Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the 96-gallon trash bins
Yes 12 52.17%
No 8 34.78%
I'm not sure 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,835,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
They're too big??? We thought they were too small at my house. We use to fill that thing up weekly. Had to use the neighbors trashcan sometimes. Those aren't just in Houston, but all over Texas.
From my view... sitting in a wheelchair... it is huuuuuge!

Yep, the new trashcan was delivered today in our neighborhood. It wasn't as tall as the one my brother has. Phew! That was a relief. But, that thingy is a bit heavy! Since it's on wheels, my power wheelchair is doing all the pushing . I must admit, a power wheelchai can be a fun tool to have . Wish they'd make these stronger and faster!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,130,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
From my view... sitting in a wheelchair... it is huuuuuge!

Yep, the new trashcan was delivered today in our neighborhood. It wasn't as tall as the one my brother has. Phew! That was a relief. But, that thingy is a bit heavy! Since it's on wheels, my power wheelchair is doing all the pushing . I must admit, a power wheelchai can be a fun tool to have . Wish they'd make these stronger and faster!
NTT - glad to hear that it's shorter than you had expected. My husband is able to push ours in his power wheelchair but I don't know how easy it would be for him to maneuver when fully-loaded. Are you home when they collect? There were a few times when I'd forgotten to set it out the night before & DH would be trying to roll it out to the curb. The men collecting on our street were kind of enough to walk all the way up our driveway and take the can from DH. They rolled it back next to our garage, too. That was up in The Woodlands. If you find that you have difficulty maneuvering the can after all, I would call WM and see if there is anything they can do to help.

We have the 96-gal cans as well (plus a petite grey recycle version), 2x/week pickup. I do agree that 2x/week pickup seems wasteful but when I I've forgotten to take the trash out for Tues/Fri pickup, I know that I have another chance.

I really don't have any complaints except for the fact that it IS hard to clean & deodorize because of its size. I much prefer these large cans to homeowner random cans of other places we've lived. Between the lost lids, overflowing cans and the collectors throwing the cans haphazardly back on the curb, I couldn't wait to move somewhere with the uniform cans again.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 04-13-2011 at 10:31 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
NTT

Sambaguita, you're right, it is a bit hard to maneuver due to its width. I'm fortunate to have many good neighbors. They've already volunteered to help me if needed to. Now that I've seen and pulled the trashcan, I'm going to be alright. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind.

Hey, I'm wondering if WM allows me to build a remote control system under the trashcan, wouldn't it be fun?! Is there an engineer out there that would like to volunteer for this task? We can do an infomercial and make millions!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,130,763 times
Quote:
Sambaguita, you're right, it is a bit hard to maneuver due to its width. I'm fortunate to have many good neighbors. They've already volunteered to help me if needed to.

Hey, I'm wondering if WM allows me to build a remote control system under the trashcan, wouldn't it be fun?! Is there any engineer out there that would like to volunteer for this task? We can do an infomercial and make millions!
Very cool that your neighbors have already volunteered to help if needed. Our neighbor in San Diego started taking ours out almost as soon as we had moved in (& barely knew them!). He figured we/DH had enough to deal with and I think he also found it a good teaching tool for their young sons.

There are so many things that DH dreams up with remote access...y'all could make millions together!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:45 PM
NTT

You know, being in a wheelchair, I have to be smart when it comes to cleaning chores. Whenever, I can't reach for something, I think of a long arm substitute for reaching. I do have several gripping arm tools but a mop with interchangeable heads (screw in type) have been the greatest help for me. Besides floors, I use it to clean bathroom mirrors, bathtubs, and the inside of the outdoor trashcan. Afterward, I just hose it down for rinsing. You may want to try that with these huge trashcans.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,605,830 times
Quote:
Sambaguita, you're right, it is a bit hard to maneuver due to its width. I'm fortunate to have many good neighbors. They've already volunteered to help me if needed to. Now that I've seen and pulled the trashcan, I'm going to be alright. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind.

Hey, I'm wondering if WM allows me to build a remote control system under the trashcan, wouldn't it be fun?! Is there an engineer out there that would like to volunteer for this task? We can do an infomercial and make millions!
^^^NTT, I like the way you think. Hopefully some electrical engineer will step up and help design some sort of remote control dolly system with you.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 PM
NTT

Sorry Texas7, didn't mean to hijack your polling thread. Sorry, sorry, sorry.

For anyone that have ideas or would like to comment on my posts in this thread, let's just please start another thread and leave this one as what is meant to be.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 PM

8,897 posts, read 20,021,962 times
No problem.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,058,573 times
if a family can fill up the COH cans in a week they are doing it wrong. ever heard of recycling or not eating your own weight in packaging?

i never had a problem with the COH plastic cans. had them at my old place and have them here now. family out in the suburbs still uses their own. no difference.

i have my can outside my back door. it can't be seen from my driveway or the front of the home. i don't waste much so it never stinks. i typically only have one bag in there at the week's end for pickup.

i hope to get the COH recycling 96gallon can soon. we still have the two bins. both could easily fit in my garage either between my cars or in front of them. they have wheels and aren't heavy

for someone who is disabled it could be a problem. hopefully they have a friendly neighbor to take their cans out to the street and back

Old 02-28-2012, 01:56 PM

392 posts, read 999,842 times
I don't have em although I work in Montrose and I see those cans slam into ppls cars all the time. Never walked up and looked if they were leaving scratches though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston