Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,685,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
I'm a shotgun kinda dude. I have a 28 O/U Caesar Guerini next to the bed. That's just how I roll.

Ronnie
That is an exquisite firearm. Would be a shame to get the blood of a scumbag on something so beautiful. That's why I love my Remington 870 w/18" barrel. It's tough, cheap, accurate and was made to disembowel an intruder who's high on PCP .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 PM

834 posts, read 2,688,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
Would you mind telling me how much such an alarm system would cost per month? If I buy a single family home, I need to factor in all costs.
This house that we are living in was pre-wired when purchased (all doors, all windows - no motion sensor). The company we decided to use is Anchor Security (monitoring done by Monitronics). We liked them, I would recommend them. The monthly fee is $27.95+tax. I basically added additional equipment that I wanted, which I just paid them for the equipment & installation. Monitoring fee stayed the same.

I added 2 glass break detectors in two areas in the back of the house (glass french doors/big glass windows). These were $150 each. The cell backup (in case a burglar cuts your phone line) will help ensure that the alarm trigger will get to the police. This one was about $360, but they had given me the option to may monthly ($12/month until paid). They also tweaked my garage keypad to add a light in the garage. When I come home and open the garage door, I will see the light green (not armed), red (armed), blinking orange (break-in)...allowing me to decide to stay or get out even before walking in the door. Oh, and we also added 2 fire detectors and 1 carbon monoxide. These were $150 each for the equipment.

I previously lived in another older house, where there was no alarm system installed. I opted for getting a wireless system at the time with ADT. I got a cell backup unit (no phone available to where the box was installed) and all doors with a detector. The windows - some of them didn't even open because it was an older house, so we got those little hinges that you get at the hardware store to lock the doors up. You can screw/unscrew as needed. But once in place you cannot lift the window open. I also got 2 motion sensors and 2 glass break detectors. I don't recall the full installation price, but it was around $1500, monitoring fee was about $53.

I would recommend you shop around with some of these vendors..there are others in the area for inexpensive monitoring fees. I think there is an older thread about alarm companies here on City-Data Houston. Don't give in by salesperson's pressure - they will scare the heck out of you so you can get the system installed "tomorrow". Think of what you would like to have and compare the packages provided by them - initial cost + monthly monitoring.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:08 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,500,504 times
Security is part perception and part reality. You could be in the safest neighborhood but if your nerves are easily rattled, or if you watch too much Law and Order SVU, you still wouldn't feel safe. And that, can quickly take away from your quality of life, don't discount the 'perception' part. You seem like you're very nervous from recent happenings at your apt so maybe a condo in a highrise with security cameras and guardmen will be the only place where your mind can rest. I've been to the Mark and it seems like a fortress, and I believe you can freely change your lock as often as you please. One great thing about hirise living is that there is only 1 front door to enter -no windows nor garage nor backdoor, and you even need a key to get into the elevator after bypassing the guardman and valet. Condos have their negatives too, as mentioned before, but I'm just saying if you're nervous, it may be the right thing for you. I know that gates offer a false sense of security, but I like that false sense...works for me if it's the right type of neighborhood. I also find high prices of houses offer another false sense of security that works for me -the (faulty) thinking is that rich people are less likely to have bad visitors and more likely to have patrols/alarms/guns/security cameras/maids...which will deter criminals overall.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,714,404 times
Carole, I know two older single women who live in the Tealwood highrise condos on Gessner in 77024. It's really neat becasue it's smack in the middle of a heavily wooded neighborhood so the view is an ocean of tree tops. You'd have easy access to I-10 & the new Memorial Medical Center is right there a few blocks away.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,228,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
I also find high prices of houses offer another false sense of security that works for me -the (faulty) thinking is that rich people are less likely to have bad visitors and more likely to have patrols/alarms/guns/security cameras/maids...which will deter criminals overall.
That's true even in solid middle class neighborhoods with alarms and patrols. Crime locale is usually a matter of convenience - if a neighborhood is more difficult than another neighborhood, the criminals will go the easy route.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:57 PM

61,962 posts, read 87,612,175 times
I feel pretty safe in my neck of the woods. I do walk around in the evening and sleep with open windows lately I see, others do the same...

Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 PM

784 posts, read 3,126,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
What's your price range? I'm sure all of us can ramble off several. You won't find many in the Master Planned Communities though. They're mostly are in the 1960's, or before, built neighborhoods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Carole, I know two older single women who live in the Tealwood highrise condos on Gessner in 77024. It's really neat becasue it's smack in the middle of a heavily wooded neighborhood so the view is an ocean of tree tops. You'd have easy access to I-10 & the new Memorial Medical Center is right there a few blocks away.
Tealstone? Way out of my price range--at least the only ones for sale now are.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,714,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
Tealstone? Way out of my price range--at least the only ones for sale now are.
Oh shoot, yes I meant The Tealstone. Just looked in MLS & it looks like the average 2 bedroom unit there sells in the upper 200's. I wan't sure of the prices in there when I posted.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:43 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,535,924 times
I have knowledge of the west side of town so I'll stick with that. But neighborhoods in Spring Branch closer to Gessner and the Beltway on the north siden have plenty. The single family neighborhoods are very safe and there are many in your price range. There are townhouses in there ( don't know much about them), but in general you will havve a yard. I would try to find something south of Long Point though, with the exception of a few neighborhoods. I know a couple that bought in Springwood Forest and they love it. Looks just like Wilchester and Frostwood for 1/4 the price.

Sometimes patio homes in Fleetwood/Barkers Landing area come up in your range.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,609,091 times
Carol F: Not sure where you work or what area you're looking in; I just did a quick search on har in my area. These are at the top of your price range, but I would definitely call this neighborhood safe.

3700 W Clay St 230, Houston, TX 77019 - HAR.com

3231 Allen Parkway 1305, Houston, TX 77019 - HAR.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: