Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:36 PM

433 posts, read 1,929,895 times

Advertisements

We have some kind of animals in our attic. We tried to catch them with a trap from the city (no luck). We put in a ton of poison and it is mainly untouched, except for one we found outside (apparently the rodents threw it out!?). We haven't found any holes chewed anywhere, but we did cover an opening from the detached garage that led through the covered walkway to the kitchen.

I hear them running around up there in a section of the attic we can't get to- it's the little roof overhang kind-of between our first and second floor (if that makes sense). It's driving me crazy. Recently I watched an episode of hoarders where the guy had 2500 pet rats and all I can think about are thousands of rats overtaking my attic.

1) How do I know if they are rats or squirrels?
2) What else can we do?

PS- We have never seen anything, nor can we find any droppings (but again, we can't get to the main part where they seem to hang out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:48 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,345 times
They are most likely roof rats, which are common in the Sun Belt. Had that issue while I tended my grandparents' house in Florida for awhile, bless their souls.

I had to pay attention to what animals were around. Then one night, as I returned from work, I saw three rats strolling along a ledge atop the garage door. I saw their entry and path toward the car port (which my grandpa set up long ago) to access the trees.

Won't touch poison? Rats know what that is, extremely intelligent as they are. They are very, very careful of what they eat. They also catalog what is new in their environment. I've had pet rats...and indeed, they are great problem solvers, whether roof rats or basement rats (two different species of rattus).

Maybe one rat in the colony or group ate poison, died...yes, rats definitely learn from that. And it's not good to use poison because they can potentially die anywhere, not be located for awhile, then decompose causing different problems.

Rats also "sense" death of their littermates that they sniff in the snaptraps (certain hormones are released in violent death)...and will in the future avoid them.

It's odd that you don't find droppings but they tend to soil a particular location. At my grandparents', I noticed that they had particular pathways, such as the attic ducts, and saw some droppings.

Just as I was about to proactively take care of the rat issue at my grandparents with Havaheart traps, I left to return to Houston. I almost caught one but I forgot to place a latch properly and it got away. Just as I was about to learn from that, I had to pack up and go.

Havahearts are humane. You can release them far, far away upon capture. The only real thing to do is try and fully insulate the attic. Use hard mesh (roof rats are not at all powerful chewers like basement rats) or such. Then there's the good old exterminator if all else fails.

My mom got a roofer to plug up the holes that I suspected were the entries. But when I visited the house a year later, I noticed the rats up there running around again.

Roof rats (rattus rattus) are not so fierce or aggressive like the basement or sewer rats (rattus norvegicus). They just like to nest up top and snatch berries and oranges or whatever they can find in the trees. But yeah, they shouldn't be up in your attic. I didn't like it when the rats ate up the oranges!

Good luck.

Last edited by worldlyman; 01-22-2011 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 10:00 PM

61,688 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Hmmm... I would say - squirrels. When they run, they make pretty fast, loud tap-tap-tap noise. I think that the rats noise is not quite so loud.
Rats make squeaking noises, whistles and chirps. Where ever rats are they will also leave evidence by droppings or gnawing marks. Rat dropping sizes range from ½’’-¾’’in in length. Tracks can also be left behind by rats in muddy or dusty surfaces.

Check if you can find any droppings. Squirrel droppings are round, rat is long. See here:
http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/...rrel_facts.htm

Put some flour on the floor, and check for tracks

If you want to know more, please read here:
http://www.pestmall.com/blog/bed-bugs-pages

Hope it helps

Last edited by elnina; 01-22-2011 at 10:26 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 11:42 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Hmmm... I would say - squirrels. When they run, they make pretty fast, loud tap-tap-tap noise. I think that the rats noise is not quite so loud.
Rats make squeaking noises, whistles and chirps. Where ever rats are they will also leave evidence by droppings or gnawing marks. Rat dropping sizes range from ½’’-¾’’in in length. Tracks can also be left behind by rats in muddy or dusty surfaces.

Check if you can find any droppings. Squirrel droppings are round, rat is long. See here:
Squirrel Control with Squirrel Repellants & squirrel traps

Put some flour on the floor, and check for tracks

If you want to know more, please read here:
Bed Bugs Pages | PestMall Blog

Hope it helps
They were pretty thumpy and tap-tap up in my grandparents' attic. I thought they were squirrels at first too...

(That's a cute domesticated rat in the pic. Reminds me of my powder blue rat, Rick...R.I.P.)

Old 01-23-2011, 12:39 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
elnina,
Now that I have seen the tracks - I am pretty sure I have a moose in my attic.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:54 AM

^^^ to be absolutely sure - check the droppings!

Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ to be absolutely sure - check the droppings!
LOL - yeah - a little bigger than a cow pattie. I think it's a moose. Makes a lot of noise, too.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 AM

^^^ FYI: Dr. Jungle says, "We don't recommend a moose as a pet!"
"There are a few challenges with a moose as a pet. Besides having a voracious appetite, it is a huge job to clean up after them!"
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/featured_pets/Dummies_pets/Midge_Moose/MidgeMoose.htm (broken link)

Old 01-23-2011, 06:08 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Ike caused some relocation of the wild life in my neighbor. Someone noticed movement on the side if my house, took out his flashlight and saw rats going up the side. I called the exterminator. They put peanut butter laced traps , huge ones, all in the attic. They sealed everything they could find. The rats can get through anything smaller than a quarter. There was no sign of droppings. No trap ever snapped. I was told that the rats will lay done a trail so others can follow. If you put poison and they go outside to find water, you might also kill big birds and the neighbor's pet. My behind neighbor got raccoons. They made a mess.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
If I find Moose or Bear tracks around my house, I'm leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: