Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times

Advertisements

I met my husband the old-fashioned way (newspaper personals!) but if I were single today, I'd use Match.com or eHarmony.com or some other matchmaking site.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyhoustongyrl View Post
LOL Thanks Guys....but the thing is I don't go anywhere but work, school and home and grocery shopping...I don't have friends to go out with....and when I do go to the park and some of the events guys I see are already with their women....and KIDS
A good way to meet people (if not necessarily boyfriends specfically) is to volunteer for various things (dog shelters, Habitat for Humanity, park clean-up days, church events, etc). its great because most people are there because they want to be and they usually are very friendly. You can make alot of friends doing that pretty quickly. And if you make friends with a married woman, some of them can be very good matchmakers,

Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 AM

594 posts, read 1,250,287 times
You have gotten some great advice already... and no, not everyone marries young here. We were over 30 and met in our late 20's. Both of us dated quite a bit before meeting. Most of our friends we met since moving here are the same.

The main thing is you have to put yourself out there. I'm a more reserved person so I know this isn't always easy BUT you have to go out and make yourself available, however you do that.

Online is great for meeting a ton of different people. I did this off and on for a few years and met some great guys. I just found that it was a bit more structured way to meet than some of the relationships that just sort of happened serendipitously. It's fine and there are so many success stories, I just didn't meet my husband that way!

I found that I had the most fun when I just went out and did things. When you are having fun, you tend to attract. You got a lot of great ideas from others about what to do (I heard great things about Events and Adventures too but volunteering through all sorts of services is a great idea) And like someone else said, you might just meet a great friend who knows a great guy... but you will have to go out and talk and be friendly. Show off that personality.

I met my husband because a family member introduced me to him. I was incredibly dubious but they were right. Sometimes friends and family know what we are looking for and are a great aid in meeting the right people.

Most importantly, don't put so much pressure on yourself. Enjoy yourself, have fun, pursue your interests. I don't know anyone that was attracted to someone because they seemed bored or had no interests.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Memorial Park

Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,155,311 times
Do you like to play sports? Club Monkey has coed softball, flag football, ect.. good times.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,479,280 times
If the club scene doesn't interest you much, how about a book club? Or gardening club? Whatever it is that interests you is a great place to meet a guy who has similar interests so you'll enjoy being together. I met my hubby on an online dating site. I have friends who met online, but they were both into homesteading and kept a herd of milk goats. They met on a goat message board. :-D

Old 04-15-2011, 02:04 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,700 times
Nobody's mentioned church, but the churches and synagogues here run HUGE singles department. You don't necessarily have to subscribe to their theology or even their religion (!) to go.

Second Baptist comes to mind. Swarming with singles.

Two of my friends met at Second Baptist, married, and immediately went back to being Methodist.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:27 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,604,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoid View Post
You have gotten some great advice already... and no, not everyone marries young here. We were over 30 and met in our late 20's. Both of us dated quite a bit before meeting. Most of our friends we met since moving here are the same.

The main thing is you have to put yourself out there. I'm a more reserved person so I know this isn't always easy BUT you have to go out and make yourself available, however you do that.

Online is great for meeting a ton of different people. I did this off and on for a few years and met some great guys. I just found that it was a bit more structured way to meet than some of the relationships that just sort of happened serendipitously. It's fine and there are so many success stories, I just didn't meet my husband that way!

I found that I had the most fun when I just went out and did things. When you are having fun, you tend to attract. You got a lot of great ideas from others about what to do (I heard great things about Events and Adventures too but volunteering through all sorts of services is a great idea) And like someone else said, you might just meet a great friend who knows a great guy... but you will have to go out and talk and be friendly. Show off that personality.

I met my husband because a family member introduced me to him. I was incredibly dubious but they were right. Sometimes friends and family know what we are looking for and are a great aid in meeting the right people.

Most importantly, don't put so much pressure on yourself. Enjoy yourself, have fun, pursue your interests. I don't know anyone that was attracted to someone because they seemed bored or had no interests.

Good luck!
Seoid, do not forget to show her your post about your neighbor. Anyway, like Malvie said, try a church group. Also, DesertSun41's post about the country dancing was a sensible and safe way to meet people.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:40 PM

61,748 posts, read 87,217,162 times
meetup.com Houston groups?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:44 PM

594 posts, read 1,250,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Seoid, do not forget to show her your post about your neighbor. Anyway, like Malvie said, try a church group. Also, DesertSun41's post about the country dancing was a sensible and safe way to meet people.
I am trying so hard not to laugh right now that I'm crying. It's so quiet in the office this afternoon.

Sure, come on over and meet the neighbor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston