Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:23 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,824,338 times

Advertisements

Let me get this straight. We allow kids of illegal immigrants to go to our schools but we can't take care of our own???? Does Houston have a similar law or policy? This is really depressing

Outrage around homeless mom charged for sending son to better school - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110425/us_yblog_thelookout/rally-for-prosecuted-homeless-mom-who-sent-son-to-a-better-school-district - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 PM

1,667 posts, read 4,729,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Let me get this straight. We allow kids of illegal immigrants to go to our schools but we can't take care of our own???? Does Houston have a similar law or policy? This is really depressing

Outrage around homeless mom charged for sending son to better school - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110425/us_yblog_thelookout/rally-for-prosecuted-homeless-mom-who-sent-son-to-a-better-school-district - broken link)

Yes, we have a policy that says your child must attend the school in the zone where the parents reside. It's the law unless you get a transefer to another school.

Can you imagine the uproar if schools in the nicer burbs were flooded with poor homeless kids as in this case?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:46 PM

24,279 posts, read 15,377,733 times
Texas does. My kid can go to the school my district assigns him to. The rules permit me to apply to another school district. If they have room they can accept him. The funds from the state follow the student. I must pay the difference between what the state pays and what it cost the district.
If I live in a certain district, I can enroll my child in another district if I give custody to another person. Some district welcome these, as Dr. Cain, the superintendent of Klein explained to the trustees, that custodian is paying property taxes.
I live in a not so favorable high school attendance zone. People in my community do all sorts of things to get their kids into Klein high school. Some succeed, some don't. If you are on the cheer squad and may be the head cheerleader, all he77 can break loose. Parents were divorced. Mom was in Forest, dad was in Klein. Mom had custody. They used dad's address. Kid got kicked out after the cops went to dad's one night looking for the kid.
A family from Westfield zone in Spring bought a cheap lot in Klein Oak zone. Said they were gonna build a house. The kid was an honor student. The parents had not built their house when the kid graduated.
In some district, it depends if they like you. Kids are giving fake addresses all over Houston. Especially those HISD students who live very close to CY Fair, Klein, Spring, Ft. Bend, etc. Some get caught and run off. Some districts do not even check.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,576,783 times
While it's not hard to understand that Mother's motivation and intent, it's unfortunate that the parents that resort to these measures don't think twice about what they are really teaching their own kids.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,087,895 times
less than 3% of students are undocumented. the waste and ridiculousness in school policies adds up to more cost than 3% of a school population in a state. i wonder what the percentage is of families who illegally put their kids into better schools and what the cost of this is for the school district?

http://capitolannex.com/2010/12/05/d...flated-flawed/warning: you need math skills

Old 04-26-2011, 06:04 AM

All property owners within a district pay the same tax rate. Why should some students get the benefit of experienced., motivated teachers and some get the least experienced ones? I live closer to KHS than Forest. Just look at the data on the TEA site. My community is getting screwed. Klein is re segregating. If they want to throw me into a school with SAT's that should be embarrassing and a 14% drop out rate, it should be reflected in my taxes. It dam_ sure is reflected in the housing prices.
All districts need open enrollment. The district can be no better than the least performing school.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,981,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
All property owners within a district pay the same tax rate. Why should some students get the benefit of experienced., motivated teachers and some get the least experienced ones? I live closer to KHS than Forest. Just look at the data on the TEA site. My community is getting screwed. Klein is re segregating. If they want to throw me into a school with SAT's that should be embarrassing and a 14% drop out rate, it should be reflected in my taxes. It dam_ sure is reflected in the housing prices.
All districts need open enrollment. The district can be no better than the least performing school.
Its sad that in the public school system, it can be luck of the draw (with those with more money having more luck) over a child's school years. I plan to avoid the whole thing and when I have a child, just enroll them in private school. Sure I'll be paying twice, but it avoids the whole issue. And you never have to worry about these issues there.

Frankly though, I despise the fact that these parents are charged with a felony though. Kick the kid out, put the district on notice about the parent's antics, but otherwise leave it alone. Throughing her in jail for this doesn't help anyone.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:10 AM

The sad thing about the situation here is that the district is pi$$ing off dollars. We are comps with Champions Forest. I got all of the values off of HCAD plus the tax revenue to the district. If we were in KHS instead of Forest the district would have the salaries for a couple of teachers, just from the increase in property value.
The good thing about it is that the house prices, for what you get are so low, one can easily pay private tuition, and lower have taxes There are very few children here. Looks like Sun City. The majority of kids in the Strack Corridor go to private.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,509,585 times
The real question here is what crime was she breaking? She's HOMELESS! She doesn't have an address at all. She stayed in the homeless shelter in the Norwalk area and had her child enrolled in that school, albeit under a friend's address. I don't see why it is wrong to use a friend's address if you're homeless so that you have someplace stable to receive mail. It would be another story if she used a friend's address instead of her own, but she doesn't have an address! So which school should her child have attended? This is simply discrimination. They wouldn't have raised an eyebrow if she'd had him in the cruddy school. This smacks of white supremacy.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,981,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The sad thing about the situation here is that the district is pi$$ing off dollars. We are comps with Champions Forest. I got all of the values off of HCAD plus the tax revenue to the district. If we were in KHS instead of Forest the district would have the salaries for a couple of teachers, just from the increase in property value.
Except that KF would be that much worse off and sink even further. Districts live in a Catch-22 cycle and I don't see anything changing anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: