Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,516 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning a trip out to Katy to see if it's somewere we would like to move to. We've been looking online but I would like to locals info about neighborhoods? I usually work late hours and would like to find neighborhoods where my wife would feel safe at home alone. With that in mind, we're also looking on the lower end of the home buying scale. Any advise to keep us out of the "ghetto" if you have any there would be greatly appreciated. Thank in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 09:15 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,777,920 times
North of I10 will give you more bang for your buck, cinco Ranch is top neighborhood in katy. My wife and I rented an apt. in cinco ranch(there is only one or two in the neighborhood) and took our time durring our last visit touring all of the subdivions, but when kept finding ourself talking about how nice cinco was and going back to look at homes in that subdivion. I think were going to buy in cinco (you can't go wrong), but keep in mind that they will be building homes in katy for the next 10 years so there's no need to rush.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:52 PM

212 posts, read 1,274,491 times
You will not go wrong with neighborhoods south of IH10 in Katy ISD. Anything north you have to take a second look, some of the neighborhoods just are not the quality you will find south. There are other great places other than Cinco Ranch. Cinco Ranch is wonderful, but you should also check out Pine Mill Ranch. They have moderatly priced homes...that are designed very well. Also, a future elementary school in the area.

If you are not stuck on Katy, also check Bridgelands in Cypress and Cypress Creek Lakes...at Fry Rd and 290. Both are very nice, infact I love Cypress Creek Lakes, all very quiet with lots of green areas. Schools close-by.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:27 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,453,331 times
What part of town will you be working/commuting to? Katy's great if you're working in the Energy corridor or West side, but don't limit yourself.

Personally, if I were working on the Westside, I'd choose the more established neighborhoods in the West Memorial area (ie. Wilchester, Nottingham Forest, Westchester, etc). Nicely wooded, with a lot of character. Older homes, but many are renovated. One of the cooler suburbs, IMO.

Ditto on Cypress Creek Lakes/Bridgeland/Blackhorse. It's everything South Katy is but nicer. Also, If you like trees and a more woodsy atmosphere, check out the neighborhoods north of 290 in Cypress. Very nice with the top-rated schools in the highly-acclaimed Cy-Fair ISD.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 07-15-2007 at 10:36 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 07:52 AM

37 posts, read 207,348 times
I agree with Mr. Football. I think you need to see where your employment is located and then fan out from there. One of the great things about Houston is there are TONS of good neighborhoods all over the city in all pricepoints.

i actually live in the area he mentioned in West Memorial. The market is crazy high here. Some more affordable neighborhoods in this area is Nottingham West, Nottingham Forest, Thornwood, Westchester, Ashford Forest and Ashford Hollow. Also, along the Energy Corridor is nice off Eldridge. Lakes of Parkway is nice and very affordable. Barbara Bush is the elementary school.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:17 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,426,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
What part of town will you be working/commuting to? Katy's great if you're working in the Energy corridor or West side, but don't limit yourself.

Personally, if I were working on the Westside, I'd choose the more established neighborhoods in the West Memorial area (ie. Wilchester, Nottingham Forest, Westchester, etc). Nicely wooded, with a lot of character. Older homes, but many are renovated. One of the cooler suburbs, IMO.

Ditto on Cypress Creek Lakes/Bridgeland/Blackhorse. It's everything South Katy is but nicer. Also, If you like trees and a more woodsy atmosphere, check out the neighborhoods north of 290 in Cypress. Very nice with the top-rated schools in the highly-acclaimed Cy-Fair ISD.
I really don't see the difference in between Cypress Creek Lakes.Bridgeland/Blackhorse and South Katy. South Katy is real nice, and there are many mansions in Lakes of Buckingham, Lake Forest (where Yao Ming lives), Kelliwood, and Green Trails Estates. I prefer South Katy over that area of Cypress, but the Bridgelands will be a beast.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,586,048 times
I can't understand why everyone on this board seems to insinuate that anything North of I-10 is unacceptable

While Cinco Ranch is nice - if you're on a budget, it's not realistic. Not everyone can afford to purchase a $200-$300k home.

Now, I will agree that once you start to go further North near CFID, there are some neighborhoods that get a bit shady, but to just insinuate that South of I-10 is the best choice is downright misleading.

There are some shady areas South of I-10 also, but the bottom line is that for the most part Katy is a great area, regardless of whether you're North or South of I-10.

By the way, I live North of I-10 (a hop and jump) and several friends that live in Cinco and the only obvious difference is the square footage and interior design.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 PM

960 posts, read 2,754,046 times
Ehhh, whenever I read the word "Katy", it reminds me on why my friend was glad to move out.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:13 PM

212 posts, read 1,274,491 times
ayannaaaliyah, what part south of IH10 in Katy ISD is "shady"?

No one has said that living north of the freeway is unacceptable, just that I dont know of an area on the southside that is not OK. There are plenty of neighborhoods north that are not great, that are close to becoming poor investments...OR that are next to a area of high forclosures...etc. That is why you have to really know what you are getting into and look at the areas at all times of day...this includes ANY HOME PURCHASE. But its difficult to find a bad area south, not so difficult north.

I live on the north end, also.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:35 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,586,048 times
Charris, while I can agree that purchasing South of I-10 might be a better choice (as of now), my comment was that everyone who gets on this Board when talking about Katy, only seems to suggest Cinco Ranch. While that is fine, that may not be cost effective for the "average" person.

In terms of neighborhoods South of I-10; try West Memorial (immediately South of I-10). There are many foreclosure properties there which could prove to be a poor investment. There's a community within Cinco also that's suspect (can't think of the name right now), but the point it this:

I would like to see more people being realistic. The reality is this, while the South side may be ideal "storybook" community, you can't give people the impression that ANYTHING North of I-10 is HORRIBLE or a BAD INVESTMENT. That's simply just not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston