Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 6,702 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

Moving to Harris Co. this fall for spouse's work transfer. Want to rent a house with a pool under $1500. 3-4 bedroom, 2 bath. Haven't seen too many in the chron and wondering if they are scarce to find. Also how are landlords anyone have good or bad experiences? Thanks. Will eventually buy as we get used to the area but want to rent min. 6 mos. Any help greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 03:01 PM

168 posts, read 772,685 times
Check out HAR.com, Prudential & ReMax. Doesn't your husband's company provide relocation help?

Landlords are impossible to predict. Some love their homes, maintain it well and fix what breaks. Some couldn't care less if there's mold, bugs and everything is falling apart. Most do the minimum amount of work necessary and don't like to hear about repairs needed. Be sure you don't spend money fixing anything before getting it in writing that you'll be reimbursed or can take it off next months rent (some friends got stiffed for a dishwasher repair). Read your contract well and be sure to check the house thoroughly before you sign.

I've rented three houses over the years. One guy was grateful for every improvement I made and let me take the cost of materials off the rent as long as I gave him the receipts. The next couple loved their house so much they refused to get rid of the outdated pink and blue flowered wallpaper and almost went spastic when I hung curtains over their pink blinds. The last house was run by a management company and the place was filthy, trashed by the last occupant, had no running water when I moved in and I had to pull teeth to get anything fixed.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,702 times
No there's no help, we are choosing the move.......thanks for the help.....sounds like not much help, law wise? We sold our house relatively easy (got an overbid the day we put it on the market) but we needed to get fire inspections, etc. also here in MA we have to get inspections prior to renting and if you have a slumlord you can complain to your local housing authority. Is there recourse if you just have a horrible landlord?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:40 PM

174 posts, read 666,581 times
I too would love to know how the landlords and tennant/landlord laws are....here in Florida landlords probably could commit murder and still get away with it.....laws here allow them to be slumlords, that's one of the top reasons I want to leave....don't want to get into the same problem there. Can someone shed some light to the laws there? There is absolutely NO agency here to complain to for landlords that don't make repairs.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:14 PM

168 posts, read 772,685 times
Try contacting the Houston Realtor's Association for more info about complaints about landlords. If you don't find anything helpful there then try the Texas Attorney General's office. I'm not sure about how it works with real estate, but I had a problem with a car rental company once that got resolved pretty quickly once I filed a complaint.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:49 AM

96 posts, read 370,988 times
My wife and I are also relocating from PA to the Houston area (Cypress) in the next 60 days. We have found that housing is so much cheaper than PA and the rest of the Northeast. For that amount of money per month, why not buy a home?

I agree with some of the folks on here...Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation is a fantastic resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston