Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,584,912 times

Advertisements

To those who are new or fairly new here (even if you've been here for a decade or two), what do you make of Houston and the surrounding metro area now that you've settled here for good - or at least for now? Where did you come from and how does it compare to what you're used to?

You likely fit into one of three groups - one who likes it, one who loves it or one who would love to get as far away as possible. Don't be shy and don't be afraid of hurting anyone's feelings. If you think it sucks, say exactly why. If you love it, say exactly why. Texans tend to be direct. So be direct here...everyone put on their thick skins and let it go.

Could you see yourself still living here 10-15 years from now? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 04:43 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,559,960 times
I really like it. We just moved here about 10 months ago and have really liked it so far. I had a really big fear of the horrible, brutal, summers that many warned us about before moving here. We have been lucky to not experience it (yet). It's been a mild summer.

The people here are so friendly. You can get so much house for your $ here. There is no shortage of good restaurants. The shopping is great too.
My biggest complaint so far has been the mosquitoes.

We hope to live here for a while. ~K~

Old 08-05-2007, 04:54 PM

174 posts, read 667,078 times
Can I answer in a couple of months...will be there in October can't wait!!!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:34 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,608,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
Can I answer in a couple of months...will be there in October can't wait!!!
We moved to Texas from Florida - best thing we could have done
Good luck

Old 08-05-2007, 08:55 PM

44 posts, read 270,277 times
What towns are you all in that are so great? I'm curious. thanks

Old 08-05-2007, 09:18 PM

8 posts, read 46,500 times
I moved to Houston six months ago from San Francisco. I have to say that on a scale of 1-10 I'd rate Houston a 9.5. When I went back to California to grab my stuff after being here for awhile I thought my old neighborhood, which is considered to be one of the best in the city, looked dirty and run down compared to here.

So heres a list of my thoughts:

1) Not as cheap as I thought it might be here with the exception of housing. Everything else cost the about the same as in California.

2) The people here are superb. Friendly, good manners, pretty conservative, and seem to have good values.

3) It's nice to be seen as a political moderate versus being seen as a far right winger on the Left coast. :-)

4) The weather's not nearly as bad as folks will lead you to believe. Maybe this has been a cool summer by Houston standards. It's been very tolerable.

5) Business is a bit harder down here since folks tend to be nicer than I am used to. The buying signs aren't as clear. Everyone's cordial whether they intend to work with you or not.

6) I like the look of the city and the scale of the state and the variety of flora, fauna, etc.

Will I be here 10-15 years from now? Possibly. If I left for any reason it would be for business, not because I didn't like Houston.

Sporting Clays

Last edited by Sporting Clays; 08-05-2007 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-05-2007, 09:27 PM

Are groceries and gas as high as you found them in SF?

Houston's Inner Loop is more progressive - the ones on the left are not very radical and the ones on the right are more libertarian. The few noisy people on the fringes are very much on the fringes. Live and let live is the mainstream here.

Regarding the summer - it has been mild because of the unusually wet and cloudy weather. Hate to say it, but sooner or later you're gonna endure a broiler. I still very much remember those long summer nights in '98....one of the hottest on record. You'll learn to have fun even when it's hot. The humidity is good for the skin. That's why the girls in LA need plastic surgery so much - they're too dry over there.

Last edited by jfre81; 08-05-2007 at 09:35 PM..

Old 08-05-2007, 09:47 PM

8 posts, read 46,500 times
Actually that's a good question. I was thinking about that after I typed the cost statement above.

I'd have to say that gas and groceries are a bit cheaper...but not by much. I used to buy Chevron hi-test in Cali (6 months ago) for about $3.25 per gallon as a dated reference point. Food may be 10-15% cheaper depending upon the item. My reference point on that is I've gotten fatter since arrival. Seriously, they are a bit cheaper.

Good description on Houston political persuasions. Matches what I have seen.

Thanks for the feedback on the weather. Thought that might be the case. Thanks to Mother Nature for breaking me in easy. I'll just have to wait for her to drop the heat hammer later this month, or next year.

LOL on the LA women. That's all I'll say on that matter.

Sporting Clays

Last edited by Sporting Clays; 08-05-2007 at 09:58 PM..

Old 08-05-2007, 10:13 PM

59 posts, read 191,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So you moved here - what do you think?
I moved to the Clear Lake area in January this year due to a job. We also have a home South of Los Angeles (Orange County) and travel back and forth several times a month. I would place myself between your groups of like it/would like to leave Houston. In rough categories, these are my impressions…

Employment – Employment in my field (oil/chemicals) is currently very strong in Houston. There is much expansion and growth in the industry right now and Houston is the place to be for that.

Driving – My commute is 25 minutes and non congested on non-interstate roads, but I have ventured on I-45 during rush hour and the traffic is as bad as anywhere else. But there is a difference, I find Houston drivers are meaner and aggressive compared with L.A. commuters. Here drivers will take ridiculous risk for the simple reason of getting in front of the next person even if it makes no real difference in their situation. In L.A., traffic is huge and unbelievable, but the commute is much less stressful.

Food/Entertainment – The quality and availability of restaurants in Houston is about the same as in L.A.. Overall I find the service better in Houston. Earning minimum wage in L.A. leads to apathy. In most other categories I prefer California as there is more to do, being outside.

Attitude (not behind the wheel) – People in Houston are definitely lazier and fatter. I find there is a “bubba” factor in Houston that I do not see in L.A.. I often think of people in Houston as poor people that have money. There are PLENTY of poor people in LA, but what you would think of as “middle class” in L.A. have a different attitude than in Houston, more sophisticated.

Housing/Taxes – For us, working and earning, Houston is advantageous. For the same income and equivalent houses (LA house being ~2 times the $ than a Houston house), we pay about half the taxes in TX that we do in CA. This fact would change if we were retired.

CA – property tax (~1.1%) + income tax (4.5 to 7%)
TX – property tax (~3.4%) with no income tax

Weather – A lot of people say they love the weather in Houston. I am not one of those. Day or night, assuming it is not raining, it is oppressively hot and humid. The AC runs constantly. It is hot in L.A., but it cools quickly at night. Finding shade in LA works, it does not here in Houston. Being outside and doing something, anything in Houston means sweating.

Overall – Houston for us has a lower quality of life. But it is a place to make money in certain fields. My family and I could certainly live in Houston the rest of our lives, but I can not see that happening. That said, there are just as many that fall into the “love it” group and would not think of leaving.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:34 PM

I asked for honesty and there it is.

Houston was never a place to move to because it felt good here. It feels good to some people, but not many.

Do, however, before you leave: Take some time to venture into the Inner Loop. Montrose. Heights. Midtown even. You will find a different level of sophistication. Clear Lake is only Houston on paper. Personally, I didn't come from anywhere else. I rose from a little bubble of intellect and haute couture called Texas City, which is not too far south and east from you. Just follow your nose. Some of them can even afford Budweiser instead of Busch. Real high-falutin' folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston