Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:52 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,010 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were rear ended almost ten years ago late at night at 290 and Little York. A "disabled veteran" in an Explorer crushed her Celica, totalling it. He was driving alone, and appeared intoxicated to us. Police Officer arrived, noted he was alone, but didnt seem to think the guy was drunk. Months later, her insurance called her dad and said the guy was suing. Claimed he and a passenger were hurt. We all told the insurance company we would testify he was alone, and not injured. The insurance company still paid him off to not have to go to trial.

This is why we should be a "loser pays" state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 01:23 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,496,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I will never understand why people sue for "accidents." They are accidents!!! Accidental!!

I believe in Karma. That 18 wheeler driver could easily cause another accident, a bad one, where someone is severely injured or worse. That person will have a choice, sue, or be a decent human being. I hope karma gets him.

Maybe because accidents are/were preventable? Just saying.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:08 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,066 times
Lawyers, blood sucking parasites.

Guess where most are? And no, not on animals.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:00 PM

739 posts, read 2,135,391 times
I'm a lawyer. But don't hate me, I'm also a nurse. I work in healthcare and not the legal field. What I suspect is the 18 wheeler driver has been working on this case with a lawyer for the last 18 months or so. The statue-of-limitation to file a lawsuit of this nature in Texas is 2 years. Therefore, the 18 wheeler driver must file noww or lose his tight to suit. I suspect the lawyer has been involved all along and working with your insurance company. Your insurance company probably is refusing to pay, thus the need to file a lawsuit. You will be the one named because it is you are the respondent. Your insurance company you assit you in this matter unless they feel you did something in violation of your policy.

On a separate note, you do not recall being summoned to traffic court for this issue. If the 18 wheeler driver contested the ticket, went to court and you did not show up, the judge could have found you guilty. Once guilt is established, a civil case (the type of case you are being sued for) is much easier to prove and a lawyer much happier to take on.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 25,237 times
Thank you all so much for your generous responses and info. Thank you Pdouglas. I receive the court paper today. The 18 wheeler insurance sue me for 130,500$

Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
Yikes! I'm so sorry! Can you give us any more details? Did you miss a court date? Why did the police say that both of you were at fault?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdouglas View Post
On a separate note, you do not recall being summoned to traffic court for this issue. If the 18 wheeler driver contested the ticket, went to court and you did not show up, the judge could have found you guilty. Once guilt is established, a civil case (the type of case you are being sued for) is much easier to prove and a lawyer much happier to take on.
You're not a lawyer. Traffic court presides over traffic tickets, not accidents. He said nothing at all about either party getting any tickets. And even if there were, traffic tickets are between the state and the offender, not between two offenders. There is no common court date for both parties and how one party resolves their ticket would have no bearing at all on how the other party resolves theirs.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,746 times
the risk for "loser pays" legislation is not for the little scummy law suits like traffic accidents. the risk and inhumanity in it are for the major cases like class action lawsuits against chemical companies, major businesses, refineries where a corporation can spend millions on protection, they typically get their way and win in court and then the people who filed will end up having to pay the company who is already rolling in money.

i dont believe there is an exemption for suits like that. its basically giving a corporation who already is poorly regulated freedom from fear of litigation for wrong doings. why settle out of court when you will get your lawyers paid for by the other side while crippling them at the same time

Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciatun View Post
.The police record stated that both cars have faults although it's so clear that I have got hit from the back and had all the damage but 18 wheeler did not even had a ding. Now...

In Texas, the Police do not decide any level of fault in a crash.(that is a civil issue) If they have probable cause you were in violation of a statute(criminal issue), they may issue a citation or make an arrest. A citation or arrest does not establish "fault." It means that you are being accused of a crime.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:05 AM

314 posts, read 414,380 times
yeah thats nothing new some ladie got off a bus to use a phone at one of the kids houses. a heavy ladie adout 400 pounds asks for a phone was told to stay outside but decided to open the door and stand inside while the phone is given to her yelling at her daughter to not let the tax collectors take the tv. steps out backwards the step is high but level falls the ambulance is called ladie was hurt but heard nothing of a law suit until the day before the time you can sue expires which is 5 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston