Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM

22 posts, read 92,593 times

Advertisements

I moved into a gated community in a developing neighborhood where they are still building houses. Since we've been here the gates have always been open during the day and they close at 8pm and open sometime in the early morning. I was under the impression, although annoyed, that the gates would be closed once they get done building houses. Recently we got a notice that said that the gates will stay open indefinitely because the board couldn't come to an agreement with the schools on being able to close the gates. So the gates will stay open during the daytime all the time so that the buses could get through. We have tags that open the gates up, I don't really understand why they wouldn't give it to the buses. I'm a little po'd that our gates are always open but we are paying for a gated community. Oh and I forgot to mention we have tons of solicitors that come by and a few months ago almost my whole street got their cars broken into. I am very paranoid so I do notice weird things going on in our neighborhood. The other day this woman in an SUV kept dropping this guy off in different parts of the neighborhood and he would walk around for awhile and then she came and picked him up, they did this three times. Now let me get to my questions, hopefully someone can help me out.

1. What do buses usually do when entering gated communities, do they have their own ez tags?
2. Should I confront my HOA about the dues I'm paying for a gated community that's gates don't close?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 AM

407 posts, read 1,735,853 times
I would sure talk to the HOA about the agreement with the schools and find out what the problem was. However keep it civil (you used the word confront), just get the facts and offer to help if possible. They may have a good reason. Does this area have a lot of gated communities? I could see how that would be a problem for the buses.

I asked my kids about the 1 gated community that their bus goes into. We're in Tomball ISD. The gates are closed and the bus does go in. My daughter said the bus driver "pushes a button" and if they have a sub they enter a code at the gate.

However I've noticed that at the Vintage subdivision in Klein ISD on Louetta road (a busy road), the Klein buses do not go in. The bus stops on Louetta, outside the gate and drops the kids off. There is enough room that the parents are waiting outside the gates. Maybe there's more to that story but I've seen the drop off several times and it always surprises me.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,754 times
Buses do not enter the gated section in our neighborhood. Parents and children gather at the entrance in the mornings and afternoons for bus pick-up and drop-off.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:57 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amood06 View Post
I moved into a gated community in a developing neighborhood where they are still building houses. Since we've been here the gates have always been open during the day and they close at 8pm and open sometime in the early morning. I was under the impression, although annoyed, that the gates would be closed once they get done building houses. Recently we got a notice that said that the gates will stay open indefinitely because the board couldn't come to an agreement with the schools on being able to close the gates. So the gates will stay open during the daytime all the time so that the buses could get through. We have tags that open the gates up, I don't really understand why they wouldn't give it to the buses. I'm a little po'd that our gates are always open but we are paying for a gated community. Oh and I forgot to mention we have tons of solicitors that come by and a few months ago almost my whole street got their cars broken into. I am very paranoid so I do notice weird things going on in our neighborhood. The other day this woman in an SUV kept dropping this guy off in different parts of the neighborhood and he would walk around for awhile and then she came and picked him up, they did this three times. Now let me get to my questions, hopefully someone can help me out.

1. What do buses usually do when entering gated communities, do they have their own ez tags?
2. Should I confront my HOA about the dues I'm paying for a gated community that's gates don't close?
Keep in mind a HOA is usually a volunteer board that is "elected." I put that in quotes because I don't think most people bother voting, let alone serving on a board like that. Speaking from current experience, they can be very dysfunctional, which is a shame because the community suffers. But again, the only way to change that is to step up and get on the board yourself, which requires a time commitment (and commitment of patience).

Old 12-09-2010, 05:58 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
All the yard crews have the codes..and they tell two friends, who tell two friends who tell two friends....

Old 12-09-2010, 07:01 AM

430 posts, read 1,256,476 times
The gate code for our community changes every month (for those without EZ tag) and the bus drivers are given the code. We've had no problem. I assume you're paying a premium in HOA dues to live behind gates so yes, I would definitely bring it up with my HOA. Hopefully others in your community feel the same way and can add pressure to the HOA to change their open gate policy.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:32 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
All the yard crews have the codes..and they tell two friends, who tell two friends who tell two friends....
All of whom are too drunk to remember...

Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,288 times
That would tick me off a little bit. You pay a premium for a gated community, and now that construction is finished, they should close the gates. An arrangement needs to be made to have the buses drop off at the gate and not actually enter the subdivision. That is what most gated communities have, as the road is actually usually a private road in a gated subdivision and buses don't usually enter.

If the subdivision is just too large and buses MUST enter, they need to given gate tags or a remote.

I would certainly protest this (politely) with the HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: