Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,855,428 times

Advertisements

It isn't only apartment dwellers who have this problem. A friend of mine who lives in West U. lost six packages that were delivered to her front door over the holidays but a thief was following the delivery trucks and scooping up packages as they were left on front porches. Now she (along with quite a few others) has here packages sent to her at the office, insuring that there is always someone to receive them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 PM

23 posts, read 86,436 times
Thanks guys, my apt leasing office does not hold packages for their residents. I bought a 1 year box for $132 which i suppose, more than compensates for the hours of traffic and manhours spent driving.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,968 times
It is useful. They accept packages from fedex, DHL, UPS of course, USPS...
They can also setup to where you will get automated emails or phone texts.when your packaged arrived at your box. But I'd get it if you are going to constantly get packages over a long period of time.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:51 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,393,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eainfo View Post
I'm getting fed up with driving back and forth to the ups\fedex distribution center to pickup missed packages. I live in an apartment and therefore packages cannot be left. Furthermore, most packages now a days require a signature of some sort.

I'm thinking of getting a ups store mailbox for ~$130 a year. It may be 'a lot', but it sure saves the hassle of spending x hours a month of driving and waiting at the counter.

Any opinions or other options other than a ups store?
I don't like the way UPS operates either but i wouldn't spend that $130 just because UPS can't accommodate their customers better.

Are you next to a corner store that you can ask to receive packages for you? UPS does drop off at some corner stores or confectioners on contract. I only have to go about 4 blocks to get my stuff.

The thing is the drivers are not allowed to use their phones to call you and say they are on their way and so on. It's not up to the driver, its company policy.

What I have done is give instructions in my shipping address.
Jane Doe
Apt 400, 6995 Watson Street
weekdays deliver to super in 410
weekends home

Old 10-22-2020, 09:55 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,280,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eainfo View Post
I'm getting fed up with driving back and forth to the ups\fedex distribution center to pickup missed packages. I live in an apartment and therefore packages cannot be left. Furthermore, most packages now a days require a signature of some sort.

I'm thinking of getting a ups store mailbox for ~$130 a year. It may be 'a lot', but it sure saves the hassle of spending x hours a month of driving and waiting at the counter.

Any opinions or other options other than a ups store?
I read all the posts to date up to 10:51 tonight. Lots of good information. I will give you my take...

I was busy, I was traveling, my family moved out of the country, and no one to accept packages. I live in Montrose near the 4th Ward, lots of package thefts. I got a UPS box at the store on Memorial Drive (5535). It is very convenient, you get an address with a Suite number, not a PO Box number, so no shippers to date have had problems sending things.

I enjoyed the low rate, but after a year, you get screwed! UPS knows you depend on continuity, and so they raise the rates quite dramatically. In the two years I've had it, I now pay close to a considerable higher rate! They think they can keep raising your rates because you get used to your goods being shipped to the same addresses. Also, all bills, work, etc, anything that requires an address will have to be changed if you move, and they know this.

The only reason I've stayed at the same place is because I am leaving the US after, or shortly after the end of the year, else I would move somewhere else where the rate gets reset to "normal" rates. DirecTV does this too, and then once you leave, they want to suck your d**k to get you back! Same with UPS.

That said, I've had nothing but great service, and the people are so friendly, but their corporate model does not give a shyt about loyalty, it is all about profits. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2020, 02:15 PM

15,461 posts, read 7,516,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I read all the posts to date up to 10:51 tonight. Lots of good information. I will give you my take...

I was busy, I was traveling, my family moved out of the country, and no one to accept packages. I live in Montrose near the 4th Ward, lots of package thefts. I got a UPS box at the store on Memorial Drive (5535). It is very convenient, you get an address with a Suite number, not a PO Box number, so no shippers to date have had problems sending things.

I enjoyed the low rate, but after a year, you get screwed! UPS knows you depend on continuity, and so they raise the rates quite dramatically. In the two years I've had it, I now pay close to a considerable higher rate! They think they can keep raising your rates because you get used to your goods being shipped to the same addresses. Also, all bills, work, etc, anything that requires an address will have to be changed if you move, and they know this.

The only reason I've stayed at the same place is because I am leaving the US after, or shortly after the end of the year, else I would move somewhere else where the rate gets reset to "normal" rates. DirecTV does this too, and then once you leave, they want to suck your d**k to get you back! Same with UPS.

That said, I've had nothing but great service, and the people are so friendly, but their corporate model does not give a shyt about loyalty, it is all about profits. Good luck!
Why does that surprise you? Businesses exist to make a profit, not provide services out of the goodness of their hearts. If you don' t like the price, go elsewhere.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:32 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,496,767 times
we have a shop which offers mail box,shipping via USPS,UPS,Fed Exp and sell cell phones and offer fax,copy,internet services
They used to charge $1 if all you do is drop off USPS packages as they claim they are not the post office.
Now they have a huge box where you can drop off USPS packages Free and I mean a huge box,it must measure 4 ft by 3 ft by 3 ft deep and it is always full by the time USPS postman comes.
I cant imagine how the mailman comes each day to empty that box?
and do they get paid for accepting these USPS packages?

Old 10-24-2020, 02:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,496,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

Prices for goods and services have gone up everywhere.
My homeowner insurance premium have gone up,so is my property tax.
Look at postage,!
$11 for a booklet of first class stamps

Old 10-25-2020, 03:30 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,280,433 times
Default Not surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Why does that surprise you? Businesses exist to make a profit, not provide services out of the goodness of their hearts. If you don' t like the price, go elsewhere.
I can assure you, I never said, or implied that I was surprised. As well, I mentioned why I don't go elsewhere. I understand where you are coming from though, I agree with your sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: