Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,155,698 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been out there over the last week?

I've read that because of the lack of rain, the bluebonnets have a slow start this year. We're taking OOT guests and not sure if the 1.5 hrs would be worth it considering we're not leaving until after lunch (my aunt is a LATE riser & takes quite a while to get ready). We've never been to Brenham.

Are there any other alternatives for quaint towns that aren't quite so far? We are in Missouri City.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,068,911 times
Chappel Hill is nice but haven't been to confirm the BBs.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 AM

488 posts, read 1,389,482 times
I would like to know also as I would like to get some nice photographs this year. I won't get out this weekend though it will be the following weekend.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:23 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,605,910 times
THP has bluebonnets in various places, if you can't get out of town

Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,155,698 times
Just was directed to this:

Texas Wildflower Sightings

(my aunt is up AND getting ready!)

Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,301,893 times
We have a ranch in Brenham, I drive up every weekend.

There were some bluebonnets already visible along 290, but not near as many as last year (which was a great year). The most prolific areas are between Chappel Hill and Brenham. Also, take 105 east from Brenham for more bluebonnet viewing.

From what I'm seeing, they won't be as thick as last year, which was phenomenal, a year for the record books, nor will they be as vivid. They were paler in color. Probably due to lack of rain. Last year we had several inches of rain by now. This year, we've had .5" of rain in the last four months!

It's still worth the trip though!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:01 PM

25 posts, read 67,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
THP has bluebonnets in various places, if you can't get out of town
What is THP?

I live in Sugar Land and I'm hoping to find someplace local to take my son's picture with some bluebonnets. I have a photographer friend who has been taking some great pictures with bluebonnets in this area but she is not willing to share her location.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,318,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Has anyone been out there over the last week?

I've read that because of the lack of rain, the bluebonnets have a slow start this year. We're taking OOT guests and not sure if the 1.5 hrs would be worth it considering we're not leaving until after lunch (my aunt is a LATE riser & takes quite a while to get ready). We've never been to Brenham.

Are there any other alternatives for quaint towns that aren't quite so far? We are in Missouri City.

Thanks!
Your aunt is cool. Nothing wrong with late risers

Right now Rocket Park at Johnson Space Center has a huge patch of pink flowers interspersed with some orange (indian paintbrush??) and bluebonnets.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:29 PM

967 posts, read 2,623,119 times
We have family in LaGrange and drive there pretty frequently. I do have to say the BB are lacking their luster this year... Lack of rain. They are shorter and much less vibrant in color.

Certainly not the beautiful bold that takes peoples breath away.

And over Spring Break we were at Rocket Park at Space Center... With out of state friends from Portland, OR. I don't think we even noticed them in Rocket Park

Old 03-31-2011, 04:33 PM

443 posts, read 1,351,452 times
I was in Brenham today...flowers are nothing compared to last year due to lack of rain. Best carpets I've seen are between Hempstead and Navasota on Highway 6 (last weekend). Even East Texas has been severely lacking in rainfall (we have a place near Jasper) so I think the flowers and azaleas out there are suffering too. Bottom line is to look forward to 2012 and prepare for the worst this summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston