Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:39 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliajulie View Post
River Oaks Elementary is an excellent school. It is much stronger academically than the other HISD schools you listed. You can get stats on all HISD schools from the hisd website. You search the name of the school and then click on the "school profile". This will download a PDF for you and you can read the stats on any HISD school you care about.

River Oaks is a top performer. The curriculum is very tough. Yes they do now mix neighborhood kids into the vanguard classrooms but be forewarned: they have not adjusted the curriculum. Lots of kids leave the school because they cannot make the grade. It is as challenging as the elementary school program at the top private schools and yes it is true that it is a feeder into the top private schools. Not only is it a Vanguard school but it is also an IB school. The top students from River Oaks are stiff competition for a coveted slot into top private schools like St. John's. In Houston, St. John's School is considered the academic pinnacle of all private schools. (That doesn't mean it is the best because a lot of people think it is overly singularly focused on academics). But it is the most respected from a purely academic standpoint. Last year about 1 in 4 of the River Oaks students who applied to St. John's got in. That's pretty impressive because the number of kids entering 6th grade at St. John's School from River Oaks (about 5 or 6 last year) is about the same or higher than the number entering from any other private school. So in terms of quality education, you can rest assured that your child will receive a very high quality education there.

The other problem though is that HISD stands to lose over $200 million dollars next year because of budget cuts. The state of Texas has been so mismanaged that it has no money and public schools across the state are going to take a huge hit. It's a shame too because the vanguard program at HISD is one of the only bright spots and it makes a lot of people sick to think of them doing anything to damage it. This might make you think about private schools. Now it is too late for you to apply to any this year. Most are sending out decision letters in March. But next year you could and probably should consider applying to St. John's School, River Oaks Baptist, Presbyterian, AOS (those I just listed are all fairly close to River Oaks). Outside of River Oaks there is Regis (all boys), Kinkaid (excellent school), and Awty (excellent multi-lingual private school). Since your son is born in the late Fall, you should be prepared to apply for first grade all over again. No top private schools want a boy born in the late Fall going with his birth year. And actually that is to your benefit because none of them have entry points in 2nd grade but a few (St. John's for one) have entry points in 1st grade which helps your odds.

In the meantime, enroll your son at River Oaks and be very thankful he is there. I would also keep an eye on the newspaper to see what is going to happen to HISD's funding and how that will impact River Oaks Elementary. Whatever happens the school will still be really good but I for one am really hoping and praying that no matter what happens, HISD will protect its excellent vanguard program. Good luck to you and welcome to Houston.
Masterful Shill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Masterful Shill.
I deal with a lot of the HISD elementary schools and can tell you that the best run elementary schools are all on the east side.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,581 times
We moved from out of states to Houston last summer and my child was placed into ROE. I can tell you, not all the kids survive in this school. My child was in 3rd grade moving to 4th grade. There are quite a few students were already fall behind and needing to go tutoring after school. However, for my child, I saw incredible result. She does well and seems knowing her stuff well. She's much more confident and happy. She's also more responsible knowing what her role is. She was an average kid before. Now, she just move by herself and will do her homework and readings without any reminders. She also participates project works and received recognition. On her SAT, all her subject was rated above 6 grades and some of them were in PHS (Post High School) level. What I'm trying to say is, this school teach kids the right attitude towards learning and I think that's basically the most important part in learnings at their age. Their 5 major core values in IB really makes it outstanding.

What I wanted to point out though, you need to know your kids also. This school will challenge the kids and push for excellent. Everyone regardless they are in vanguard or not, will be in the same class but they put kids into small groups. Their grouping is based on their SAT score.

However, if you think talent is everything, stay away from this school also. They have so much homework everyday. My child spend average 30-45 mins a day to do her homework + extra projects works. There are weeks that we gave up our activities just trying to finish her projects. I mean not her, it's us. Parent's involvement is also highly needed.

I dont know how other school is in Houston. Our other school was good also locally but nothing close to ROE. I hope my insight help and good luck on choosing your school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston