Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 03:47 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times

Advertisements

I heard they needed a winter season to bloom. Not sure if Houston winter would be adequate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:35 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,707 times
Yes, they need a dormant phase. Will they grow without a long winter like in Tx, I'm guessing they probably won't do well even if they do bloom.
But, you can put the bulbs in the refridgerator wrapped to block out light for several months to stimulate winter. OR, you can buy the blooming plants from a nursery in the spring and plop it into your garden.
Tulips usu wilt very quickly after blooming, and probably even quicker in the TX heat, so I don't know if you want to go through so much trouble for a few days of bloom. There's a reason why nurseries in Tx don't sell too many tulips

Old 03-24-2011, 05:42 PM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I don't recall seeing any, but obviously there are some species that could be cultivated in Houston:
Species Tulips for Texas

Tulips - Hybrid, plant 6” deep around Christmas or in Jan. Due to Houston's warm temperatures, Tulips must be refrigerated at 48 to 55 degrees for 8 weeks before planting. These annuals come in an array of colors, white, yellow, red, pink, purple, lavenders, two-tone, and etc. When Tulip bulbs are finished blooming, remove bulbs from the ground and throw them away. This is important, as bulbs should not be left in the ground over a year as next years bulbs can be affected, and not do well, even if they are new. If temperatures are warm at planting time, it is suggested to not grow them in pots. Teas will have over 30 varieties of Tulips this year.
Watsonia - Bugle Lily, plant 3” deep from Sept. through Nov. Watsonias are a member of the Gladiola family and need to be planted toward the back of the garden. They naturalize well in Houston. The blooms appear in shades of red, peach, white, and pink.
Teas Bulb Advice - Fall Bulbs Sheet (http://www.teasnursery.com/FallBulbs.htm - broken link)

^^ they say: On the coldest, nastiest day of the year, when the temperature is painfully cold and it is raining and breezy, that is the perfect time to plant your tulip bulbs. Plant tulips in the month of January for best results.

Last edited by elnina; 03-29-2012 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 05:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Yes, they need a dormant phase. Will they grow without a long winter like in Tx, I'm guessing they probably won't do well even if they do bloom.
But, you can put the bulbs in the refridgerator wrapped to block out light for several months to stimulate winter. OR, you can buy the blooming plants from a nursery in the spring and plop it into your garden.
Tulips usu wilt very quickly after blooming, and probably even quicker in the TX heat, so I don't know if you want to go through so much trouble for a few days of bloom. There's a reason why nurseries in Tx don't sell too many tulips
Yes we had tulips when I was a kid, and my Mom did this in SE Tx. The weather is identical to Houston.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 PM

23,960 posts, read 15,066,841 times
Several nurseries sell refrigerated bulbs in the late fall. Even if you get good results the first year, they have to be dug up, same thing for the next. If we get a hot spell when they bloom, they are gone in the blink of an eye. Buy cut ones, and try to find something that is native to love.
I have that problem with lilac and peonies. Planted lilacs in Dallas and watered with ice every day. Never could get enough cold hours.
Have had good results with freesia.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 PM

860 posts, read 1,584,819 times
Elnina, the info on growing tulips in Houston is basically correct but unfortunately, Teas Nursery went out of business some time ago. Other locally owned nurseries have tulip bulbs for our area in the fall.

We treat tulips as short-season early spring annuals here -- kinda expensive and not too reliable. Some years they do well and other years not. For anyone looking for spring-blooming bulbs, there are varieties of daffodils and narcissus that naturalize in the garden.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:17 PM

99 posts, read 367,537 times
I have always had good luck with daffodils (especially Dutch Masters). Tulips are more tricky.

Generally, you need to buy your bulbs early in the fall and put them in a paper bag in the refrigerator by October 1, then watch them and move them around every week or so to make sure they don't mold or get mushy.

Put them in the ground on a cold day around New Years Day and fertilize them with bone meal.

Then you MIGHT have some tulip plants come up out of the ground and some of those MIGHT bloom.

I have had some really good years with tulips and some really bad years. Truthfully, it really is a crapshoot.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:28 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
One of my neighbors had a ton come up. They put down those "bulb mats." It's incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: