway 8 overpass at I-45 in the dark at night. Trying to catch people speeding right before they leave the city of Houston city limits. I noticed they would get people going through there heading north.

If not,they would exit Kuykendahl and make a U-turn at Greens and head back south.

Haven't seen them in that spot in a long time.

Harris County would get you right around Airtex or so.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:41 PM

270 posts, read 478,639 times
Quote:

Makes me think of a movie with Martin Lawrence and he's getting hassled by a security guard and calls him a rent-a-cop.

He goes on to say, "Man...what are you going to do ?....... Shine your flashlight on me ?"

" I see yoooou !"

Hahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston